50cc bike?

Jamez

So I have a buddy that doesn't really ride street but he's really good at track.

He races a Daytona 675R and an Aprilia. I'm always joking with him that he needs to show me how to ride for real. I always ask him cause I've seen his pic in magazines but He usually is very humble and doesn't seem like he want to teach. He also really discourages aggressive street riding.

He's been racing since a very young age and he told me that if I'm serious about learning how to really ride and drag knees and race right to find a little 50cc motorcycle and learn good race habits on that first.

Do most of you guys agree?

I've been looking into 50cc Motorcycles ( not mopeds or scooters ). Some look like sport bikes but I can't find any for sale anywhere. I did find one but they wanted 3K!

Can I mabe start on a 250 that I don't care about lowsiding a few times? They are way cheaper and easier to find.

Any ideas or advise would be appreciated

Oh yea I agree the 250 will be way cheaper, just helping suggest some of the 50cc bikes he was originally looking for. You can flog the shit out of the 250, and when stuff breaks there's no shortage of parts.

250 was what I was thinking as well. I didn't want to laugh at my friend when he suggested the 50cc cause he can ride circles around most people I know and I'm just a noob

Edited by Jamez

the 50cc may be a good bike to learn on, but for me personally, anything smaller than a 125 (like a ttr125 - not a yz125) and i feel too cramped to get anything positive out of the experience....but im a bigger guy too, so that may contribute

i ride a pw85 occasionally and find it harder to ride than a fullsize bike of any cc, just because of its physical dimensions

I roadrace a NSF125 now and it teaches me things all the time!! I started off on a YSR50, and then got a newer NSR50.. Then turned it into the nsf100 4stroke!

If u are small (I'm 5'8" and about 160lbs) you will fit on a mini just fine!! Don't let the size fool ya, once you get moving, it's all good! Plus, if you are bigger, a dirtbike style bike will fit ya just fine!!

I started on a 2000 R6 back in 2000.. I wish I would of started on a mini first!! I thought I was fast, but once I learned how to ride a mini fast, it helped me on the bigger bikes! One major thing is corner speed!! My corner speed was lacking, but after racing the mini and learning on it, my corner speed on the big bikes went up as well! That might be why your friend can ride circles around people, because he sharpened his skills on a smaller bike where you REALLY know and feel the slightest weight change, movement happen faster and make ya react much faster, throttle control and entry speed is key on a mini.. All this stuff transfers over to when you toss your leg over a 250, 600, 1k!

Check out my club, we teach kids and big kids (adults) proper form, race lines, riding styles, race flags and all the basic stuff needed!! Plus, it's cheap fun! At only $25 to race, why wouldn't you do it?? I don't know why more people don't!!

www.ohiominiroadracingleague.com

Bring some gear to any of our events and we will hook ya up on either a 50cc or 100cc 4 stroke bike! Try it out, if u like it, then find a cheap XR100, or NSR/YSR and race with us! I know of a few NSR's around that are cheap! And you can pick up a XR100 for under $1k!

Check out our forum and for sale section!

Hope to see ya at the track sometime!!

Sorry if I missed something, I'm on my phone!

Edited by fireman_343
  • Upvote 1