Question about keeping a gun in the car

JStump

The ohio firearms thread reminded me of a question I have been wondering about for a while now lol

So I have decided I want to keep my gun in my car when I go to work but I was wondering what happens if my car is broken into and the gun is stolen? Do you just call the cops and report it?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

congrats, you win the first sarcastic post award!

What I mean is, say you report it stolen, do you get in trouble for having a gun in the car and accessible for someone to steal? Is it legal to keep a gun in the car unattended? What I have found is mixed, some say it is as simple as reporting it, some say it is not exactly legal to keep a gun in the car unattended. I am lost on the subject.

You might want to invest in a lock box for the trunk. If I have to leave it in the car it put it in the trunk. I always keep a hoodie or Tshirt in the backseat so I'll wrap it in that and put it in the trunk. no need to advertise.

I know of no issue in keePing it in your car if properly licensed.

Thats a good idea and all but if I were to do that, it would probably just stay in the trunk after the first week or so because after work I just want to go home, I don't want to get in the trunk, hide the fact I have a gun, then put it somewhere in the front where it is accessible. I would like to just leave it in the arm rest so its good to go. I know that is just asking for trouble but I figure if they went through the trouble of breaking into the car, they are going to find it eventually.

I guess if anything I would put it under the seat, I mean who looks under the seat? Or even in the pouch behind the passenger seat.

Edited by JStump

The ohio firearms thread reminded me of a question I have been wondering about for a while now lol

So I have decided I want to keep my gun in my car when I go to work but I was wondering what happens if my car is broken into and the gun is stolen? Do you just call the cops and report it?

Write down your serial number, report serial to police.

You likely won't get it back, but at least if it's used in a crime they won't come looking for you.

Yeah, I am about to order the combo lock version myself. Just checked under my seat for clearance and it looks like it will be a perfect fit.

And I would definitely not expect to get it back if stolen, especially in Cleveland

Edited by JStump

If you have a CHL you're fine. I have a lock box like jagr posted but mine is a combo lock. I don't want to lose a key. And you can set the code you want

I have the same one as Chevy, except I have the keyed version. Mine is a nanovault. I'm thinking about one of the biometric vaults for at home, since we have kids running around here.

Edited by jporter12

That's a good question, I know you can have it loaded if you have a CHL and are in possession of the gun but what about locked in the car and in a lock box? Because I want to be able to do the combo and have it ready to go under the seat, but if I also have to load it and unload it all the time it again makes it kinda useless to me because I am not gonna do that every time I get in and out of the car.

Also, why did you just quote yourself? Lol

If you have your Concealed Handgun License you can leave the loaded gun in your car all the time. If somebody breaks into your car and steals it, you can report it to the police and your insurance company. If you have the gun all locked up, it is unlikely that you will be able to get to it quickly in an emergency. If somebody steals my gun, I will buy another one or use one of my "spares".

I have not seen any law that states it must be unloaded while being stored in your vehicle unattended.

I have a buddy that has one of the lock boxes bolted to his floor board. There's many options other than running the cable through your seat frame. Be creative.

Mine has a magazine disconnect. Depending on the situation, sometimes I will drop the magazine and store them separately. Even with a round in the chamber, it will not fire with the magazine removed. I figure at least f it is stolen, it cannot be used against someone immediately. I only lock it up if I can't carry somewhere. If I am in the car, it's on me or very easily accessible.

Also, why did you just quote yourself? Lol

:dunno: What are you talking about? :p

I have not seen any law that states it must be unloaded while being stored in your vehicle unattended.

I didn't think there was, but you should know better than me anyway! :D

I have a buddy that has one of the lock boxes bolted to his floor board. There's many options other than running the cable through your seat frame. Be creative.

I know who you're talking about. He's seriously selling that vehicle now. :( I'm sure he's got another in the vehicle he's driving now, or moving that one. You know how he is! :lol:

Mine has a magazine disconnect. Depending on the situation, sometimes I will drop the magazine and store them separately. Even with a round in the chamber, it will not fire with the magazine removed. I figure at least f it is stolen, it cannot be used against someone immediately. I only lock it up if I can't carry somewhere. If I am in the car, it's on me or very easily accessible.

One feature I would like my XD to have that the M&P has as an option.

I know who you're talking about. He's seriously selling that vehicle now. :( I'm sure he's got another in the vehicle he's driving now, or moving that one. You know how he is! :lol:

I just talked to him a couple of days ago. He says he keeps dropping the price on it and no one will buy it. He's about ready to just keep it.

I just talked to him a couple of days ago. He says he keeps dropping the price on it and no one will buy it. He's about ready to just keep it.

Again? :lol: I talked to him last night and he was pretty sure he had someone going to buy it, after people lowballing, offering less than half of what he has it listed for, which is less than it's really worth even. Maybe he should bid on one on ebay to inflate the value? :D

Edited by jporter12
Smiley FAIL.

i have a nanovault also and hate it...i dont trust the cable at all, but in a single cab truck i dont have many options...i have a toolbox behind my seat that takes up my ledge so i cant bolt anything there...i may end up doing something else, but im thinking i may not bother...

hell, the nanovault seem so cheap anyways i dont see why a thief couldnt get into one with a pry bar anyways....when mines closed theres a gap in it big enough to slip a pry bar in - and i dont imagine that cheap $30 box being that tough

i have a nanovault also and hate it...i dont trust the cable at all, but in a single cab truck i dont have many options...i have a toolbox behind my seat that takes up my ledge so i cant bolt anything there...i may end up doing something else, but im thinking i may not bother...

hell, the nanovault seem so cheap anyways i dont see why a thief couldnt get into one with a pry bar anyways....when mines closed theres a gap in it big enough to slip a pry bar in - and i dont imagine that cheap $30 box being that tough

It's not a safe, just a lock box. Makes it more difficult not impossible to steal. But what else can you do other than don't keep it in there or bolt an actual safe in your truck.

bolt an actual safe in your truck.

ive been thinking of doing something like this....at least something more sturdy... something thick like a pistol vault, either bolted or welded to the floor behind the seat...havent looked too much into it though since the only time i lock it up is while im at work for 4-5 hours

Part of the deterrent is that it's not obvious to the average Joe that there would be a gun in there, and as Chevy says below, to make it more difficult than just picking up the gun.

When I bought my Nanovault it had huge a gap. I tightened up the screw that holds the locking lever to the lock and it's pretty solid now. Is the one you have key, or combination?

Part of the deterrent is that it's not obvious to the average Joe that there would be a gun in there, and as Chevy says below, to make it more difficult than just picking up the gun.

When I bought my Nanovault it had huge a gap. I tightened up the screw that holds the locking lever to the lock and it's pretty solid now. Is the one you have key, or combination?

key

and i dont know about you, but if i broke into a car and saw they had a lock box, picked it up and it was heavy, i would assume theres probably something in there worth stealing...im 100% convinced that i could "steal" or break into my nanovault in less than 60 seconds ...if i ever do replace it with something more sturdy, i will be testing it to see how durable it actually is....ill look into the scew youre talking about...the gap is what bothers me the most...like i said, i cold fit a pry bar in there effortlessly because the gap is so big