Lets talk brake pads....

max power

Ugh. If only you bike was a year older. A friend gave me a set of EBC HH pads that were for his 98 R1, and according to what I'm seeing, they fit up through 05 FZ1! Still new in package, but IP won't take them back past 30 days, and we have no receipt!

• Upvote 1

I could get a good look at t-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butchers word for it.

My apologies for a thread jack, but I couldn't help myself. :D

:lol: that made my night! I love that movie! I still watch it when I see it on a cable channel!

Mine are getting thin. Should I just go OEM, or are the aftermarket pads that much better?

What are your favorites?

For street I stick with OEM. I'm sure there are many considerations in the specification for for performance, operating temps, NVH, durability, etc. that make for a great all-around pad.

I started using Vesrah RJL on the track for more torque. It's easier to modulate braking when it requires less pressure at the lever, but you're probably not doing much threshold braking on the street.

I actually stick with OEM on my truck too. If something worked good enough for the last XX,XXX miles, why risk changing it? When I played with cars I was really picky about brake pads, and ended up with a bunch of sets that I drove a few miles on and replaced out of sheer disappointment - lots of $$ wasted.

For street I stick with OEM. I'm sure there are many considerations in the specification for for performance, operating temps, NVH, durability, etc. that make for a great all-around pad.

I started using Vesrah RJL on the track for more torque. It's easier to modulate braking when it requires less pressure at the lever, but you're probably not doing much threshold braking on the street.

I actually stick with OEM on my truck too. If something worked good enough for the last XX,XXX miles, why risk changing it? When I played with cars I was really picky about brake pads, and ended up with a bunch of sets that I drove a few miles on and replaced out of sheer disappointment - lots of $$ wasted.

just wait til you step up to the SRJL's... :D

Satisfied enough with the RJLs that I'm probably not going to step up to the *price* of the SRJLs. Not to mention I find the descriptions of the 3 or 4 different SRJL compounds confusing enough that I'm afraid I'll end up with something I like less. Something with less intial bite and more progressive torque would be more to my liking though.

The OEM's are ok, but I would like something with less initial bite and a smoother, more linear feel.

I have had the front lever set at its lowest setting so I dont stoppie every time I hit the brakes since stepping up to the FZ from the wooden brakes of the Vmax. I'm getting more and more used to it, but it still seems harsh initially.

EBC rocks. So does OEM. They all are great! EBC is norm $36 a side.. We now carry a new company called DP and they are making great strides to the sport. I can get you whatever you want FAST!

How are the DP clutch parts? Mine is starting to slip and I have seen that brand several times lately.

pluz juan for ebc.... had them on my dirty bikes and my vmax and loved them....not to say i noticed a huge improvement over OEM pads, but i never had a problem with the EBC and they worked great....i wouldnt switch out good OEM pads for them, but if my OEMs wore out i would put the EBC in in their place

Supers are old school. The newest stuff is even better...

EBC is junk. It's cheap and easy to get and therefore, people buy them and seem to be OK with them. If you want life, buy OEM. If you want performance, buy something like the high end Vesrah, SBS, Carbon Loraine, etc.

DP is a cheap brand also and similar to that of entry level any brand. They would be at the level of what I consider EBC to be at.

The EBC comment is not true as most Japanese stuff is more likely Vesrah or similar...

You also have to remember that if someone has a pad and rides with them and feels they are the best, they most likely haven't used others in extreme conditions. If you want really good answers, call a performance shop that works with higher performance bikes and see what they recommend. You just had Riders suggest Vesrah basically.

I highly doubt that EBCs are used in that project R1 or BMW... ;)

Cant beat EBC for the price..

this is what I was thinking when I read Ringo's claim that they were "the best."

The EBC's are a great value, and I'll probably stick with them.

I have noticed some fade at the track, but they've never let me down. Monday it was 95 degrees out, and people with much more expensive master cylinder and pad combos were complaining about brake fade more than I was, so I was pretty happy with mine.

Initial bite isn't too harsh for street use, and they come on STRONG when you realize, "shit; I should have been braking harder sooner..."

(I tested this theory coming into T1 at Summit multiple times. momentarily locked the front once. Going 150-50 is serious braking)

Supers are old school. The newest stuff is even better...

EBC is junk. It's cheap and easy to get and therefore, people buy them and seem to be OK with them. If you want life, buy OEM. If you want performance, buy something like the high end Vesrah, SBS, Carbon Loraine, etc.

DP is a cheap brand also and similar to that of entry level any brand. They would be at the level of what I consider EBC to be at.

The EBC comment is not true as most Japanese stuff is more likely Vesrah or similar...

o im sure it is. i just haven't stepped up to needing that level yet.