School me on flat screen TV's

max power

I still have a 37" tube tv that gets very little use except football season. It was very annoying last year since our living room is long and I couldnt see the scores well from the couch.

I have come across a good deal on this Toshiba http://www.our-picks.com/archives/2010/05/07/toshiba-led-hdtv-55ux600u/ and since I dont know much about the flat screen technology, I figured I'd ask the populace.

Does anyone have a Toshiba? What do you think of it?

Anything I need to look for when comparing?

Here are the particulars:

* 1080p Full HD display

* ClearFrame 120Hz Anti-Blur technology – virtually eliminates motion blur without decreasing image brightness, or adding flicker

* Net TV

* 802.11 Wi-Fi Capable

* 3,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio

* Contrast Ratio 5000:1

* Brightness 450 cd/m2

* Viewing Angle 178°

* Response Time 6ms

* PixelPure® 5G 14-Bit Internal Digital Video Processing

* Cinema Mode 24 fps

* HDMI® Digital Inputs: 4 (2 Side)

* ColorStream® HD Component Video Input (1)

* High Res PC Input (S-XGA, 15 pin, D-sub)

* Dolby® Digital Optical Output

* 2 x USB Ports

* Ethernet Port (RJ45)

* SD Card Slot

* 52.87 x 32.95 x 1.96 inches (WxHxD)

* 62.8 lbs

* Aspect Ratio 16:9

* Formats 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p_60, 1080p_24

I've had a Toshiba for about 9 years, never had an issue with it. I contemplated replacing it, but the picture quality is still good and the TV is working great. So it is still doing its job.

Edit....

Do you have an HD box or planning on getting one? If you are not, the TV is overkill. But if your getting a really good price it will be worth it. The stats look good.

Edited by Meanie

interested in a 55" rear projection?...cheap...LOL

any who stay away from sanyo we have a 42" LCD and its been replaced 3 times...the good part is every time its replaced the 1 yr factory warrenty start over...LOL

my parent have a vizio and love it going on 3 years with no problems

I am a big fan of Toshiba, currently have a 65 inch DLP rear projection that has been flawless going now on 4 years. I have yet to see any plasma or LCD that has a picture any better. I agree on the Vizio comment, and they are the only current made TV in the USA these days.

Vizio are the best bang for the buck

Led is the best

lcd is next

plasma is next

and projection is last unless you get an HD projector

Not true plasmas have better picture than lcds and most lower Hz led. I have a Panasonic 50" and its been great. I originally bought a 55" Samsung and was not impressed.

i was told plasma's fade over time....i dont know this for fact i was just told

They also leak gas. NOT!

I do this for a living. as was stated above, plasma will give u best pic quality, black levels,best off axis viewing, less motion artifacts, etc. Just not good for a room full of windows w a lot of light.

That said, all the stores will try to steer u to an LCD or led because plasmas have no margin left, and they're not "green". U want the best pic? Get a plasma. Even better, get yer hands on a now deduct fujitsu or a pioneer kuro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok just because the technology is "new" (for TVs anyway) doesn't make it "better".

LED is the newer technology. LEDs are supposed to last longer than Liquid Crystal displays (LCD). LED is lighter and thinner in most cases than LCD and Plasma. Is the picture quality better? Personal preference. Most of it depends on YOUR eyes, the size of the room it is placed in, the lighting in the room it is placed in, and the settings you set. (IE contrast, brightness, tint, color, sharpness, etc.)

Is LED worth the money to me at the moment? No, I can buy 2 or 3 LCD/Plasma tv's for the price of 1 LED. Do I carry my TV around with me? Nope. it stays at home.

Plasma and LCD are both great for the prices at the moment. If you find one a price you can live with it go for it. Plasma has probably the best picture of the 3 but again it's a personal preference.

Edit:

I have never heard of a Plasma TV "Fading" My parents have had a Sony for 5 years or so and it still looks great.

I based my reviews on 10 years of Cable television experience. I've seen 1000's of TVs while I worked in the field, and currently work in the Headend (main control center).

Edited by Meanie

They also leak gas. NOT!

I do this for a living. as was stated above, plasma will give u best pic quality, black levels,best off axis viewing, less motion artifacts, etc. Just not good for a room full of windows w a lot of light.

That said, all the stores will try to steer u to an LCD or led because plasmas have no margin left, and they're not "green". U want the best pic? Get a plasma. Even better, get yer hands on a now deduct fujitsu or a pioneer kuro

good to know:usa:

I also have a 50 Plasma and actually they do fade or some do anyways...I saw this after I bought this model when I looked up the review again. I havent noticed it really cuz I guess its gradual and it seems to be only with this panasonic mode...but I love the plasma TV's and you get way more for your money.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10462105-1.html?tag=rvwBody

Edited by Mykill

Btw, vizeo is a warranty nightmare. It might have parts from company "a" this week, but company"b" next week. Ask any tv repair shop, and they will school u in how fast to run from vizeo and the other disposable brands.

Vizios are not made in US and are garbage. Dont waste your money on a toshiba period. Buy a DLP only if you get a service. Plan that replaces bulbs. Buy a plasma or LED only from a mahor brand or you will probably regret it. Any qquestions shoot me your number Max... ask yota how mich he loves his Tv.

I have a Toshiba plasma. I found I am a beat slower when video gaming. I do much better on bedroom tv DLP. Could be because I'm old though but nice tv none the less.

if the delay in your TV is messing up you gameing...YOU PLAY TOO MANY FUCKING GAMES!!!:nono:!...LOL:lol: