Oxygen/Acetylene source?

Scruit

Where's the best place to get oxygen and acetylene in the north columbus area? I need to get a full setup from scratch - tanks, hoses etc. And I need the gas too, so I don't think I can get it all from Lowes etc. (Thie don't have the gas, just empty tanks?)

After snapping the heads off the two pinch bolts on the front steering knuckles of my Subaru... I asked the dealership how their techs deal with those bolts. They said that the techs heat them up with an oxy torch FIRST to crack the siezed rust before trying to remove them - apparently they're prone to snapping.

I have to replace the lower balljoints on my wife's subaru next. I'm sure as shit not gonna spend another $400 on knuckles and caliper supports.

Many of the weld shops I worked at used the place off 315 and Greenlawn ave. Don't remember the name but it's on the NE corner of the intersection. I think some NAPA stores also carry acetylene and welding supplies. At least the one in North Lewisburg did when I worked at CPS.

Edited by buildit

Where's the best place to get oxygen and acetylene in the north columbus area? I need to get a full setup from scratch - tanks, hoses etc. And I need the gas too, so I don't think I can get it all from Lowes etc. (Thie don't have the gas, just empty tanks?)

I have never personally dealt with them, but Central Ohio Welding Supply Co. is on E. Spring St. It is at Spring/Neilston. I looked at their website and it says they supply to businesses as well as the hobbiest.

After snapping the heads off the two pinch bolts on the front steering knuckles of my Subaru... I asked the dealership how their techs deal with those bolts. They said that the techs heat them up with an oxy torch FIRST to crack the siezed rust before trying to remove them - apparently they're prone to snapping.

I have to replace the lower balljoints on my wife's subaru next. I'm sure as shit not gonna spend another $400 on knuckles and caliper supports.

Bring it to the shop and we'll heat them and get them loose. You can put them back in with anti-seize to go home and do the job.

Bring it to the shop and we'll heat them and get them loose. You can put them back in with anti-seize to go home and do the job.

I might just do that. Gonna let my car run a couple weeks to be sure it's fully sorted before I tear itno my wife's car.

Many of the weld shops I worked at used the place off 315 and Greenlawn ave. Don't remember the name but it's on the NE corner of the intersection. I think some NAPA stores also carry acetylene and welding supplies. At least the one in North Lewisburg did when I worked at CPS.

its 71 and greenlawn. that was an Airgas, but im pretty sure that it is closed now.

there is a praxair just around the way on front and whittier.

its 71 and greenlawn. that was an Airgas, but im pretty sure that it is closed now.

there is a praxair just around the way on front and whittier.

I would say to shy away from praxair. My school used to use them but jumped ship as soon as their contract was up. I don't know is the issues they had were applicable to independent persons, but I know the dept. was not happy with them. If they are going to treat a big money account enough to make them switch, I can't imagine their customer service is very good.

I just remembered that my neighbor left me his oxy setup but not the wand. I have tanks, regulators, gauntlets, mask and hoses. I can pick up a new wand. I do recall he said that I would not be able to get the tanks filled, but I don't recall why. Dunno if they are too old or what. I could just buy tanks outright.

I just remembered that my neighbor left me his oxy setup but not the wand. I have tanks, regulators, gauntlets, mask and hoses. I can pick up a new wand. I do recall he said that I would not be able to get the tanks filled, but I don't recall why. Dunno if they are too old or what. I could just buy tanks outright.

They (acetylene tanks) have to be visually inspected every 10 years, big fines if not done (also dangerous as hell if the cylinder fails).

Figures, I spent all day in our Columbus cylinder plant. I will call over there tomorrow and get you some prices, direct from the manufacturer (us, duh). For reference, 20# Propane tanks for your grill are $8 or $9 at cost, $35+ retail...

I would say to shy away from praxair. My school used to use them but jumped ship as soon as their contract was up. I don't know is the issues they had were applicable to independent persons, but I know the dept. was not happy with them. If they are going to treat a big money account enough to make them switch, I can't imagine their customer service is very good.

good to know. i knew the praxair was there just because i live in the neighborhood. never got anything from there though.

had gone to airgas on greenlawn a few times back in the day for CO2, but havent been in a while. it looks really closed when i drive by now...

Welding shop can test it, can take it on trade, and/or can dispose of it for you.

If it's an old enough acetylene tank, they used to be lined with asbestos.

Could possibly sell it as part of a d.I.y. meth lab kit. :dunno:

How do I safely surrender these tanks? Taken them down to a welding supply store?

I have never had a problem going to airgas. You take them your used tanks, they give you new full ones; no testing needed. You can sometimes even upgrade tank size, for a small fee, if they are too small for what you want to do.