Thinking about buying a Mosin Nagant

Carwhore

Do you have a place to shoot it and do you like rifles? $70 (at AIM, $100 at fff) isn't bad at all for a fun little rifle. I think you want it and just want everyone to convince you to spend the whopping $200 for a rile and 1000 rounds

Do you have a place to shoot it and do you like rifles? $70 (at AIM, $100 at fff) isn't bad at all for a fun little rifle. I think you want it and just want everyone to convince you to spend the whopping $200 for a rile and 1000 rounds

I have an ar10,15, ak, etc etc etc.

I've never shot one. I figured you couldn't go wrong just like you said $200 and 1000 rounds.

I guess I was looking for an opinion from someone that owns one.

I don't own one, but know 4 separate people who do and routinely shoot theirs. The 3-4' fireball you can see at night is a great novelty. The kick isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be, they are generally great condition regardless of style (i.e. I wouldn't bother paying a premium for any special one IMHO) and are overall fun. The bolt is usually hard to close, but I only know 1 out of the 4 who have even had a mis-feed with one so they are extremely reliable. The mis-feed was another friend racking the bolt too fast I think, so not even the rifle's fault.

Same as Kyle ^. I have the M-44 carbine. Great little rifle, accurate and easy to handle. Cleaning as above also, the ammo is corrosive primed for the most part. Fireball from the short guns (m-44 or m-38) is roughly basketball sized in daylight depending on the ammo brand. The fireball was one of the big reasons I got the short Mosin versus the longer 91/30.

http://youtu.be/j0UcxiseRcw

I have a 91/30 rifle from Fin Feather and Fur for $99. Great rifle. Plenty of links on-line to clean the rifle for the first time from all the storage goop. I don't shoot it too often, but usually take it everytime I go to the outdoor range.

The mag pouches that comes with the rifle makes a neat cell phone holder.

You won't regret it. I love my "black rifles" but there is large fun to be had with the Mosin rifles. Love my M44 and 91/30 and love the prices of the 7.62X54R cartridge. Oh yea...and as others have pointed out, the muzzle flash is impressive! :D Be sure to test that out in low light conditions in some high grass/weeds. It's some MAJOR fun!

Should I?

They are cheap and so is the ammo.

You won't regret it. I love my "black rifles" but there is large fun to be had with the Mosin rifles. Love my M44 and 91/30 and love the prices of the 7.62X54R cartridge. Oh yea...and as others have pointed out, the muzzle flash is impressive! :D Be sure to test that out in low light conditions in some high grass/weeds. It's some MAJOR fun!

Which of the 2 do you prefer?

Man...tough question. For accuracy the 91/30 is the winner. For sheer "boom boom fun" that includes that major muzzle blast it's the M44. I guess if I had to pick only one it would be the M44.

I guess the good things about the Mosin have already been pointed out. They are so plentiful and cheap (in price) that you can have both in a short amount of time if you want. Again, you won't be sorry. :cool:

Which of the 2 do you prefer?

the M44 is a carbine (shorter barrel) with an attached fold out spike bayonet.

I gave my dad one of these for Christmas when I was younger. He loved it and now I know why. I also like the old Enfield 303's.