Scraped my first peg yesterday

JStump

So I always take the same off ramp to school and it's pretty much a perfect circle, but there is always someone in front of me so I have to take it at like 25mph. Well yesterday I lucked out and there was no one there so I decided to open up the bike and see what I could do. I started out slow because I never have had the chance to really get into a curve like that but by the time I was near the end of the ramp I was at about 50mph or so, not sure exactly cuz I wasnt looking at the speedo but for a second, and scraping my right peg on the ground. I couldn't believe how far I had gone because I have never done that before and I about gave my mom a heart attack who just happened to be right behind me cuz she just got off work. That may have been the most fun I have had on a bike yet, I really wish the roads around here were not all strait :/

Well that's the end of my story lol

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I always take the same off ramp to school and it's pretty much a perfect circle, but there is always someone in front of me so I have to take it at like 25mph. Well yesterday I lucked out and there was no one there so I decided to open up the bike and see what I could do. I started out slow because I never have had the chance to really get into a curve like that but by the time I was near the end of the ramp I was at about 50mph or so, not sure exactly cuz I wasnt looking at the speedo but for a second, and scraping my right peg on the ground. I couldn't believe how far I had gone because I have never done that before and I about gave my mom a heart attack who just happened to be right behind me cuz she just got off work. That may have been the most fun I have had on a bike yet, I really wish the roads around here were not all strait :/

Well that's the end of my story lol

Sounds like you need a trackday t get out open it up and see what you can do on the bike!

Ya man, get some track time and do that stuff in a safe enviroment... If you look clover leafs usually have guard rails or have traffic on the other side... Do the math, you catch a peg or curve feeler, spin the rear, game over. I hope that never happens but take it to the track dude, you don't need to be doing shit like that on the road.

I never once scrapped a peg, toe, knee on the road and never plan to.

Getting a peg to touch isn't really that good, it for the most part means you have crap for body position. The only people I have seen touch a peg are on the edge of crashing, granted stock pegs have feelers that give you some extra room. I have never hit a peg on the street or track and really hope I don't.

yeah thats probably true, I'm still too chicken to take my ass off the seat lol

In that case your comfort zone is way out of whack. Dragging peg feelers on a supersport is almost a final warning - not much tire left there. Learn how to use your body to minimize the lean angle and therefore your margin for error, and if you choose to tear up on/off ramps be aware of what's on the outside.

I drag toe once in a while when I don't slide my foot back to where the ball of my foot is on the peg. I'm also not leaning as far to do it, since I'm on a 250, not a supersport, and I do use body position, although I don't shift my butt as much so far, but I do counter lean. I usually drag turning a low speed corner, or the occasional on/off ramp.

I used to drag peg feelers before I got some track time in and learned how to ride. I haven't touched a peg on the road in years and should have never been doing it. Touching parts while riding WILL put you down and in no place does it show up in racing because it isn't proper or safe.

Please don't use on or off ramps for speed, I can put you in touch with a guy in Grafton who can show you what results he got by doing so a few years ago. I was leading a ride and this guy thought the pace was too slow for him once we got to a boring transition area between good roads that just happened to be a 270 degree ramp. He help back a ways so he could go faster through it than the rest of us. There was some gravel in it that the rest of us (Nine bikes.) made it through but he ended up tangled up with the guard rail. Not a pretty sight and he still doesn't walk well to this day.

Touching a peg does not show you have control over your bike and doing it in a populated area isn't the wisest place to be doing it.

There are rides leaving from close to your area about every other weekend. Try to hook up with the guys who are going down south and you won't want to be riding the cloverleaves’ anymore.

Maybe I need some formal instruction then. I know dick about body position except that on a tight turn I crouch up onto the tank and counter-lean to keep the bike in a smooth arc. If anyone is willing I would be an apt pupil for some lessons in high speed turns.