Dragon on Travel Channel 12/11/11

JBWalker

didn't like 28? :lol:

I want to do the Cherry-Cola again because when we did it in June, I had shit tires and I was sick as hell from heat exhaustion and dehydration so I was stuck just putting along :(

28 was great, just a lot more traffic. Hell, there wasn't a road down there that I didn't like, (besidds the very begining of 28 where I shot off into the weeds) but the Skyway was my favorite.

Edited by max power

I consider OH 555 a long version of the dragon. 65 miles compared to 11 miles. It takes just as much skill to ride both roads. My next major trip will be to start at the east end of the BRP in Virginia and ride it to the western end by Bryson City, NC. Then run the Cherohala up to Tellico Plains, TN then back up to the top of the Dragon and run it both ways before heading back home. Figure the whole trip will take 4 to 5 days.

this

The CVMA Nationals are at Fontana Dam in June. Our Ohio Chapter has Deals gap for the week and the weekend. Looking forward to riding all different routes. Course it's a bunch of old guys on cruisers...But we got to be Combat Vets and old somehow.;)

Bears come out on to the road at dusk

I miss timed getting into the area in 2005 and ended up on the Gap at dusk on my way to Robbinsville. A bear crosses the road right in front of me so I check up but I am fixated on it so I don't have an idea about what else is going on around me. The bear is scared by the screaming I4 so he charges head first into the rock face on the other side of the road. With no place to go it turns around and crosses back across the road to get the hell out of the area back down the hill to only miss me by inches. I never hit my brakes because I was watching it and didn't expect to see it cross my path again. I might have gotten real interesting if I would have hit it.

honestly im scared of it. its a beast of a road and with no track time and only a year (and msf) under my belt i dont want to mess with it. eventually i want to but i know my skill level isnt anywhere near where i think it needs to be. after track time next year ill probably feel a little different but im just being realistic with my riding ability.

Yeah, prolly a good idea if you stay away from the dragon if you're scared of it.

my takes from the vid:

1) naturally the best looking rider in the vid was on a VFR :p

2) When talking about the photogs, there is a real nice R32 Skyline sitting on 1 of the pulloffs

3) Seriously fuck semi's, the only oh shit moment I've had the dozen times on the Dragon last year was a semi trying to take a corner as I was coming the other way. Thank god there was a pulloff and I'm slow otherwise it would've ended very badly

me too for the first......if youll let me .....ill sit and the back and wont say a word :D

hell yea I don't mind

Pauly did sort of talk me into riding down there a shot at least one time so I'm gonna attempt to make that happen as well. If I go multiple times which is the plan, I'll trailer the others :D

• Upvote 1

It was shut down when we first arrived in August because a trucker was way over center and killed a biker.

It opened back up several hours later, and we had a blast as always.

We'll be back down again in August 2012, but staying in Maggie Valley this year.

The Snake was fun this year, but it didn't seem like there were as many scenic places to visit up that way (Johnson City).

Edited by Ron505

Did the dragon back in 01 on a Monday morning and it was great but there are a lot of roads we discovered in the area that are less well known that are really just as good. Really miss those annual trips to the Smokies now but at least I'm still riding. :-)