2012 Kawasaki ZX-15

Sniper_308

Just was looking at my Motorcyclist Mag today, and they have an article in there about the new ZX-15. They said it will probably use the Ultra 300X watercraft motor. It's a DOHC, 16 valve, 1500cc inline four, equipped with a supercharger and intercooler, and will be pumping out nearly 300bhp. Thoughts?

imagezhuc.jpg

I believe 200hp is the limit the government will allow on factory bikes

I am not sure on the government regulations, but the mag said something about unlimited-class machines have no race regulations. I don't know, I just want to ride one, hope all this data is true. The mag did say "to make nearly 300bhp" :bow:

they were going to limit the top speed until the companies stepped up and agreed on 186... I don't know if that is the case with the HP I remember seeing it some where but I don't remember where it might have been some random crap in another rumor about the bike

Good question. Any idea how much the bike is supposed to weigh? I mean...300 hp in a car...

Doesn't really matter, does it? 300hp will rip it regardless of how much it weighs.

Does OUR government regulate max hp on motorcycles? I thought there was a gentlemans agreement between (at least) the Japanese factories to limit top speed (300km/h??), but never heard of a hp limit.

They regulate everything else about them.

Explain. I believe they require seat belts, but what else is "regulated" on a vehicle? Maybe lighting and bumper height? Warning stickers? I think that's honestly it.

gas mileage? Nope. that is a restriction on the auto-maker for their fleet to have an AVERAGE fuel economy of at least XX mpg. That's a business regulation, not a product regulation. GM can still build a 525hp vette, they just have to sell more cruzes to bring their average up.

Crash ratings? That's an evaluation; not a regulation. The manufacturers are allowed to sell a car that gets 0/5 stars on the crash test; they would just never do it. Horrible publicity.

Where would horsepower or potential for speed come into play? I don't see where congress would have the authority to tell a business how their product can (potentially) perform.