duty to inform case dash cam video

crb

That guy is probably going to have enough $$$ to buy all the hookers he wants from now on.

As for the CPD, I've decided not to carry in or near Canton, heck, make that whole state of Ohio until the requirement to inform is removed (I know, don't biotch but do something about it).

In Hillbilly we're not required to do it and the CCW isn't linked to our vehicle registration. I refuse to tell any LEO what he doesn't need to know or specifically asks me - too much information doesn't work in my favor and giving consent for a search also doesn't but if I have nothing hide, then I'll concede.

The only time I was pulled while carrying concealed in WV, I handed the Deputy my CCW permit with my license (not required, either), proof of insurance, and registration. He looked it over, never asked me if I was actually carrying, proceeded to lie about seeing my vehicle swerve in my lane (I saw him come up on my six and maintained 68 mph in a 70 mph zone per my GPS) and I proceeded to inform him very directly and respectfully that my vehicle did not swerve as he had claimed. He handed everything back, told me to be safe, and have a good day.

And just as an FYI, I've been through the hiring process to become an LEO so I'm not anti-police.

Locally a bit has changed in how our radio room lets us know about CCW'd registered owner on a traffic stop. They CLEARLY advise us if the person linked to a plate has a CCW. Now if that's because of this case or not I don't know. I have had several times had to remind drivers to inform me of the CCW, but I'm kind of polite about it and I allways thank them for taking the time and training to bother getting it, don't screw it up. I think this video has made me think abit more on how CCW holders and patrol officers handle them selves.

My wife's car is registered in my name. She knows that any officer pulling her over will be advised that the registered owner has a CHL, and for the sake of simplicity she will actively inform that she does not have a CHL and she has no weapons.

I've only had one interaction with police while carrying - I informed; "I am required by law to inform you that I have a CHL and I am currently armed." Took him a few seconds to think - lookedliek he thought I was threatening him, then he asked for my permit and DL and it all went fine from there. I had called in a burglar alarm going off at my neighbor's house.

Another occasion someone smashed a couple of mailboxes on the street and my CCTV caught some crappy footage. I called it in anyhow. No mention was ever made of CCW (I was not carrying) and finally the officer ran my DL ("In God we trust, everyone else goes through the computer.") I was standing outside his cruiser window as he ran me through his computer and I saw the big red alert show up. I asked if that was my CHL status. He said yup. I said I didn't inform because I wasn't carrying and he said it wasn't a problem.

Edited by Scruit

• 2 months later...
Friend me on FB. You'll see how I really feel. (well, not really. I closed my FB account a few weeks ago)

NoBama 2012

Why did you close your FB account? Just out of curiosity.

I have a FB account, but don't use it much.

His report created a crime that did not happen. He said in his report that HE "found the gun while patting down" Bartlett - BEFORE he was notified. Even ignoring the two attempst to notify that were stifled by Harless, the still video proves that Harless became aware of the gun when Bartlett gave him the CHL and was asked; "Do you have a gun?"

That should be grounds for some kind fo criminal case...