f4i for a track bike?

candybluzx6

What r your guys thoughts on getting a 01 f4i as a track bike?

My buddy has an 01 f4i that i am thinking of buying, he wants $1700 for it. It has race fairings, brand new bt-003 tires he is putting a new clutch in it befor i get it suspension is all redone to stock, clip ons, hindle high mount exhaust, power comander and vortex sprockets.

Do u think this would be a good starter bike for track days and maybe be competitive in races down the line?

I started on F4i's. They are nice bikes but they are out-dated. As far as finding suspension components you are going to have limited options. Same with other parts...they are not bad bikes, just not as much aftermarket availability as some other bikes out there like the R6, GSX-R, Kawi, 600RR, etc.

For the price, would be good for track day use....competive in racing....probably not, but depends on your skill level and your competition. In regards to running it in 600 superbike novice classes against newer bikes, then no...

eh, the more I think about it, the more I remind myself that rider skill is the absolute biggest factor.

An F4i is going to be down on top-end power by a bit, but that won't matter until you're fighting for podium spots against riders of equal skill, and newer rides.

If you take any of the guys standing on top of the box on a regular basis, they would all be fighting for a podium spot with pretty much any bike made after 2000 (although the GSX-R's up to '03 were kind of portly).

I'd ride the F4i until it's destroyed. Just resist the urge to sink money into it by trying to upgrade it. at that point you'd be better off just saving for a newer bike, but it still begs the question, "what needs improving? the bike? or the rider?"

I've seen '03 R6's turn damn impressive laps, and beat people on bikes 7 years newer...

I started on F4i's.

So that's your problem

As for racing it, it can be done and you can be somewhat competive. Hell Nick, look at John on the 01 gsxr and finishing top 3 and you know how much of a turd those are.

Edited by blue03636

eh, the more I think about it, the more I remind myself that rider skill is the absolute biggest factor.

An F4i is going to be down on top-end power by a bit, but that won't matter until you're fighting for podium spots against riders of equal skill, and newer rides.

If you take any of the guys standing on top of the box on a regular basis, they would all be fighting for a podium spot with pretty much any bike made after 2000 (although the GSX-R's up to '03 were kind of portly).

I'd ride the F4i until it's destroyed. Just resist the urge to sink money into it by trying to upgrade it. at that point you'd be better off just saving for a newer bike, but it still begs the question, "what needs improving? the bike? or the rider?"

I've seen '03 R6's turn damn impressive laps, and beat people on bikes 7 years newer...

Rider lol I am still far from taking a bike to the limit on the track

^ but that drives home my point about NOT sinking money into the F4i if you buy it. Leave it as it is, or pay through the nose for upgrades.

the exhaust and shock on my bike had to cost $1500 (combined) when they were put on.

You bet your ass I'm not getting nearly that value out of them now that I'm selling it. I don't particularly care, because I bought the bike with those pieces already on it, but save yourself the heartache.

• 2 months later...

An F4i would make a fine track bike, ESPECIALLY if you pick it up for $1700.

The fork springs are light, I put Race Tech springs in mine, and have the stock rear spring. they offer springs and valve kits. to upgrade the stock forks to an acceptable level would cost around $250-300. The cool thing about Honda, though, you can put a different front end on it from newer bikes. say, a cbr1000. Also, a cbr1000 master cylinder would be a good idea as well.

Depending on your height, the clip-ons might hinder you, and if so, theres a write up on how to convert it to below the triple clamp. It requires cutting somewhere, though. If you do that, you'll probably want to relocate the rearsets as well.

You wouldn't have to spend TOO much money on making an F4i a good track bike, IMHO. Plus, F4i's are really tough. There's a reason many stunters prefer this bike. The engine(my 03 has 40,000 miles, and i've seen videos of a 200,000 mile F4i with only regular maintenence done), frame, subframe.

I've heard of the swingarms splitting at the welds, but if you add some washers in between the wheel and swingarm on the axle, you'll be good from what i hear. The swingarm...arms...get pinched too much, putting too much stress on the welds, so you take up the slack with the washers.

For a minimal investment, I'm positive it will meet, or exceed your needs. ESPECIALLY total cost.

I have decided to just use my 08 zx6r for track use. I got it new so i know what has been done and what needs done and I am allready use to it plus i here it is a real good for the track

...no complaints there.