My New Toy

2talltim

Picked up my(new to me) 03' Z400. This quad is cherry, the guy i bought it from babied it, he even took the stock plastic off of it the first year and stored them so they would not ge damaged(i have those too). It is completly stock except the nerf bars, seat cover,fornt bumper(he gave me the original), and the trail tech speedo(and maybe some stuff on the bars). It even has the original rear tires on, the fronts were replaced due to a puncher in one.

This bike was maintianed by a pro racing shop that the original onwer is buddies with, and just had a $500 refresh in a few wearable parts, tune up,fluids flush, new battery and carb cleaning and adjustments. Also has a sick sounding exhaust IMHO, they took the orininal can and gutted it and somehow machined and packed it different and put a billet tip on it, it growls with out being too annoying. And he told me it was 95% trail ridden

I'm looking forward to doing some trail riding down in Wayne. This is my first quad and im pumped about it. First things i wanna do to the Z are, new seat cover (i want a gripper), graphics(think about going with the warhawk ones), touch up some of the tubing where the paint is worn from regular wear(might try the DIY powder coat), and maybe new rear tires once ive got the hang of riding it(the worn out ones will work well for learning, it will spin before it flips) but they arent that bad maybe 30% left in them so maybe another year

Here she is...

quad.jpg

If you are going to go through the hassle of stripping the frame down to powder coat it, then buy a gusset kit for the frame and have the gussets welded on before getting it coated. There are several weak points on the frame like the front shock mounts and the subframe.

Also wouldn't be a bad idea to find out if it has an aftermarket water pump. The stock plastic impeller likes to snap a fin off, lodge the impeller, the temp light tends to not come on, the quad overheats, and the piston tends to get a quarter sized hole in it.

Or so I've heard :(

If you are going to go through the hassle of stripping the frame down to powder coat it, then buy a gusset kit for the frame and have the gussets welded on before getting it coated. There are several weak points on the frame like the front shock mounts and the subframe.

Also wouldn't be a bad idea to find out if it has an aftermarket water pump. The stock plastic impeller likes to snap a fin off, lodge the impeller, the temp light tends to not come on, the quad overheats, and the piston tends to get a quarter sized hole in it.

Or so I've heard :(

dont think im going to do the whole frame just the pieces i can unbolt(bumpers, bars, pegs, a arms, ect)only bad thing iv heard about these engines is the cam-chain tentioner going bad, but ill look in the the water pump, thanks

That's just from personal experience. If I were going to buy another z400, my first order of business would be a water pump impeller. That's a cheap piece of $100 insurance that can possibly save a lot of $$ and headaches.

Yes you have the stock suspension. I have had 2 2003 ltz 400, and changed the suspension on both, well bought my second one already done. Its not bad for a beginner but if you plan on doing so jumps or serious woods riding sell the quad and buy a 450. I just bought another 03 with all houser and elka and it makes a huge difference. had it on my last one also. Im not good by any means but you can tell the difference.

Yes you have the stock suspension. I have had 2 2003 ltz 400, and changed the suspension on both, well bought my second one already done. Its not bad for a beginner but if you plan on doing so jumps or serious woods riding sell the quad and buy a 450. I just bought another 03 with all houser and elka and it makes a huge difference. had it on my last one also. Im not good by any means but you can tell the difference.

This, i just got off my dirt bike and bought a yamaha 450 with Elka all the way around and many other things but the forgivness of the Elka suspension is unbelievable!!

Lets get a group OR ride together before the snow!!

This, i just got off my dirt bike and bought a yamaha 450 with Elka all the way around and many other things but the forgivness of the Elka suspension is unbelievable!!

Lets get a group OR ride together before the snow!!

I like my ltz 400 well my 440 but i kinda wish i would have got a ltr 450 instead. I just like the new technology and alot more aftermarket options. Companies are starting to stop making parts for the 400's, well race parts since everyone has switched to the 450's. May try and sell it this spring even though i just got it less than 2 months ago

bowdog, where do you like to ride, or what type of riding do you like?

i will ride where ever, i used to have a good buddy and we would go to his uncles place in Logan where we had a track and all sorts of trails set on 100 acres, lost that spot last year (long story). I go to briar cliff from time to time but looking to get out to other places, I will ride track or trail but now that i am on a quad i would probably prefer trail.

Sounds like a Wayne trip is in order.

You don't need expensive aftermarket suspension bubby. That quad will be fine as is for trail riding as is. Check out the water pump issue and get an off road helmet and gloves and ride the shit outta that thing.

i cant the 1st or the 8th but after that i "should" be able to

I am also in and will have to bring the sammich maker with me but she will ride my hunting quad and is real cool about staying behind at camp when we go on some more spirited rides!! :D

One of you more computer savy people should create a thread and we will start getting a group together for mid to late October. :)

im a off road/wayne virgin so someone else will have to set this up and tell me what to do and where to go

:D I am the same way thats why i was looking for someone that goes there a lot to set up. If we start planning now there should be no reason we can't make this happen.