Why carry a gun?

jblosser

Does "reductio ad absurdum" ring any bells for ya?

How about "sarcasm" ?

...Actually, I'd be willing to bet you're MORE likely to have all three of the above things happen than to need a gun to protect yourself in America.

Read/watch the news much? Homes in "nice" neighborhoods (Upper Arlington comes to mind) are being "home invaded".

"Nice places" such as Easton are being shot up by wanna-be's.

As I've stated in other threads, I never could fight hand-to-hand, and due to my recent nerve/disc/back injury I can't run away very well (actually, can't run at all), so IF something were to happen I'd like to be able to defend myself and my 10 year old.

Do I <think> something untoward is going to happen to me? No.

Do I want to live with guilt the rest of my life knowing I <could> have possibly had a different outcome if I had been using any/all means available by law to protect myself and those with me should something happen? No.

If I golfed, and if I were in the middle of a round, and if a thunderstorm rolled in, would I be likely to get hit by lightning? Probably not. Would I get off the course, just in case? Yes.

You protect (or don't) yourself the way you see fit to, and I'll protect myself the way I see fit to.

Oh, and the post is titled "Why Carry a Gun" because people that carry are often asked why they carry, and are often met with comments/assumptions that the post attempts to refute.

It's interesting that you claim to be pro-gun, yet seem to <almost> be anti-carry, at least to the point where you think it's silly/stupid to carry. Not really sure I'm understanding that p.o.v., but again, to each his own.

I'm not trying to say that anyone should think like me, that'd be just a bit presumptuous on my part, just found an interesting (to me) post on another site and tossed it up here. At least it's made for some discussion, which was my intention.

Was I bein' a bitch? :dunno:

I was attempting to answer in a non-bitchy, non-preachy, logical way.

Guess I need to work on my delivery, or get back to deleting VM snapshots so I can see how much disk I really have available... Probably should concentrate on the script I wrote so I don't kill the entire Production environment. That'd be a bad thing.

Here are examples of fair comparisons:

You might get bit by a shark...you better not swim in the ocean!

You might win the lottery...spend a dollar ever day!

You might get stuck by lightning...don't ever leave you house if the forecast calls for rain!

Actually, I'd be willing to bet you're MORE likely to have all three of the above things happen than to need a gun to protect yourself in America.

I've never had any of those three happen to me, I have however had to protect myself and my girlfriend by opening fire on 4 armed black gangbangers that ambushed us. Her and I were both shot but are still alive thanks to the 9 rnds of 45 acp I was able to return. Yes, I was in america too. Columbus to be specific.

• Upvote 1

Actually there are more people using a firearm to defend themselves every year than all the people that win the lottery, attacked by a shark, and struck by lightening combined.

And even more go unreported.

The most conservative estimate is 600,000 per yr. Others put it over a million. I carry and haven't had to pull my pistol yet, and hope I never have to but if I find myself in a situation where my life or my familys life is in danger and I have no other options I will shoot without hesitation.

I've never had any of those three happen to me, I have however had to protect myself and my girlfriend by opening fire on 4 armed black gangbangers that ambushed us. Her and I were both shot but are still alive thanks to the 9 rnds of 45 acp I was able to return. Yes, I was in america too. Columbus to be specific.

Surely you were somewhere you shouldn't have been?:rolleyes: I am joking of course.....safety is a false sense of security these days, especially in the cities. Glad you two are still among us, wow that had to have been unreal scary? There are allot of gangs in Cbus, I think many are unaware of that. Did you happen to hit any of the bangers with your spray of 45 rounds?

I've been driving 30 years without having an accident. I refuse to carry insurance. I think people who do are just paranoid............... Sounds silly doesn't it?

nope, I'm not carrying health insurance, because the last time I saw the business end of a hospital I was 17 years old. Right now it makes good econmical sense to not throw a bunch of money into the insurance industry. What is a typical health insurance premium? $300 a month?

multiply that by the last 10 years, and I've saved $36,000.... that could buy you a halfway decent house around here.

If it weren't for the law, I would probably forego auto insurance and just drive more carefully. There would be another $20,000 - $40,000 saved.

Edited by magley64

The most conservative estimate is 600,000 per yr. Others put it over a million. I carry and haven't had to pull my pistol yet, and hope I never have to but if I find myself in a situation where my life or my familys life is in danger and I have no other options I will shoot without hesitation.

I call BS on that statistic.

Furthermore, why carry and only pull?

If I carried...which I may start doing because you people are starting to make me paranoid...and I found myself in a situation that justified pulling, rounds would be going down...no two ways about it.

Questions for those that do carry...

Do/would you only pull to shoot?

Do you even consider the possibility of pulling and not shooting?

Please explain your thoughts.

I've been driving 30 years without having an accident. I refuse to carry insurance. I think people who do are just paranoid............... Sounds silly doesn't it?

Not just silly...illegal, and potentially financially devastating.

Also, it's not even close to being a fair comparison.

If I carried...which I may start doing because you people are starting to make me paranoid...and I found myself in a situation that justified pulling, rounds would be going down...no two ways about it.

Questions for those that do carry...

Do/would you only pull to shoot?

Do you even consider the possibility of pulling and not shooting?

Please explain your thoughts.

Discretion.what if you pull and the bad guy turns and runs? Gonna shoot him in the back? Or maybe he says I give up and puts his gun down?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

The findings of the McDowall's study for the American Journal of Public Health contrast with the findings of a 1993 study by Gary Kleck, who finds that as many as 2.45 million crimes are thwarted each year in the United States, and in most cases, the potential victim never fires a shot in these cases where firearms are used constructively for self-protection.[64] The results of the Kleck studies have been cited many times in scholarly and popular media.[65][66][67][68][69][70][71]

Here is another one for ya http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp hope it's credible enough for ya.

* Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18]

* A 1994 survey conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Americans use guns to frighten away intruders who are breaking into their homes about 498,000 times per year.[20]

* A 1982 survey of male felons in 11 state prisons dispersed across the U.S. found:[21]

• 34% had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"

• 40% had decided not to commit a crime because they "knew or believed that the victim was carrying a gun"

• 69% personally knew other criminals who had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"[22]

This number is lower because the other number from wiki included the instances that they believed went unreported. Most people don't report a crime that don't happen.

Edited by kawi kid