Guy rides Detroit to Prudhoe Bay... Pics

Casper

I wouldn't mind doing a trip like this..... Think I could swing it on the f4i?

It's been done on sportbikes by others, so I don't see why not. The dirt /packed roads might be a handful for you.

Have you done many long trips before? I have another trip to Utah scheduled for July 11-21, 2013. Might be a good idea to try a shorter ride like this one first if you're not experienced in long distance travel. Roughly 5,000 miles over 10 days with a 2 day rest in the middle. You're welcome to come along if you'd like.

Ill probably pick up something designed for this type of trip. There are long stretches of gravel roads. The condition of the asphalt isn't that great either.

Are you gonna buy another bike or just use one of the existing ones?

If ya need to buy another one, you should get it before Utah this year.

Can't wait...

IMG_5156.jpg

IMG_5252Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

The dirt /packed roads might be a handful for you.

Have you done many long trips before? I have another trip to Utah scheduled for July 11-21, 2013. Might be a good idea to try a shorter ride like this one first if you're not experienced in long distance travel. Roughly 5,000 miles over 10 days with a 2 day rest in the middle. You're welcome to come along if you'd like.

Ill probably pick up something designed for this type of trip. There are long stretches of gravel roads. The condition of the asphalt isn't that great either.

I'll probably have to wait until after I have a real job then. I don't think my budget is going to allow me to own 3 motorcycles... especially since my car has 216K miles on it :) ... probably need to replace that soon.

I'd like to take a longer trip this summer though. I'm trying to get everything lined up at work so I can at least make it on the gap trip, but I'd really like to head out west. Earache, I'll keep that in mind and let you know if I think I can do it, but it overlaps with some of my sister's wedding planning stuff, so its unlikely. But thanks!

I'll probably have to wait until after I have a real job then. I don't think my budget is going to allow me to own 3 motorcycles... especially since my car has 216K miles on it :) ... probably need to replace that soon.

I'd like to take a longer trip this summer though. I'm trying to get everything lined up at work so I can at least make it on the gap trip, but I'd really like to head out west. Earache, I'll keep that in mind and let you know if I think I can do it, but it overlaps with some of my sister's wedding planning stuff, so its unlikely. But thanks!

We can get the knobby tires for the ride and throw some plastidip on the fairings to protect them and head out the end of june

Weddings are a waste of time. Everyone knows this.:p

I might go out again later in the summer - late August or early September. But it gets too cold in the mountains after that.

We can get the knobby tires for the ride and throw some plastidip on the fairings to protect them and head out the end of june

does it just work like that? Add some different tires and get on it?

The trip sounds really tempting.

.... sooooo, what's your plan then. Ride there on normal tires then somewhere in the dirt/gravel road region switch to these? Ship them somewhere to pick them up when you get close?

I could just ride them all the way, or ship them to the in laws house.

edit The brother in law says that the highway to anchorage is pretty bad in some spots so I would ride them all the way

Edited by shittygsxr

.... sooooo, what's your plan then. Ride there on normal tires then somewhere in the dirt/gravel road region switch to these? ...?

That may or may not work. Most likely the gravel roads turn to muddy roads when it rains (which is a lot of the time) and the mud would pack up between your fenders and the tires. Not much clearance in there on most sport bikes - might need to modify the fender mounts so that there's plenty of room. I think you're going to need a suitable bike.

Having said that, loads of guys do it on "unsuitable" bikes such as HD's, Gold Wings, etc - so it can be done.