Auto window tint?

2talltim

Drove a bimmer w 5% for years. Never had an issue. Had many cars w tint since my teen years and never any issue. But now that I'm in my 40's I just got a ticket this past summer in my late model grand Prix. Pulled out the "tint meter" and all. Go figure. $100+ ticket, but I'm

Still not pulling off the tint. He warned me on my tinted tailed too. Said he "couldnt see them".

NoBama 2012

My sister got a warning for her tint from the highway patrol., was the cause for the stop too. My old boss got a ticket for his tint but that was from a department that is mot longer around due to being corrupt, I hear.

I don't think anyone in my department stops for window tint but I don't like walking up on car that has real dark tint.

Also, if you live in a town where the police actually do police work (i.e. not Westerville, Dublin, etc) you are less likely to be pulled over. Just my 2 cents

Very true. I've been driving my truck for months now with no exhaust at all, broke off at the Y-pipe. Akron cops don't seem to give a shit. I was sitting next to one waiting a light under a bridge. Took off as light as my foot would allow and it was still unbelievably loud. He must have had more important things to do haha.

just thought of somthing else, her impala has a very large sun roof in it that will make the car look lighter inside evenn with darker tint..think im leaning towards the 35%

tint the sunroof too :)

id get the same tint the whole way around, or at least within maybe 5% of each other... i just think it looks jankey when i see a car with two different tint levels if they are way different.

ive never been stopped specifically for tint, knock on wood, but have been stopped twice for other things, and they never said anything about the tint being too dark... or the tint below the AS1 line on the windshield. :devil:

one time was at night and i turned on the dome light as soon as i stopped. you can see in just fine with the light on... idk if that made a difference or not... maybe he just didnt care.

i did get a ticket for tint when i was like 17 though... the officer wrote 'window tent' on the ticket... :lol:

Edited by John

If the cop is on a ticket trip, they can and will just pull you over for tint and give a ticket. I got pulled over on a cloudy day, and at dusk. Older cop ticketed me for tint. Said he pulled me over for not being able to see in my car. Never metered it, just said it was to dark. Yes my mustang is at 20%, and I know it is against the law. Yes, I rolled down both driver and passenger window all the way. Was never asked to roll the window up or anything. Asked for my license and insurance, and wrote on the pad then handed everything back to me, and I signed the ticket.

Went to court over it, because the cop said I could fight the ticket and probably get out of it, but the judge said if an officer can't see inside the car, then it is to dark. 125 dollars for the ticket. Told the judge that it was never metered, and he said that it didn't matter because if he couldn't see in the vehicle when passing(on a "freeway going opposite direction), it was to dark.

I asked the judge why it mattered if a cop couldn't see in the vehicle while passing by on the highway, without any reason to pull a person over. Wouldn't give me an answer, and that was it. I felt like it was a way for a cop to profile vehicles without getting in trouble. Hell, he had the ticket pretty much wrote out by the time he got to the car.

tint the sunroof too :)

id get the same tint the whole way around, or at least within maybe 5% of each other... i just think it looks jankey when i see a car with two different tint levels if they are way different.

the sun roof has a inside slide shade on it can close or open at any time..as far as the different in levels the place im having it done at accually carries 26% and 37% instead of the standard 20 or 35 so that makes it a little colser. i just used 20 and 35 as a standard for this conversation because more people can relate to those levels as a standard

with dark windows, i put all windows down when being stopped, and put on dome light if its at night time....not really an officer safety issue if everyone would do this. im sure the officers that stopped me appreciated it

ill never have a car with anything but 5% again...its soo nice, blocks the sun, keeps it cool, etc...love it

i also like 50% on the windshield, dark enough to block some sun, but not so much that it hinders night driving...also protects the dash from cracking etc...not done on my current vehicle though, but only because im cheap

Just think if you get pulled over for tint, and then they find all the midget hookers and blow you've got stashed in your glove box. Just not worth the hassle :D

I've been pulled over for tinted tail light covers. He made me remove them or he was going to ticket me. This was a Deputy Sheriff in Rushville, Ohio. I mean almost in the middle of no where.

Regarding 7+ passenger vehicles, it is my understanding that the drivers and passengers side still have to be 50% or less. I went to a few different Ohio State Patrol stations to find this out when I had my Accord.

Here is what I was given... http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp12/rrohr505/WindowTintLaw-1.jpg

Edited by Ron505

I'm not reading this thread but I've said it a million times

DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON 50% tint. Absolute waste! I have 20% all around on my truck and its not really that dark at all. I had 35% front and 20% back on my Grand Am and G35 and I doubt you'll get messed with much as 35% is pretty damn ligth

Did you get the 4th row seat option? Or is your front seat a bench?

My Suburban will only legaly seat 7.

I've got the third row bench and the front is a bench with a flip down console..the tird row might only seat 2 but that would still seat 8

Forgot to mention and probably too late now but 5% DOES make it a PITA to drive at night. Backing up, turns in neighborhoods, etc all require me to roll down the windows (minimum drivers window) to see. But I would still do the 5% again.

Thought about automating the windows to roll down when car put in reverse, etc:)

NoBama 2012

Forgot to mention and probably too late now but 5% DOES make it a PITA to drive at night. Backing up, turns in neighborhoods, etc all require me to roll down the windows (minimum drivers window) to see. But I would still do the 5% again.

Thought about automating the windows to roll down when car put in reverse, etc:)

NoBama 2012

i went with the 26/33 here is the before and after thread .. http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=88831

Dunno what I have - was tinted when I bought it. VERY dark. Had interactions with the police a couple times since then but never as a result of me doing something wrong (Called in a burglary report, not-at-fault accidetn etc) and the tint was never questioned.