any kindle deals out there?

2talltim

Would like to get my wife a kindle for christmas, a basic wifi one would be fine but the 3G would be awsome. Anyone know if there are any good deals out there on them other than the the $79 wifi and $139 3g ones on amazon and staples?

My wife loves her kindle, and the books are cheaper!

I don't think you're going to get much better than the $79. I would go with the Kindle Touch, of Keyboard version, it would be REALLY tedious to search for titles otherwise. Although, you can use the computer on your Amazon account to do all of that.

I have heard that the "Special Offers" version isn't so bad, not all that intrusive. Someone was telling me that some of the ads were even for stuff that they'd use!

"cheap" tablets are still 3x the cost of a kindle....the cheapest tablet would actually be the kindle fire i think, unless theres some no name chinese brand that nobody has ever heard of

also - i just did a huge marketing project on amazon vs barnes and noble, and after doing so - i would never choose nook over kindle

"cheap" tablets are still 3x the cost of a kindle....the cheapest tablet would actually be the kindle fire i think, unless theres some no name chinese brand that nobody has ever heard of

also - i just did a huge marketing project on amazon vs barnes and noble, and after doing so - i would never choose nook over kindle

I have no idea about the difference of the ereaders, just the tablets. The fire is not expandable and only 8 gigs. The free cloud storage was only for amazon material so I didn't think twice about going somewhere else. The only problem I have with the ereaders is you can't sell books, especially textbooks for class that can be kind of pricey.

you cant compare the ipad to the kindle fire....different audience, and different purposes.... they arent even trying to compete with apple

they even admit its not competition for full tablets, it is an e-reader with tablet features....if you dont plan on using an ereader, i would not buy the kindle fire...if you want an ereader with some extra features but dont have 600+ to spend on an ipad or similar tablet, the kindle fire is a great deal....it is murdering the new nook reader and its $50 cheaper

Edited by Steve Butters

you cant compare the ipad to the kindle fire....different audience, and different purposes.... they arent even trying to compete with apple

they even admit its not competition for full tablets, it is an e-reader with tablet features....if you dont plan on using an ereader, i would not buy the kindle fire...if you want an ereader with some extra features but dont have 600+ to spend on an ipad or similar tablet, the kindle fire is a great deal....it is murdering the new nook reader and its $50 cheaper

This. On top of that, I've read mixed reviews on the Kindle Fire. If your wife loves to read, I would highly recommend a Kindle.

This. On top of that, I've read mixed reviews on the Kindle Fire. If your wife loves to read, I would highly recommend a Kindle.

i agree.

please note - if she is using it primarily for reading, get a regular kindle...avoid the fire

the fire has a glossy screen just like the ipad and other tablets - it makes reading in direct sunlight a major pain....thats the largest complaint im reading on them and why im seeing people suggest the regular kindle over the fire as an ereader

kind of like a plasma tv in a bright room....hello glare!

well i picked up a regular wi-fi kindle today at wally for $79...it apears the special offers are only in the menu and shut down screen and are not intrusive at all..i would have loved to get the 3G but i just could not bring myself to spend the extra $60 so with all the wifi hot spots in the world im sure it will serve her just fine..i was shocked to find out how many classic titles are available for free download that was a huge plus..i hope she likes it, ill find out next sunday...thanks for the info everyone