Tactical AR/Urban Warfare class... Questions

Beegreenstrings

My Brother-in-law and I have been talking with a few different ranges. I still need to have a sit down with Briar rabbit. Ft. Harmour seems to be excited about it. That is about as far as we have ventured, so far.

He has been in contact with some of his contacts and we have working on coming up with the, to do list? Sounds good.

I wanted to go a step or two farther.

If you would be interested in taking such a class... What would you want to walk away with, knowledge wise. (we are finding the ranges will restrict us on things we do)... Need to have a specific ledger of what we intend on teaching and have sketches of the firing orders and direction.

I want to know if you attend a class such as this. What do you want to learn.

We have a hefty list layed out now. We tried to stay away from the stuff you can do and learn on your own. We are looking into true urban warfare type things. shooting positions (that normally you cant create at a typical range by yourself). Weak hand strong hand transitions, where why and why not. shooting from cover. team positions and moves where why and when.

We will have to set it up on a weekend and run the course(s) for the officials to make it all good. Ft. Harmour has 1000 + acres to play with so we should be good there. Massive back drops/stops so there is no real worries there. Briar you need to remember has already had a round that made it to town and has insurance issues that we have to abide by.

We are leaning toward Briar, A) because I know the owner personally and B) it is a little more central...

We have been pondering the number one issue so far. Frangible or non-frangible ammo. Those that know about these ammos, know that this is a MAJOR insurance issue! we figure if we construct stands, and use paper that it will cut down on the issue with the ammo. Plus I think that it would take too many people ouf of the equation if we forced the frangible to shoot steel. Where as, if you shoot standard ammo at paper no one really cares.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No go on frangible ammo. You can make target stands for $10 or $15 and just replace the paper/cardboard FYI. What round counts are you projecting?

Are you guys just trying to put together some type of stage/match, or are you actually organizing a class? (I'd be interested in a Vickers, Magpul, EAG, etc. class) What are you working on that is beyond "things you can do on your own?" Shoothouse? Team drills? Breaching? Delta-ninja helicopter insertion?

Here is the skinny. A couple weeks ago we were at Briar. Had the entire rifle range to ourselves. Grabbed some targets and some post. Set some scoreable lamb style targets. and started running 2-2-2 drills and then running our version of the El Press.

Couple of people were watching we did not realize and they came down and were asking questions. Come to find out one was a ATF agent and the other was a local sherrif. They wondered who we were and if we mind if they joined us.

Long story short by the time we were done there was a crowd watching the four of us. Then we went through some urban warfare type shooting.

When all was said and done we were approached to conduct a course. So, now it is just trying to get everything in a row and making it work in a course like form.

The main instructor is a almost 30yr vetran in the armed forces and for the past 20 years has been in the US spec Ops. He has trained approx 278 other spec ops personnel under his command. He has been to just about every class that you can think of multiple times. Magpul (which by the way fellas he was not impressed with), but for the sake of arguement he took Viking Tactics/Kyle Lamb class first.

He did not take "Vikers" actual class but took the class from someone else.

Yes he has fired and taught on a Aerial platform. No we will not be doing such a thing. His last message states he does not think he take a huey out of service long enough to run that many shooters through it. :D

J/K on that last part to any tard that would actually think I am serious there.

I believe A&A has a range designated for this type of exercise. if not, the "sport range" all the way in the back can be rented out for pretty damn cheap.

If you have an LEO back there, I think they pretty much leave you alone...

We had at least 3 at the shoot I was at. Range patrol came back, and I got nervous ...for about 5 seconds. They were just coming to say hi. I didn't even sign a waiver or anything.