East Coast Timing Assn. "ECTA" Ohio Mile

KeithTurk

Depending on the length of the course, weight is probably less of a factor than people are thinking.

Especially on loose ground (Bonneville), it's not uncommon to ADD weight for ballast and traction.

Top-speed is relatively unaffected by mass. If you're on a short course, then the weight will hurt your acceleration, and ultimately prevent you from reaching top-speed in the requisite distance. I'm not sure how much of an issue that is with the distance provided here.

Buy beyond that, a 6' 200 lbs rider in a tight tuck will be able to go faster than a 5' 100 lbs rider with crap form.

Jason Britton went to Bonneville with a rented GSX-R 600. He expected to go 145 no problem. Didn't even get close. Going fast in a straight line is easy. Going REALLY fast in a straight line isn't.

It's not that different from track riding in that regard... You can be proficient enough to not be a hazard relatively quickly, but the faster you get, the harder it is to shave time. The faster you get here, the harder it is to add fractions of a mile-per-hour.

• Upvote 1

I know I can easily make 180

Ah the gauntlet has been thrown down!

I bet you a beer (after the event is over, of course) that you don't hit 180 :D

I'll do the same for anyone with a 600 who thinks they can hit 158 or better.

(p.s. I'm totally talking out my ass with baseless predictions here - but beer's pretty cheap, and I'm relatively confident that most people believe their bikes are faster than they actually are. I'm not insulting anyone's bike.)

just figuring in my head.. since on my bike 7000 rpm is 70. give or take a MPH, and the rev limiter kicks in at 14500 or so. i only got about 145 the way I'm geared now. would like to try to get close to that 150 mark for the prize...

and 200 is a tough mark. :bow:

just figuring in my head.. since on my bike 7000 rpm is 70. give or take a MPH, and the rev limiter kicks in at 14500 or so. i only got about 145 the way I'm geared now. would like to try to get close to that 150 mark for the prize...

and 200 is a tough mark. :bow:

70 mph is 7k on your bike? That sounds like you're either geared way high, or your clutch is badly slipping.

I could do 70mph @ 7k in 3rd or 4th gear... 7k in 6th gear was over 70 mph on my EX500...

You're not accounting for wind resistance in your estimate though. You're probably correct, but by accident. I think 145 is a reasonable top-speed estimate for your bike (with stock gearing), but you if you're going to do an estimate, look at your speed in top gear, half-way up the tach. Then double it, and subtract 20 mph...

Gear's don't fib.... you do the math and it works until you have enough Hp to make it not work.... ( think about Bill spinning his tire say.... 10% at 260mph.... )... hmmm

Basically GPS is Slow to update speeds so it's pretty good but not "right".... and Speedo's make Manufactures hero's... or not..

Oh and once you get over 175.... We want you watching out front..... Just say'n

• 1 month later...
70 mph is 7k on your bike? That sounds like you're either geared way high, or your clutch is badly slipping.

I could do 70mph @ 7k in 3rd or 4th gear... 7k in 6th gear was over 70 mph on my EX500...

You're not accounting for wind resistance in your estimate though. You're probably correct, but by accident. I think 145 is a reasonable top-speed estimate for your bike (with stock gearing), but you if you're going to do an estimate, look at your speed in top gear, half-way up the tach. Then double it, and subtract 20 mph...

I went one down in the front from stock gearing. and stumpalump and I had compared his stock and mine with the change and we are only about 1000RPMs different. and Ive had this gearing since 5000 miles so I highly doubt its slipping. It will run up to the revlimiter in 6th with ease I think I could easily change to stock or a little longer and be over 150.

Seen a youtube vid on a custom ZX10 supercharger build - cant remember the end results for HP/Torque, but it sounded sweeeet.

Also, even though HP helps make the bikes run faster - aero is a major player in applying that power, right? I got plans to improve my power to ground ratio a bit but nothing overboard - I need to work on my body position and getting a good launch, through all the gears clean, and staying tucked tight as I can.

I read on Brocks forum that it takes (on avg) 12hp to push a bikes mirrors down the dragstrip. So multiply that distance by 4 and see what a bad tuck does to your run......

• 5 months later...
yeah whats up with that? how come it goes from 500cc to 650cc?

You think you guys have it rough. I have a 1032 which puts me in a class from 1000-1350 basically giving me no chance at a record. Your 500 is down by 150cc where I am down 318cc.

The guy with the 600 shouldn't be too concerned as motor size rarely means that much in this type racing. I am the crew chief of the Nash Metropolitan that was the first in the 200mph club this past weekend at Ohio. While we are a "C" engine size our records have blown away not only our class but many records in classes above ours. I believe our car set the fastest time (219.94)this past weekend of all attendees. I heard one car went faster (221) but couldn't get stopped before running off the far end which should have resulted in DQ. We broke class records at Bonneville and Maxton last year and the new record at Wilmington this year in a car we took only 2-1/2 months to build from scratch. This LSR racing has motivated me to pull out my old Sportster Cafe Racer and set it up to go top end fast. Hope to see you guys at the next event here and at Bonneville. I am slightly disappointed in the ECTAs lack of results posted still on Tues. If they are posted anywhere can someone direct me to a link?

IMAG1854.jpg

• 6 months later...

Took us a while to sort out a new system... it's going to be like that again... I suspect...we're a group of folks that put on this race out of a love for it... trust me when I say it's tough sometimes to get everything out as quick as we'd like... ( there is a new system that's supposed to make it radically easier...

Anyone else come out this year?