Buy or Build a Track Bike

imprez55

i agree with mr. mako regarding having the satisfaction of building the bike yourself. not only does it make the build 'yours', but imagine the amount of KNOWLEDGE you are amassing. bleeding brakes, rebuilding brakes, installing/removing/rebuilding forks and shocks, suspension tuning, electrical wiring... and the list goes on.

i have built all of my race bikes from street trim. i kinda feel that if i had just bought an already track-ready bike, that i would not have had the same depth of knowledge.

just my two cents.

Haha, I certainly have a lot of experience wrenching on bikes (never a lot of track or rear suspension tuning) so I'm not worried about missing out on that, in fact I have done all the above on the 600rr alone. I understand the point though, the knowledge is helpful being specific to a bike. I do have pride that I built my 600rr from a true basket case, so much so I might even have to retract my previous statement about not having a personal attachment to the honda. As much as I am alright with laying it down, it will certainly be hard to let it go. Hmm, so many options

Buying used with all the goodies saves you from being the person to pay retail prices for top of the line parts. The last 2 race/track bikes I have purchased were fully built and ready for me to spring and refresh. MAX $$$$ I have had in any racebike was $4500 and that one came with so many spares I still have boxes left lol.

buy built. no better way.

I agree. My bike, in full running condition will be for sale in the $3100 range.

the upgrades alone would cost almost that much.

woodcraft rearsets: $300

CRG levers: $100 each.

Arata exhaust: $850

race bodywork: $500

Power commander: $200?

Penske shock: $700?

there are things i'm forgetting, and i'm already up to over $2500 in upgrade parts. Yes, you can sell the stock parts to recoup some of that, but it's a hassle.

for the 'extra' $600, i'm throwing in a full frame, chassis, wheels, brakes, rims, gauges, engine, clip-ons, etc...

Building a track bike is a money pit. It may be "better" for those who have the time and patience to part it out when they're done with it, but I don't think it's ever cheaper.

i agree with mr. mako regarding having the satisfaction of building the bike yourself. not only does it make the build 'yours', but imagine the amount of KNOWLEDGE you are amassing. bleeding brakes, rebuilding brakes, installing/removing/rebuilding forks and shocks, suspension tuning, electrical wiring... and the list goes on.

i have built all of my race bikes from street trim. i kinda feel that if i had just bought an already track-ready bike, that i would not have had the same depth of knowledge.

just my two cents.

crashing it and rebuilding it gives you just as much knowledge, at a fraction of the cost! :D

I build my SV out of a wreck but it doesn't have much in the way of race goodies. It's basically just a street bike that goes on the track, but the point was to have a track bike that was as cheap as possible. It's fast enough for me, and plenty of fun.

I bought my track bike built.

Pros:

• It's the same model as my street bike (2007 Suzuki GSXR600) so I was familiar with riding and working on it...and if I did have a question about anything, I just turn around and look at my street bike, lol.
  • It came with a bunch of goodies already: Rear suspension upgrade, power commander, Quick Shifter, Michelin Power One's, brand new set of rain tires, transponder, track body work, professionally tuned (a year before), spare parts (axles, clip ons, etc.), tire warmers, 2 sets of stands and he gave me his old back protector. (All of these parts alone add up to more than I paid for the whole package)
  • All non-needed parts are gone (wiring, turn signals, etc)
  • All safety wiring was already done!
  • Cost...$2,000!

Cons:

• NONE! The bike is straight and runs perfect; even after the PO's high side and my fubar in the grass at Nelson's!

Dayum, there did you find a deal like that? A price with that new of a bike would definitely be the best of all the worlds. One of the main reasons I want to track the gsxr is because its newer being an '07 so I should get more usable years out of it.

I am certainly leaning towards buying one that has only been slightly upgraded. If the modifications are those that I would prefer (frame sliders, vortex/woodcraft rearsets/clipons) then it would leave room to upgrade the more specific parts how I see fit while still not losing the cost effectiveness of buying used.

if the bare min you get with a used race bike make sure that it has suspension! The rest can be added slowly and are no where near as important!

Hmm, that's actually what I was planning on holding off on, mainly because that is what will demand the most for resale. I figure the suspension in new bikes (looking mainly at '07+) is good enough to help build my skills for a while once I get it tuned a bit. I know I will be able to find used AM suspension set ups eventually. I might just have to wait around until I see something I can't pass up on (like the '07 gsxr600 above!)

So, guys that think it is cheaper to build vs buying built haven't really added it up right or aren't being truthful on what they spend.

My 1000 for example. I'd sell it for $12k with shit pile of spares. If you take the same route and start with a new 1000, you'd spend $11k alone for the bike. You'd be nowhere near my setup for $1k.

Ok, guys will say buy used and slap on used parts.

Cool. 2009 GSXR 1000 is going to be $8k. Used 30 mil and TTX Shock is going to set you back for $1500 min, plastic at $500, rearsets $200, Yosh EM Pro $750 or PC with everything $500, to exhaust $750, spare wheels $500, and you're at $12,500 and that's no clipons, levers, race pads, sprockets, chain, and for sure no full engine build.

Bottom line? Buy built.

I think the general consensus in the thread is buying built will save money, but theres an advantage to learning the ins and outs of the bike by building it yourself (but heavy on the pocket book).

So, guys that think it is cheaper to build vs buying built haven't really added it up right or aren't being truthful on what they spend.

My 1000 for example. I'd sell it for $12k with shit pile of spares. If you take the same route and start with a new 1000, you'd spend $11k alone for the bike. You'd be nowhere near my setup for $1k.

Ok, guys will say buy used and slap on used parts.

Cool. 2009 GSXR 1000 is going to be $8k. Used 30 mil and TTX Shock is going to set you back for $1500 min, plastic at $500, rearsets $200, Yosh EM Pro $750 or PC with everything $500, to exhaust $750, spare wheels $500, and you're at $12,500 and that's no clipons, levers, race pads, sprockets, chain, and for sure no full engine build.

Bottom line? Buy built.

I think the general consensus in the thread is buying built will save money, but theres an advantage to learning the ins and outs of the bike by building it yourself (but heavy on the pocket book).

I agree 100%. I've done it three ways. Bought new and converted. Tend to not do as many things as your budget gets hit big time at the start and you tend to drop some of the things that are just too costly and cut corners.

Second way was to buy a salvage bike and build that. That was really good as we'd have a great starter and it was a great price and allowed us to put the right things on and do the right builds, etc. Back a few years ago, everyone was really doing this.

The third is the way I have done it for a few years. Buy a reputable bike from a known top team. You then build it to the way YOU want it to be. I buy Vesrah built bikes because Tony does a KILLER job of setting the chassis up and Mark builds a great bike. BUT, there are some touches I add that are what i want in a build. I then only allow a reputable builder to touch the thing if not by my hands. That's Reuben...

But, I agree. To build your own and doing several along the way allows you to gain knowledge and that's priceless.

• 1 month later...
If you buy used you get used problems, either sell your bikes and buy a new one to build or build a bike from what you already have since you are aware of any potential issues. Nothing worse than getting someone elses crap.

I will totally disagree on this comment. PLENTY of great used track day or race bikes out there. More than enough well known builders and racers selling good stuff.

I've bought Vesrah bikes with next to zero issue and have never thought otherwise. Again, for the amount you'd spend if building from street to track, you can buy a great used unit and have more than enough to cover any issues or have enough for what really matters. TIRES!!

brian no one gives a shit what you say your like the redheaded trackfanboi stepchild.... i kid i kid brian knows i heart him big time.<~ no homo...... ok maybe a lil

anyways i know plenty of people that have bought used track bikes with zero issues.. i myself did the whole bought new rode street with it for a year and started the track transformation.. it is deff more expensive but its nice to know whats going on with the bike at all levels of the build.

I will totally disagree on this comment. PLENTY of great used track day or race bikes out there. More than enough well known builders and racers selling good stuff.

I've bought Vesrah bikes with next to zero issue and have never thought otherwise. Again, for the amount you'd spend if building from street to track, you can buy a great used unit and have more than enough to cover any issues or have enough for what really matters. TIRES!!

Agreed, if you buy just some random person's track bike, then yes you may get problems. But if you take your time, do your research, and buy from a well know builder or someone that you know takes care of your stuff you can get a great bike for much more than what it would cost to build from new. I bought my track bike used in 2008, I did plenty of research on different options and what I was looking for, and with a decent amount of guidance and consideration I found a great unit. There are plenty others on here that have done similar, just take your time and get the info and assess everything. If you are an impulse buyer, than it might not be for you.

Edited by APCh8r

what are these "hidden problems" that aren't easily identified during an inspection and test ride?

The only thing I can think of is loss of power at high RPM, or some kind of high-speed wobble. Either would be a big issue, but if the seller has been riding the bike in the same condition they're selling it, I'm usually pretty comfortable with that.

On my first track bike, I literally rode it for 2 minutes in the pits at Summit, then bought it. I had observed the owner riding it at pace previously though. My second track bike I only rode up and down the street at the seller's house. Still no issue.

what are these "hidden problems" that aren't easily identified during an inspection and test ride?

The only thing I can think of is loss of power at high RPM, or some kind of high-speed wobble. Either would be a big issue, but if the seller has been riding the bike in the same condition they're selling it, I'm usually pretty comfortable with that.

On my first track bike, I literally rode it for 2 minutes in the pits at Summit, then bought it. I had observed the owner riding it at pace previously though. My second track bike I only rode up and down the street at the seller's house. Still no issue.

Hidden issues such as the built bike had never been maintained and until you crack cases, you have no idea of such things as chipped teeth on the tranny gears for example. Or, guy says it was an ex-AMA bike and while it was, it has a stock motor in it and you have no idea until you take it in to get a refresh... Things like that.

There are PLENTY of hidden issues and thus, the reason it is so important to buy from a credible source or know the bike's history. There's enough sources to go with that you can pretty much find out anything about any legit track bike... I like one owner/team bikes. I'm too old anymore to do a full build. Although, every damn bike I have bought done up, I've pulled the motors, gone through the chassis and did everything to make sure it was ready for battle. Of course, that is habit, but at the end of the day, I still tear them down...