Anyone else use Offroad Chain Lube? State 8's advice

Josh1234

I went to State 8 to pick up my windshield bolts (byebye spikes!) and I decided to pick up a chain brush, some degreaser, and some lube for the winterization prep.

The guy told me that even though it (the lube) said clear, it tended to dry white. He said get off-road chain lube and use it on my street bike, and it'd dry clear.

They were the same price, so it wasn't an upsell...

Can anyone confirm/deny?

state 8 is primarily morons, specifically the parts counter so I don't really trust 95% of what they say

I've used Repsol chain lube which I was given and I've bought this stuff and both have done me well

MaximaChainWax.jpg

state 8 is primarily morons, specifically the parts counter so I don't really trust 95% of what they say

It's not that they are morons, they just have shockingly little actual riding experience. I imagine they go by what they are told, rather than actual experience in most cases.

I went in to buy oil filters for my F2 years ago, and mentioned that i was taking it to a trackday. All 3 guys behind the parts counter were totally blown away.

"we've gone to the drag strip, but never a track day."

I was very much a "B" rider at that point, and knew a lot more about riding than them...

Didn't realize there was "off-road" and "on-road" chain lube. I use the Honda red label on everything - it's clear and isn't a total dirt magnet. It was unavailable for awhile and I tried the Honda blue label that had some sort of "white graphite" in it. The parts guy told me "this stuff is awesome and all our techs love it." It was almost like white lithium grease, made a mess and anything and everything stuck to it.

Didn't realize there was "off-road" and "on-road" chain lube. I use the Honda red label on everything - it's clear and isn't a total dirt magnet. It was unavailable for awhile and I tried the Honda blue label that had some sort of "white graphite" in it. The parts guy told me "this stuff is awesome and all our techs love it." It was almost like white lithium grease, made a mess and anything and everything stuck to it.

+1 for Pro Honda HP Chain Lube. (Red Label) It has Teflon and Moly in it and a dry film type. No sling off. :cool:

I have tried my fair share of chain lubes and cleaners over the years.

I prefer the Dupont Teflon Lube, currently I am using the Chain Wax though, I caught a deal on it, it is good stuff too.

For cleaning I like Tirox, a bit messy, expensive, and not easy to find, but good stuff...I have not tried their other products.

http://tirox.ca/index.html

Thanks! Sounds like it's all subjective, and everyone has a different opinion... meaning the things they talk about are the really important factors.

How easy it is to do, meaning i'll do it more often, is worth far more than a lube that's worth twice as much but sitting on the shelf :)

• 1 month later...