Whats the good and bad about 03 R1

MadKaw636

Ok so im going thursday to trade my 06 636 for a 03 R1 I dont know anybody that knows anything about these bike what should I be looking for if they have any common problems and what is the good about these bikes too thanks hopefully I get good answers

I know nothing about the 03's but I can say I was pretty partial to my 636. If it wasn't for profiting a shit ton off selling it, I'd probably still have it. Which is saying a lot being a CBR fan boy :lol:

what's the problem with a Yamaha? or is this just another rider with no facts to back his statement? ford vs chevy!! go murica

i vote for the latter.

as for the OP, there are internet trolls complaining of transmission problems but in reality those cases are few and far between. generally the r1's have been pretty solid over the years. just do your basic pre-buy checks as you would any other motorcycle and it'll be a great purchase

I have owned two and never had any problems. The only thing you really need to be aware of is if the bike has ever been down or not taken care of. I am a die hard yamaha fan but will admit that almost all the big name bikes are equal as far as quality and issues. With proper maintenance and care you should have no problems with this bike or any other for years

the R1 is going to feel a lot bigger and heavier, but that extra 45 horsepower will make you forget. The 190 tires are going to be more expensive, and you'll go through them quicker as well.

Soon enough you'll get used to the extra bulk of the R1, but it will be more expensive to ride (gas + tires, if no insurance).

It's not a change I'd make, but if you want more power, you're going to get it.

if you can't wheelie a 636 you cant wheelie a R1 either.

^This.

I can not speak for the R1 but i am on my 3rd R6 and not because of problems i just upgraded through the years too newer bikes. In MY OPINION the yamaha power plant is very reliable as long as the maintenance has been kept up, i would look at the basics before buying such as the oil and things and then obviously do the normal checks. Check the front stay make sure there are no cracks or the bolts are not loose from wheelies and such and also i would check and make sure tire weights and things of that nature are in the proper place and have not been knocked off from abuse. Once again in MY OPINION you can not go wrong with a Yamaha as long as it has been treated decent.

PS. i ragged out my 01 with wheelies and everything else and in the end yes the body and all parts were in not so good shape but the motor never missed a beat!!

2003 R1, The Good: Due to gearing and power, does 98 mph in first gear. Woohooo!

2003 R1, The Bad: The gearing is so damn high, it does 98 mph in first gear. How useful is that?

Sorry, that's really all I remember about my one time riding an R1 of that era. Not very helpful, I guess.

P.S. -- If it were me, I'd also keep the 636. But then it's not me.

Get the R1! I've had three of them now, I really like the 03 over the 01. I believe, it's the lightest R1 to date, it handled well in the corners. I did a Power Commander, HMF slip-on, and a custom tune, and that thing ran great. Also, the rear LED brake light looks bad ass! The bike ran perfect, without any mechanical issues. Good Luck on your choice. Let me know if you have any more questions about the bike!?!

I have worked on and rode many 02/03 R1's and they are PERFECT or a street or track bike. GREAT power down low and high so it can just glide about everywhere. Only major problems is their dam clutch spring and sometimes 2nd gear goes out. Other than that a rock solid bike I would trade a 636 for it in a heartbeat.