Ouch. Ohio education gets a C+.

Casper

The high is a B+ with the average being a C? I'll take a C+ any day! "Ohio scored A's for standards and school accountability" Not too shabby Ohio, even though I don't know what "school accountability" actually means. Its still an A+ though!

You left out that no state got higher than a B- and that Ohio is in the top ten. And things we educators can control like accountability for staff and schools we got A's. And we did that despite you taxpayers getting a D in funding.

:popcorn:

You left out that no state got higher than a B- and that Ohio is in the top ten. And things we educators can control like accountability for staff and schools we got A's. And we did that despite you taxpayers getting a D in funding.

:popcorn:

Good post, and I voted yes on my school levies "always have".

I don't know what "school accountability" actually means.

A big part of it is open enrollment. If your kids schools suck in your opinion, you can pull them and put them into another public school. And the money goes with your kids. Great for the kids that have parents that do it, but devastating for some school districts. Not all schools will let your kid in, they are not forced into taking them. The amount the kid brings with them is equal to the amount the TARGET school gets in state funding. The richer burbs with the good schools don't get much in state funding, so they don't want them. The lose a ton on the deal and it really ticks off the local homeowners whose taxes are paying for it. Its kinda complicated but that is basically how it works.

The whole thing is so broke it isn't funny. We need to totally tear down funding and start over. There actually is plenty of money, but the money from the feds and the state are all earmarked...we can only use it for very specific things. And those things are often not what is needed most or is wasteful.

For example we got some Obama money a few years ago that had to be used for technology in one of our poorer schools. There was a list of what we could buy, one of the items was some software that we already. They also provided a specific list of vendors that we had to buy this software from and at a pre-negotiated price. We had bought it a year earlier for FAR less than the price the Feds/State had negotiated.

Good post, and I voted yes on my school levies "always have".

Don't blindly vote yes, there are some districts that very much deserve no's. I work in one district but live in another. I voted no 6 times in a row until they got the hint and closed buildings. It was far overdue, they were at 70 percent capacity in their buildings. Stupid to keep those principles and admin staff and repair the buildings when the schools have 30 percent of the classrooms empty. I will give the voters credit, they voted them down 6 times in a row. As soon as there was a board approved consolidation plan we passed it. Sometimes the voters/system works.