Buy or Build a Track Bike

imprez55

I know you can get track bikes pretty cheap, especially when you factor in all the upgrades done to them, but how much does it really cost to build one from a street bike? You can customize the upgrades you want, but it seems like most upgrades are pretty universal. What has everyone done here, build a track bike from street/stock one or buy a decked out track bike?

I currently have an '03 600rr and '07 gsxr600 with about $2000 and $3000, respectively, wrapped up in each. It might be a nice winter project to make one into a track bike, or I could just wait till spring and sell both to buy a dedicated track bike (that I intend to convert to barely street legal). I know I couldn't get a cheaper track bike than what I have into them, but I would be getting upgrades for that price.

Well I have built a few race bike from stock to full race. So it all depends on what you want to spend money on. To me I like to buy quality parts for one and parts that are easily found in the paddock when something break. I learned my lesson when I bought a new type of rear set that broke at a WERA race. I couldn't race because I couldn't find parts to replace it.

Second what are you going to do with the bike? race and turn it back to street after? If not sell the street stuff and that will fund your race parts. The last bike I built I was able to sell almost 3,000 dollars worth of stock parts to help fund my race equipment.

Focus more on getting your bike track worthy first like braided front brake lines, damper, bodywork. Most stock suspensions today are actually not bad but would be the next focus point. Finally I would work on the motor and gearing. When I say motor I would say pipe, jet kit etc., the stock motor is actually very good. Its amazing what a few aftermarket parts can do to wake up a stock motor.

So what do you want to spend???? For me the last bike I built I spent about another 4000-4500 to get it on the track the way I wanted it to be. This includes paint vinyl and everything I learned to keep the bike looking and running well.

If you have any questions call me

Where is $3K worth of parts?! I know headlights, street bodywork, pipes if you get new ones, but I'm not sure where the other $$ would come from. I want to make it track, and then turn it back into street with removable parts (I have a couple ideas now, but they all start with track bodywork). My first round of modifications will be bodywork, braided brake lines and getting rid of the cat/SET/PAIR stuff (and possibly headers/slip-on to remove some of that stuff). In terms of paint, I'm fine with doing a DIY crappy job with a paint gun I have at home. I am also thinking of some diy captive stuff for shits-n-giggles if I get bored and still want to do some stuff on the cheap.

Since next season will only start my 2nd track day, I don't want to spend too much initially, so I would prefer to have the money available for that actual track days.

Buy mine! Just needs a inspected for the rebuilt title and your good to go. 100% track but I will have all the OEM plastics, lights, etc in pristine condition.

The 750? You still don't have a price in the old FS thread haha. I'm not sure what the racing rules are for a 750 though, so I'm not sure if I'm interested. Depending if I take a year off before graduate school, I might race the 2nd have of the next season or something along those lines.

buy built. no better way.
Built up, and over winter, is definitely the cheapest way to go.

Haha, these conflicting opinions are why I would like to have a little reasoning as well.

I would assume each of you did that for your respective track/race bikes? If so, do you mind me asking how much you invested in what bike?

I'm kinda in the same boat decision wise whether to get a track built bike already or build one over time. I'm only leaning the latter option because I've never tracked before and not sure how much I'll be able to go at first so I can build it over time as my skills hopefully progress. Not to mention I'll probably street it a considerable amount at first

I am building mine this winter, already bought and put the body on before the last track day. For one, I am more likely to get the parts that I want by doing it myself and over a span of time instead of trying for fork up all the cash for something someone else has already done. If you buy something and somone had taken a lot of shortcuts, troubleshooting an issue might be a pain in the ass.

Since your asking, buy one already built.

From what I have gathered, the guys that build up bikes know exactly what they want, what they want it to do and what they are going to do with it.

Dropping $5-$10k in mods is well within the realm of possibility, even with the ones that you have, if you are so inclined.

Either one of your bikes would make a fine track bike just as they are now. Maybe pop for a suspension tuning if you haven't already done so. You will have to take the glycol out and put in Water Wetter or something similar (once you get out of novice). So, swapping between track and street could become a pita if you want to change the coolant every time. Stock plastics are expensive, so get those gone and put on some track skinz. Of course, you will have to get them painted.

Since you have two sport bikes now. My guess, the biggest issue is dedicating one to track and not worrying about making it streetable again. If you can't do that, I would suggest picking up an already prepped track bike and riding it without the emotional attachment.

Great time to find trackbikes. Take your time and find a good one that is in your budget. Ride it, and sell it in a year or two. By then, you will have a really clear picture of what you want and what you want to do with it.

Edited by Revelstoker

how bout an opinion of some one what switches his and his wifes from street to track and back after almost ever track day... the way i would wish i could do it... would have been bought street only bikes or track bikes..... and worked on my other bikes to go as track or street ONLY because its a pain in the ass to switch back and forth.. that being said... we currently do the swapping. because we dont want to go track only. the only thing we need to swap back and forth is bodywork and lights.(i by myself can do both bikes in 3ish hrs from street to track or back) everything else on the bike is used on the street too.. from the braided lines to the exhaust and well as of a few days ago full suspension and tires. tho in all honesty we dont ride the street near as much we went from 7k miles a year to maybe 1-2k miles street thats a big jump but again we ride the track once a month if not twice so time inbetween isnt easy to come by.

hope it helps as far as insight, total in parts... more than i wanna think about.. but not enough to make me stop haha...

Lots of good responses, thanks guys! You definitely bring up good points about the reliability and history of the bike. I certainly don't want something that I have to fix that I didn't intend and have it go bad at an inconvenient time.

Bad: We live close enough, I'll try to motivate you to go. I intend to go as much as time and the wallet provide. Which is why I need to sell one of the current bikes.

Revelstoker: If I could buy I track bike now, I certainly would. Unfortunately I don't have the $$ unless I sell a bike first. I don't even have enough for some of c7fx's goodies! I don't have too much emotional attachment to the bikes as is, crashing is sort of expected for me so I know they will go down (the 600rr has by me, the gsxr by the PO).

TwiztedRabbit/c7fx: I was planning some modification like this headlight one to make it easy to switch between street and track. Is it really that bad to switch a couple lights and a plate? I NEED to sell one bike so I can afford to go to track days next season. I could make a bigger profit off of the gsxr, but it might be the better track bike. Either way, one of them needs to go or I need to make more money somehow (poor college student is not conducive to expensive hobbies)

Haha, these conflicting opinions are why I would like to have a little reasoning as well.

I would assume each of you did that for your respective track/race bikes? If so, do you mind me asking how much you invested in what bike?

My answer probably could've used more clarification.

Buy an already built up bike, during the winter months.

Lots of goodies, and over winter means the cheapest pricing.

not switching just lights and a plate.. you are taking off ALL the plastics too.. and honestly if it was that bad i wouldnt do it..but i want to ride track AND street so i do it..

Like the mod in the link, I plan on making at least the headlight and taillight in removable "pods". they will be fiberglassed pvc (or similar) openings in the track plastics to allow the street legal parts to be installed. A simple bar end mirror and some jury rigged turn signals and I should be all legal. Obviously you have much more experience at this, is there a reason you would advise against doing something like that? I was planning on using the money from selling the stock plastics to fun the purchase of the track ones.

BUY! Just know what you are buying!

Makes sense, I usually have a pretty good idea of what I am getting into (from experience haha) but there are always hidden problems that I might not see initially, though this doesn't necessarily sway me from buying. Why would you say to? (besides to buy your bike of course!)

I converted my street bike into a track bike, its taking time and its still not there. I wouldnt say its cheaper. I think it would have been cheaper (time and price considered) to find a good deal on a used track bike off the forums....ive seen several around here/WERA/KF.

You can certainly gain some back from selling your street parts (i.e., $600 for stock fairings, $150 for headlights, etc.) which helps offset things.

Like the mod in the link, I plan on making at least the headlight and taillight in removable "pods". they will be fiberglassed pvc (or similar) openings in the track plastics to allow the street legal parts to be installed. A simple bar end mirror and some jury rigged turn signals and I should be all legal. Obviously you have much more experience at this, is there a reason you would advise against doing something like that? I was planning on using the money from selling the stock plastics to fun the purchase of the track ones

that is EXACTLY what I want to do as well

im in the process of building my 03 gsxr 600. i would say it all depends on what exactly your looking for in a bike and whether or not you enjoying wrenching on it. i personally find satisfaction in being able to say "i built this bike", but thats just me.

i agree with mr. mako regarding having the satisfaction of building the bike yourself. not only does it make the build 'yours', but imagine the amount of KNOWLEDGE you are amassing. bleeding brakes, rebuilding brakes, installing/removing/rebuilding forks and shocks, suspension tuning, electrical wiring... and the list goes on.

i have built all of my race bikes from street trim. i kinda feel that if i had just bought an already track-ready bike, that i would not have had the same depth of knowledge.

just my two cents.