First bike: Cincy

DrewsBrews

Hello All!

Just scored my first bike a week ago. 93 EX500. Runs well but needs alot of TLC in the looks department. Got the title/tags sorted out, and my M temps Saturday. Been out the past couple days for a little bit. fun fun!

Getting to the end of the season obviously, but I hope to hit the ground running next year. Gives me some time to do needed repairs.. Overhauling the forks is probably the most urgent, since the seals are bubbling with rust :nono:

Anyone near Loveland? I'll be moving over there, close to 71, soon.

Edited by DrewsBrews

Welcome to OR. I highly suggest that you replace brake lines, and bleed and check pads. Check tire date code; if over 6 years old...replace, or replace if checked. These things will kill you if not attended to and with a bike that's 10 years old I bet they need to be checked.

Welcome to OR. I highly suggest that you replace brake lines, and bleed and check pads. Check tire date code; if over 6 years old...replace, or replace if checked. These things will kill you if not attended to and with a bike that's 10 years old I bet they need to be checked.

Tires don't seem to show any sign of dryrot. The tread looks good, though the guy rode it to the meeting spot with very low pressure in them, scary. I didn't know tires actually have a date marking on them, cool. I'll check that out.

I don't know how thick the pads come new, but there looked to be about 1/8" of pad material left. I'll check out the rest of the system, and put the brake line on the list for the winter. I've replaced pads, disks, calipers and hardlines on cars for friends and family, so I can't imagine this would be too much different. Do they use standard automotive brake fluid?

Thanks for the headsup!

Welcome aboard! My brake reservoir says DOT4 on it, so you can get that at any auto shop... I've always wanted to ride an EX-500 :)

I'm sure there are FAQs on the 'net, too, about what kind of fluids and whatnot, or you can always check ex-500.com.

Welcome to OR! don't mind all the motorcycle riding, gun carrying, beer drinking crazy people

Lol well I did take the CCW course, but have been too lazy to go down to the courthouse, so you've got me there.

I am a homebrewer (hense the name) so I have been know to knock back a few from time to time. I do my best to avoid the crazies, though I imagine a different crazy than what you are speaking of.. or maybe not ;)

I'd post a pic of the bike, but it's realy nothing to look at right now. Just imagine a bent upper fairing bracket holding the headlight at an angle (no fairing), a tank that has a nice bar kiss and looks like someone took the decals off of with a chainsaw:wtf:. aand the seat fairing with a ton of decal residue. otherwise it's blue with white wheels. I hope to get a new upper and try my hand at vinyl wrap since painting is messy and tedious, let alone the typical mediocre results.

I appreciate the walcomes folks :)

Edited by DrewsBrews