been arguing with myself, going back to 1 bike

Beegreenstrings

I have been arguing with myself about going back down to one bike?

Thinking about selling the XR and the Superhawk? keeping the VTX. Kind of the deal of the century? Although, if I sold it I would make more on it than both the others combined?

Confused?

any thoughts?

I'm in the same boat. Having two bikes is killing me on insurance and maintenance costs. Seems used bike values aren't very good, and the superhawks I've seen selling aren't worth much at all or I would have sold this year.

Generalities:

2 cheap bikes > 1 expensive bike (if one needs work, you don't care, you just ride the other one)

sportbike + cruiser > 2 sportbikes (or 2 cruisers, etc. -- allows diversity of riding)

sportbike + dual sport > almost any other 2-bike combo (aforementioned diversity, no overlap in function)

Specifics:

None of the above matters one bit if you love the VTX and won't miss the other two. If it were me, I'd sell the VTX and keep the Superchicken and the XR, but you're not me. Good luck.

2 bikes in different genre is great, 3 even better. I cant let go of the street glide. I do to much 2 up touring and its grat for it. But id love another sportbike for solo duties. But i dont get alot of solo ride time, hence why im torn in my decision

I had the 2 bike deal going for awhile. I had a 1990 Katana ( affordable purchase price and fun to ride) and the bike I have owned for about 16 years, my 1982 GS 850. I usually always rode the Katana cuz it was "funnier" and most of my friends have sportbikes. Insurance was affordable since both bikes were older. I am over 25 and am married.

There were times I rode the 850 just because it looked sad just sitting. After learning that I tended to ride like a moron on the Katana, I decided to sell it to focus on just enjoying the 850. And 2 bikes take up room in the garage.

So, the 850 doesn't have the performance of the Katana, I really do enjoy just having one bike.

My next bike will be water cooled and fuel injected. But at this point, I probably will hang onto the 850, just because I had it for so long, and probably not much in the way of resale value on it. So,eventually I will have 2 bikes again.

I have been arguing with myself about going back down to one bike?

Thinking about selling the XR and the Superhawk? keeping the VTX. Kind of the deal of the century? Although, if I sold it I would make more on it than both the others combined?

Confused?

any thoughts?

I have gone quite a few years with both a sporty type bike and a cruiser bike to know that if I sell one or the other, I am going to miss the one style that I sold. Sometimes fast and nasty feels good, and other times slow and easy is the way. Gotta have both.

-Sell the XR....

Edited by mello dude

I could not live with myself doing that. I have always been a Honda person.

I love the dually and intended to do the Supermotard conversion to it in the spring.

I look at it like one of those bike you care for but you dont, if that makes since. I love the bike, but would ride it through hell and back with no thought.

The vtx is nice. Big twin rumble with straight equal cobras. Rides nice. Tons of torque with motor upgrades, but... Pumping a shaft drive up in the motor loses on the other end. So it has a very slow top end. 80 sounds like you are going to eat a piston.

and then we have the Superchicken. My beloved superchicken. Black. Sargent seat. Seat cowl. Lower fairing. Tinted windscreen. Oh I love it so much... But, it's like I am telling myself to grow up and get rid of it. I love it so much though. The twin yoshis rumble. The torgue of the twin.

Of course on the other hand... I could sell the chicken and the XR and buy my buddies 929? Just a thought. :D

its funny because I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on going to 2 bikes :p

But seriously, if I wasn't such a cheap ass at times I'd have 3 bikes in the garage in the VFR, a 600RR and a Street Glide because those 3 would cover all the riding I like :D

I think you've got a great setup and if they are all paid off and not money pits might as well keep them. My motto is happiness and fun factor of my toys > money in the bank

I miss having a second bike around, and i barely rode the second one...

Having options is a good thing. I say choose two. The only reason to drop to 1 bike is for financial reasons.

Sell BEFORE you really need the money though. Get what your bike is worth.

Exactly. I would hate to have to sell one in a hurry and take a beating on one of them just to move it. Being a union worker (not technically a union guy) I feel this upcoming contract is going to get the majority of us. I know they are going to push for money and we really shouldn't. Not this time. So I feel we are going to be out for a amount of time. Just scary.

I really feel I have all the bases covered with what I got. But also feel three is a little excessive. 2 would be Ok. ( I should state at the time there is 5 in the garage... My dads old night hawk, I still refuse to give up on. My old cr250, then these three).

It's just i stand there and look and think the money could be better used elsewhere.