East Coast Timing Assn. "ECTA" Ohio Mile

KeithTurk

Hey guys and gals... Just stopping in to say Hey and Introduce myself and our organization.

My Name is Keith Turk and I'm the Race Director / Co Owner of the ECTA. We have recently been given permission to use the 9000' runway at the Wilmington Airpark in Wilmington Ohio. It is our intent to Hold Land Speed Racing events on the airpark 4 times next year and then hold events as needed in the future. The Dates are firming up and will be posted on our website in the next couple of weeks.

To Read about us or our organization you can check out our website at www.ecta-lsr.com

As a general overview though... we will race for one mile and then time the vehicle in the last 132' to establish it's top speed. It then slows down and clears the runway where upon we send the next vehicle. Once a run is complete you receive a time slip, If your time is a record... you proceed to an impound area where the Vehicle and record are certified. Then you get in line and start the process all over again.

So on and so forth.....now to the actual introductions.... There are 4 principal organizers of these events. Myself and my wife Tonya and our Partners Joe and Donna Timney, All Four of us our Motorcyclist's as well as Race car drivers. Each of us are members of multiple 200mph clubs ( meaning we've set records over 200mph ) Tonya and I are from Southern Alabama and Joe and Donna will be coming from Delaware. ( that's a tiny state out east somewhere)..( think really small )...

Anyway we've been looking for a New home as our lease has run it's course in Maxton North Carolina... We aren't simply looking for a new place to race... we're looking for a New Home, a place were we can have a long term relationship with not only a decent facility but a community as well....

Bottom line.... we're all genuinely excited.... your State and community have truly welcomed us with open arm's...

Thanks for taking the time to read my drivel.....

Be Safe, Go fast, Have fun!!!

Keith Turk

Edited by KeithTurk

Our Rules books are shared with the Southern California Timing Assn. and as such we're not allowed to print them on line....

To obtain one send 10 bucks to

ECTA rule book

206 Sylvan Dr.

Enterprise Al.

Alternatively you can check on our website for some general information.

Okay now that was the Polite and general answer.... the reality is that you have to have full leathers with adequate armor and a Snell 2005 or better full face helmet... there are several things that need to be safety wired as well as the requirement for a Metal chain guard.... ( plastic only keeps the oil off your leg... )

Our current racers have sorted something out I want to share..... Racing isn't always about the "Big Speeds"... it's about doing better then you have before and hot rodding your junk.... pure and simple....

I love racing around 100mph.... we've even had some Very entertaining 60 mph runs over the years..... ( Okay Samantha actually finally broke 71mph on her Sears Alstate )

K

• Upvote 1

We're moving a fairly complicated organization with a lot of moving parts and people.... ( okay not really a lot... but more then I can carry in one trip )...

and we're also going to have to sort out procedures and our process of record setting in an entirely new location... having been in North Carolina for 15yrs it's going to take us a bit and we all have jobs.... so while we currently race 5 times a year.... 4 seemed right to get our feet on the ground

Also unlike Drag Racing... Land speed racers seem to like a bit more time between events to tinker with their Junk..... and frankly the relaxed schedule makes the whole thing really cool.... you don't feel like you have to go racing every weekend....

Oh and do keep in mind our organization started as a test and tune event for people getting ready for Bonneville and the Dry lakes in Southern California.... ( I should mention that many of us are members of the Bonneville 200mph club )...

K

Brock had a write-up on web before listing what it took to get zx14 to 200mph I can't find it right now but I know one was ceramic wheel bearings it really didn't take much

I saw the same kit up for sale on his site couple years ago.......believe this is all it included -

*clutch spacer kit ( maybe with springs? )

*fork strap kit

*rear lowering links

*Brock's full system ( StreetMeg, Alien, ShortMeg ) and drag map

*ceramic bearing set

*maybe sprocket options too?

Current NON-STOCK aftermarket Bolt-on additions include:

1. Brock’s Performance (by Hindle) StreetSmart Exhaust System.
  2. Brock’s modified 2004 ZX-10 Power Commander PC3usb with matching map.
  3. Front forks lowered 1.25 inches in the stock clamps.
  4. Brock’s Complete Radial Caliper Front End Lowering Kit.
  5. Adjustable rear lowering links.
  6. Brock’s Performance (by Spiegler, USA) brake line kit.
  7. EK530DR2 non o-ring chain. (Stock front and rear sprockets--still!)
  8. VP MR9 race fuel.
  9. Alisyn Pro Drive 21 Oil <<0W.
    (<<0W means less than zero weight for race track use ONLY!)
  10. World Wide Bearings ceramic wheel bearing kit.

Here is another list

Current NON-STOCK aftermarket bolt-on additions include:

1. Brock’s Performance (by Hindle) StreetSmart Exhaust System
  2. Modified ZX-10 Power Commander PC3usb with matching map
  3. Front forks lowered 1.25 inches in the stock clamps
  4. Brock’s Performance complete radial caliper front end lowering kit
  5. Brock’s Performance fully adjustable rear lowering links (prototype)
  6. Brock’s Performance (by Spiegler, USA) brake line kit
  7. EK530DR2 non o-ring chain (stock front sprocket)
  8. VP MR9 race fuel
  9. Alisyn Pro Drive 21 Oil <<0W
    (<<0W means less than zero weight---for race track use ONLY!)
  10. World Wide Bearings ceramic wheel bearing kit
  11. Brock’s Performance clutch spring spacer kit
  12. Vortex rear sprocket - 40 tooth
  13. Tiger Racing ZX-14 metal chain guard
  14. Innovate Motorsports LM-1 Digital Air/Fuel Ratio Meter with RPM kit
  15. SpeedoHealer v3.0 with Kawasaki Plug-n-Go wiring harness
  16. Brock’s Performance/Ohlins’ Steering Damper Kit (prototype)

It's at 6 over right now my extensions go up to 9. I was already planning on lowering it this winter and replacing wheel bearings so looks like I'll be buying ceramic

Good timing on the bearing replacement - karma's working for you there!

I've never had ANY intention on setting mine up for the drag strip, but for LSR.......I'll make some adjustments :D

:welcome: Major excitement about ECTA coming to Ohio!! I plan to run next year as well and HOPEFULLY get to join the 200 club
Brock had a write-up on web before listing what it took to get zx14 to 200mph I can't find it right now but I know one was ceramic wheel bearings it really didn't take much

I heard it's not as easy as many think. Many of the lifers in the club laugh at how some think you can buy Brocks package and it happens like magic. We will all see though what our machines can do though. :cool:

I, for one, don't expect miracles out of my ET's since I've got at least 100 pounds on the average rider -- but it's going to be huge fun trying to hit that 200 mark.......especially with SWB and major weight DISadvantage - but who cares? Line it up and twist it wide open for a mile.......who wouldn't smile while doing that?!?!

I heard it's not as easy as many think. Many of the lifers in the club laugh at how some think you can buy Brocks package and it happens like magic. We will all see though what our machines can do though. :cool:

Ya I worded that wrong the list is what Brock said it takes to make the bike capable of breaking 200 it doesn't just magically happen