social conservatives: what does "conservative values" mean to you?

magley64

I don't believe it has drifted that much. The thought processes you have are the same processes that I've seen on almost everyone I've spoken to that claims to be a "social conservative". Sure, we've crystallized things down to a solitary issue, but it's still an issue that SC's claim as very near and dear to their hearts.

My previous job was filled with democrats. On most issues though, most were very conservative. However they voted democrat because they were union and the union told them that dems were for the working man and they believed it even though the policies the dems promote send the companies and the jobs the unions depend on straight overseas. Most people dont explore the issues, they listen to sound bites and then go vote.

My current job must have 98% hardcore conservative slant to it. I dont know any democrats there and politics is a daily subject. It breaks all barriers there. We have military, artistic, minority, atheist, religious and every other kind of conservative you can think of. All of them get their core set of ideas from a different place and some disagree on certain issues. Its nice to have a discussion of the issues with people without it getting personal or heated which is much easier to do in person than on a forum. Anyway........ on to the next subject......

That does not really surprise me. Kinda sad actually.

Why is that sad? Because all of the people that love me unconditionally don't necessarily share my DNA? Seems a little strange that you would use the word sad to define my family, but ok...

I knew going in, given that you started it, that the intent was an argumentative one rather than the informational request it was hidden behind.

I don't know whether either of you guys have any belief in a higher power at all. I have lived long enough to watch people go from where you are to where I am as far beliefs. The closer you get to your own mortality, the more one tends to view things with an open mind. I wish you both a long life. I say that with only good intent, please don't confuse it with sarcasm.

Thanks for keeping it reasonably civil. That's unusual in the political section of this forum.

But what about all the people who have gone in the opposite direction? Like myself?

I agree, we have gone a little off topic, but not too terribly much, and I have gotten the answer to the question I asked... Social conservative = theocrat

• 4 weeks later...