Test rides

Saacattack

If I know them personally and can vouch for their riding ability, no cash necessary.

If I don't know them personally, I will have my title present (not at the safe-deposit box where I normally keep it) and I expect the purchase price in hand while you go do your thing. If you wreck, we go to the notary to sign the title over.

As far as choice of venue, I'd opt for some place that offers maximum visibility of the rider and your bike. Arming yourself is a personal choice, if I don't know the guy I've either got his money anyway or I'm halfway on the bike to leave.

I have let a buyer ride a bike I was selling. I showed him the title and he showed me the money, that way we both knew that we were able to do business with each other. I then got a deposit from him and put it in my pocket that was enough to cover my deductable if anything went wrong. I knew from talking to him prior to him getting to my house he had ridden a bike before and the gear he had to take the test ride only assured me that I was right. I was selling a ZX12R and at the time I had a ZX6R as well so I took him for a ride around my area. I didn't think he could get away too far from me being in an unfamiliar area.