duty to inform case dash cam video

crb

This is not me in the video I'm just helping to spread it. Canton cops are supposedly bad I've heard lots of complaints. The police are the largest organized from ring in the nation. My ccw instructot told me that and he is familiar with Canton pd.

That was a painful 17 mins.

Officer was out of line, but I'm sure they're probably under some stress - no real excuse though. Some of the officer's commentary was totally unprofessional to put it politely.

And even if the driver was 100% within his rights, he's definitely asking for trouble rolling around with a chick he knows from driving a cab :rolleyes: and offering rides to other strangers in the middle of the night in a shady area of town. 100% legal, but he doesnt appear to be the brightest bulb in the bunch.

Last minor side note, whoever transcribed that video needs a grammar and spell checker. "Anit-cop" and using 'and' instead of 'an' while asking for people to donate money just rubs me the wrong way.

I am a LEO myself and there are definitely horrible officers that give the public a very negative perception of law enforcement. This in turn makes it harder for the other decent officers to accomplish their job. It is definitely unprofessional and inappropriate for the officer to yell at the driver. Once the driver is already handcuffed and is seated in the rear of the patrol car...there is no reason at ALL for him to continue to berate the driver especially when there is a dash cam in the car. On the contrary, the driver is not exactly the brightest crayon in the box. He had many opportunities to tell either officer, "I have a CCW permit and I have a gun on my person". I believe the subtitles lead the viewers to believe that the driver did not have any opportunities. Tactically, both officers are not safe. You detain all persons on scene or exercise some type of physical control before you take your eyes off the driver to search the car. Maybe the audio was not captured, but the second officer should not have been searching the vehicle unless he either had consent from the driver or the driver was already being arrested (then it would be an inventory search of the vehicle prior to it being towed).

:nono:

• Upvote 1

I would recommend the driver file a formal complaint' date=' but we all know that's just a placebo put in place to appease the public.[/quote']

Most departments should have rules and regulations that prohibit against unprofessional behavior, conduct unbecoming of an officer, and the use of vulgar language. If the driver filed a complaint, the officer would probably receive some type of suspension because it is clearly captured on video.

Also an LEO, I took the job becase the local GM plant was'nt hiring former sniper-spec ops guys. My one academy instuctor (later one of my bosses) called me "somewhere right wing of Atilla the Hun". I am VERRY PRO Concelled Carry. I may be a bit spoiled, my dispatch is VERRY good at informing me of drivers with CCW. I have had a couple occasions where drivers failed to inform me that they had CCW and I corrected them in a professional manor. Now I work as a Deputy and my patrol area is rural but I was SWAT and Violent Crimes TF for several years in the city of Youngstown so I know the stess that is felt in that enviornment. That being said... Wiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over?!?!?? For a LEO that is so coincerned over "officer safety" he seemed rather cool approching a unsecured vehicle with his light in his gun hand. I know its stressfull. It's dangerous and thankless more than its fullfilling. But damn, dude. Did the driver make a dumb call on who he hangs with, where he is and what time? Sure. But he DID follow all orders. I'd be willing to rack alot of it up to officer stress, but my gut screams "dickhead"

Also an LEO, I took the job becase the local GM plant was'nt hiring former sniper-spec ops guys. My one academy instuctor (later one of my bosses) called me "somewhere right wing of Atilla the Hun". I am VERRY PRO Concelled Carry. I may be a bit spoiled, my dispatch is VERRY good at informing me of drivers with CCW. I have had a couple occasions where drivers failed to inform me that they had CCW and I corrected them in a professional manor. Now I work as a Deputy and my patrol area is rural but I was SWAT and Violent Crimes TF for several years in the city of Youngstown so I know the stess that is felt in that enviornment. That being said... Wiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over?!?!?? For a LEO that is so coincerned over "officer safety" he seemed rather cool approching a unsecured vehicle with his light in his gun hand. I know its stressfull. It's dangerous and thankless more than its fullfilling. But damn, dude. Did the driver make a dumb call on who he hangs with, where he is and what time? Sure. But he DID follow all orders. I'd be willing to rack alot of it up to officer stress, but my gut screams "dickhead"

If the officers were using the appropriate tactics, they would not have been in this situation. It is too EASY to conduct a pat down search (for their safety) of the two individuals outside the vehicle and place them in the rear of the patrol car until you have everything figured out. Personally, I like to deal with one person at a time. Also when working a two man car, one officer is the contact officer and the other officer is the cover officer. Only one officer should be interacting with the driver or passenger.

Although the officers may have been in the wrong, I still do not believe the driver is exactly innocent either.

Edited by lammiepie615

On another side note, if you have a CCW permit and gun on your person...familiarize yourself with the laws. When in doubt, ask or research. If you don't follow the laws precisely, you can have your weapon seized as evidence, your CCW permit revoked, end up in jail, and have a CCW permit violation on your criminal history.

I have been waiting for this video to make it public. Driver is a dumbass for many reasons but didn't deserve the treatment he was handed. I would have made that stupid hot headed cop’s head explode with real stupid replies once I figured out his demeanor. Threatening to execute someone who is detained is probably not his brightest moment and I'm going to guess it isn't his first act of stupidity.

Getting rid of this ignorant duty to inform should have been part of the latest changes to the CHL. Hopefully it will go away with the next round of changes. Ideally working up to eliminating the need for a license at all.

I have been waiting for this video to make it public. Driver is a dumbass for many reasons but didn't deserve the treatment he was handed. I would have made that stupid hot headed cop’s head explode with real stupid replies once I figured out his demeanor. Threatening to execute someone who is detained is probably not his brightest moment and I'm going to guess it isn't his first act of stupidity.

Getting rid of this ignorant duty to inform should have been part of the latest changes to the CHL. Hopefully it will go away with the next round of changes. Ideally working up to eliminating the need for a license at all.

I don't think the duty to inform will ever be eliminated due to its need for officer safety (similar to the justification for pat down searches). It's nice to know what kind of situation you are rolling up on.

As far as the duty to inform aspect I agree it needs to stay. I also think punk (again) is right in the spirt of the statement he made............ Wait for the "BUT"

The CCW class and issued license in Ohio is not all that restrictive. Hey, I know most of us who show the social reponsibilty to even discus this stuff know the law and the ideas behind it. Those of us who grew up repecting firearms are becomming a minority. I don't mind the idea of the class and regulation. Call it my beleif in a "well regulated militia" and reponsible gun owners.

I've been stopped all of 4 times in the 2 years I've had my chl. 3 of 4 in my opinion were based off a stereotypical truck in a cookie cutter neighborhood. Never any issues or citations but EVERY time the cop has approached ME & after his greeting I inform immediately. Thank goodness I haven't come across any rogue genius like that. :nono:

I don't think the duty to inform will ever be eliminated due to its need for officer safety (similar to the justification for pat down searches). It's nice to know what kind of situation you are rolling up on.

Our sheriff in town is a customer of ours and I get to talk with him frequently. When we were talking about concealed carry he said to him it made no difference because you treat everybody as if they have a gun. When I you do that you are never surprised if someone does.