750 cruiser too small for a larger dude?

progrmr

I got my tax $$$ back and am looking to get back into a bike this year.

Got $3500 and while I could save/spend more I'm wondering if I need to. Lots of good used bikes in the $3K-4K range (maybe talk someone down from 4K to $3,500).

I'm looking at cruisers - I've been riding since '92 but wrecked a few years ago and haven't ridden much since. There's A LOT of Honda Shadow 750's out there in that price range that aren't too old and don't have too many miles on them. But I'm 5'11" and 235 w/o gear - I'm wondering if a 750 Shadow will be enough for commuting and generally short rides. Most I would probably ride it would be in-state up to Cleveland etc.

I've heard lots of good things about Honda Shadow's from a maintenance/reliability standpoint. Also the insurance on a 750 would be next to nothing.

I could hold out and try to find a 1100 Shadow, V-Star, or even an SV1000 (although that's as 'sporty' and I want to go). Even in the $3500 range there's a few offerings but the bikes are older and have more miles.

Think I'm too big for 750 cruiser? Or will it pull my big ass around just fine?

My buddy is probably your size if not a little bit heavier and he loves everything about his Suzuki Volusia 800. Its a pretty big bike and I wouldn't say its terribly underpowered. He got his 04 with 9k miles for 3k last Spring I believe

As a former Shadow owner, you won't have any problems puttering around town on it.

I'm 5'10", #190 and the bike never felt small or lacked power for everyday riding.

2-Up or loaded with gear on the highway is the only time you will be lacking. I rode mine out west where there were higher speed limits and I would push the bike to its limits just to keep up.

Other than that, the Shadows are awesome bikes with a rock solid motor and very few mechanical issues, hard to go wrong with one. You may be able to find a cheaper VTX 1300 for not much more as well. These are also great bikes.

I am a former owner of one of those. I am 6 1, it was a little short in the legs but not bad. I do weight considerably less than you, but it has a ton of get up and go. I was two up on it a lot and in total we outweighed you by a lot. It had plenty of pep, tons. You will be fine with the rides you describe. Personally I would suggest the VT750 DC models. Those are mostly pre 07's with chains. There is a bunch of aftermarket support for those. And if you end up on the highway a lot you are probably going to want a smaller rear sprocket. It buzz's a little at highway speed.

That bike is a blast to drive, well balanced. Handles very well. I still miss it once in awhile.

If you are open to bikes other than cruizers, I'd suggest looking at FZ1's. Plenty of power for 2 up riding, highway, or anything else you want to throw at it. The Gen1 FZ (2001-05) are very comfortable too. You can find a very nice one for around $3-3.5k.

Good luck.

I would suggest a 94-03 Honda Magna 750. It's a Honda, it's a cruiser, bulitproof reliability, incredibly comfortable riding position, insurance is cheap and it has 90hp and 55ft lbs of torque. It is very fast for a cruiser. Of course I am biased because I own one. Almost 50k now and not a thing has gone wrong with it ;)

I have owned a Ninja 250 and a Busa plus several others in between. I never felt inadequate on the 250. If you are sure of what you will be using it for then you are right on track with the 750 and smaller wouldn't hurt either. I ride a 250 scooter most of the time and can't find anything it won't do that a big cruiser can do. Yes, I have even owned a Road King Classic that I don’t miss at all, the scooter is shit tons more fun and practical.

Not really a cruiser guy, but I'd like to see Honda make a 4th gen Magna with the motor from the VFR1200. That would be worth riding. And it's a shame to waste such a sweet motor in that poor selling 'pig of a sport bike' or 'uncomfortable sport tourer' depending on your perspective.

/threadjack

The most fun I've ever had on a cruiser was on a 3rd gen (1994-2003) Magna 750.

I will +100 on that....you can't find a better bike that will put a bigger smile on your face for the same buck spent. Out performs in speed and handling anything in it's class and is as smooth as silk due to it's V4 engine. You can find them for 1k-5k and in various configs

getting back to the 750 shadows...one of my freinds has one and rode it around for a day and i thought it felt much bigger than it was, it is accually a fairly large framed bike. and im 6'4" and 270 lbs seemed to have plenty of go power for a cruiser

I can say from experience that you'll be fine with a Shadow Spirit 750. I'm the same height and I weigh more than you. I've had my 750 for 6 years and love it. I've rode it on long trips to Michigan and down to north Carolina to the dragon, without any issues. I also take the wife with sometimes.

There's A LOT of Honda Shadow 750's out there in that price range that aren't too old and don't have too many miles on them.

And don't buy one yet, I know a lot of peeps that have this bike. Give me a couple of days to see what is for sale. I know these people well, so at least you will know it has been well taken care of.