track bike suggestion for my son

i-Zapp

Hey guys - give me some advice please, looking to pick up a reasonably priced track bike for my son this fall/winter/spring and looking for recommendations.

Here's some details on the kid -

• he's 15 years old, 16 next june
  • about 5-3, 110# (relatively small for his age)
  • riding supermoto on a crf150r for last couple years and now faster than me on my 450; he's been racing since hes been about 5 (off road)
  • bike to be used primarily for track days, unless he shows real interest/aptitude/etc for road racing

Considering an Aprilia RS125 due to its weight and size, and Ninja 250 for its cost. Shying away from a 600 because i really want him to be comfortable on the bike and i am a strong believer in developing skills on a "slow" bike.

thanks!

if you can find an RS125 and don't mind the maintenance, that's a good route. I wouldn't call them "inexpensive" though.

IMHO, a ninja 250 is too small for trackdays. If everyone else had the good sense to start on a 250, they'd be great, but any yahoo in the world can register in beginner on his liter bike, and not be prepared for the EX250 topping out at 100mph. The closing speeds scare me.

And while I think riders skill would improve in Intermediate, closing speeds would increase. EX250 race grids seem really thin in this are too... There aren't a ton of SV's, but there are more.

Is an SV650 an option? Your son sounds like he's got enough experience, and enough size. I was just looking at them myself, and you can find very nicely set up SV's for $3,000 - $4,000. You can find reliable, but less set-up SV's for $2,000.

IF i can afford to race next season, it will probably be on an SV650.

I shy away from the EX500 as a race bike because of the suspension and chassis limitations.

Plus, as noted, especially at trackdays, you get bombed. They are undeniably cheap. I've seen them for $400 in running condition. But rubber options are slim, and unless you're as fast as Tuna, it's hard to race them in very many classes w/o getting clobbered.

I really think racing and trackdays are very different animals for people who are new to the track.

Whether it's for practice, or for races, racing organizations group bikes by performance. Trackdays do not. That can be VERY dangerous for riders that are new to the track. I believe it's technically allowed for a ninja 250 to register in "A Superbike," but it just doesn't happen...

At a beginner trackday though, you could legitimately have a fairly new trackday rider doing 160 as they approach another rider on an EX250 that can barely hit 100mph. That just makes me a little too nervous. At least it would if it were my son on the 250...

The SV650 is no rocket, but it's capable, and will last any new trackday rider or racer a long time. Parts are everywhere, and setup knowledge in the paddock is plentiful.

I really think racing and trackdays are very different animals for people who are new to the track.

At a beginner trackday though, you could legitimately have a fairly new trackday rider doing 160 as they approach another rider on an EX250 that can barely hit 100mph. That just makes me a little too nervous. At least it would if it were my son on the 250...

he's gotta start somewhere. and regardless of what he's on, he's unlikely to be topping out much over triple digits until at least the second or third outing. however, it sounds like when he IS ready, the Ninja just wont be enough. Think i'm gonna keep an eye out for an RS...

Knowing this kid he'll be fine on a RS. If anyone is doing 160 on the straights hopefully they would have enough sense to go around. Maybe for the first couple trackdays the Dad could run as a shadow/blocker like I've seen father's and older brothers do for the kid on the smaller bike. My problem is when someone parks it in the corners and I doubt this kid is going to have any issues carrying good corner speed.

A buddy of mine has an RS250, I think. It kind of blew up earlier this year, and I don't think he wants to get rid of it, but if you have questions about what to look for when buying used, or are looking for sellers, those 2-stroke guys seem to all know each other.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my SV on the track. I've got under $2300 wrapped up in it after 3 seasons. It's only got a little work done to it but it's quick enough to have fun yet forgiving when I get in over my head.

I've also read good things about GS500's, and having a go with a Bandit 400 would be fun as well. But B4's are getting old and hard to find.

• 4 weeks later...

i'd say SV as well.

honestly though, i think by his third time out he'd be just fine on a 600. he's got the basics down. maybe have him try to ride with a sport bike body position next time at the beave, so it's not completely foreign to him when he gets on a sport bike

c29d52ff.jpg

I shy away from the EX500 as a race bike because of the suspension and chassis limitations.

Plus, as noted, especially at trackdays, you get bombed. They are undeniably cheap. I've seen them for $400 in running condition. But rubber options are slim, and unless you're as fast as Tuna, it's hard to race them in very many classes w/o getting clobbered.

You obviously haven't watched Mullins race an EX500... He CREAMS guys on his lowly 500...

The point is that the bike is a great and inexpensive solution to the OPs idea. If anyone thinks the Aprilia is a good choice obviously isnt concerned over limitations in top speed.

If the OP wants an SV, I think that's a great choice, but entry level SVs are very pricey in comparison and really, as competitive as an EX as you'd get older generations or get a Superbike SV that has an undependable motor build...

I would suggest Mullins' EX500 also...