4x4 problems- a lil help please

cOoTeR

It means the transfer case is working correctly if the encoder motor is what engages the transfer case then i'd say yes.. Move up to the front axle. Something there is not working correctly. Either mechanical, (hubs maybe) or electrical.

Does your new acuator actually actuate? lol. It should.

Here is a schematic maybe. http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/kmp1171/2009-12-20_004544_displayTSBHandler.pdf

Edited by Gump

Is there a way to test the switch panels?

I pulled the panel, opened it up and saw broken solder joints for some of the connector pins. You can tell because when you are looking at the back of the circuit board where the pins are soldered you should not be able to see them move when you wiggle each pin. If you see one move that's a broken joint that must be resoldered.

On mine I could hear the encoder motor trying to activate, kind of a clicking sound, but it was not switching from 2wd to 4wd. I was told when they do this you can bet tha's the problem. The tech said that was one of the worst types of setups and GM really screwed the pooch on most of their 4wd's from the early 90's on up. Somewhere in the late 90's GM (supposedly) fixed the problem but the newer style still is their weak point and proves GM just didn't really fix that wink link. He said the only way to test one of the e. mtrs is by replacing it with one that works.

They are great when they work, and when they don't makes you want to drive the sob over a cliff....lol

R&R on the older ones was't too bad a job if you have a lift, but these newer ones is a pita kind of job, but it's doable.

Ok so yesterday I pulled the plugs one at a time off the transfer case to test for current while my wife switched from 4wd and 2wd. I was using one of those test lights that looks like a screwdriver with a light inside and had the wire attached to a bolt on the frame. I don't think I ever found a good ground because I never got the light to light up. At some point the 4hi button quit doing anything (i don't know when because the wife didn't notice. But the 4lo kept engaging in the transfer case and I couldn't turn the drive shaft by hand, the wheels still didn't lock in and the light kept flashing. I found a bent pin inside the connection at the back of the transmission/transfer case that had a bent prong and I straightened it with a screw driver so it would plug into the connection properly. Nows when I noticed the 4hi was no longer flashing when pressed and 2hi was staying lit. I checked and realized I had blown the 4x4 fuse while testing for current and replaced it. Still no change with the 4hi button. I'll have to buy a new set of jack stands because somehow during the move they got left behind but ill put it up on stands and look at it asap.

dude I'm telling ya you're wasting so much effort on this. buy a new switch first. I know they're rather expensive but the switch on gm's go bad a lot. every one of the trucks my buddy had that did exactly what you described was always the switch on the dash.

I know it feels like you'd be throwing parts at it .

I bet you'd find your answer on a 4X4 forum in like 3 min of searching.

Edited by serpentracer

You should be able to test the switch rather easily. Pull it. Put your meter on continuity and test the switch leads. when its off you should have an open and when its turned to on you should have a closure and the meter will give off a tone.

Ok so yesterday I pulled the plugs one at a time off the transfer case to test for current while my wife switched from 4wd and 2wd. I was using one of those test lights that looks like a screwdriver with a light inside and had the wire attached to a bolt on the frame. I don't think I ever found a good ground because I never got the light to light up. At some point the 4hi button quit doing anything (i don't know when because the wife didn't notice. But the 4lo kept engaging in the transfer case and I couldn't turn the drive shaft by hand, the wheels still didn't lock in and the light kept flashing. I found a bent pin inside the connection at the back of the transmission/transfer case that had a bent prong and I straightened it with a screw driver so it would plug into the connection properly. Nows when I noticed the 4hi was no longer flashing when pressed and 2hi was staying lit. I checked and realized I had blown the 4x4 fuse while testing for current and replaced it. Still no change with the 4hi button. I'll have to buy a new set of jack stands because somehow during the move they got left behind but ill put it up on stands and look at it asap.

You need a front axle actuator if the transfer case is engaging, and the wheels aren't, as you are saying it is. If that actuator is what you have replaced, try checking the connector at that actuator for 12 volts when the driveshaft is locking up. The actuator gets 12 volts from a switch on the transfer case. There should be a connector with brown, light blue, and grey with black stripe wires. The brown should have 12 volts anytime the ignition switch is on. When the transfer case is in 4wd, the light blue wire should get 12 volts.

There is also a switch on the front axle to report back to the module that it is engaged. It will send 12 volts back to the T/C module when engaged. If the module doesn't see this signal, it will flash the light waiting for it. The light will also flash if it doesn't see the transfer case motor go into the range that it commanded. The transfer case control module does NOT directly turn on the front axle actuator, that is done through the switch I mentioned.

The big connector on the transfer case motor... Get your test light away from it! There are 5 volt circuits in there, and you could fry your transfer case control module.

dude I'm telling ya you're wasting so much effort on this. buy a new switch first. I know they're rather expensive but the switch on gm's go bad a lot. every one of the trucks my buddy had that did exactly what you described was always the switch on the dash.

I know it feels like you'd be throwing parts at it .

I bet you'd find your answer on a 4X4 forum in like 3 min of searching.

If the transfer case is engaging, making the front driveshaft lock with the truck in park, the switch is working, at least enough to get it into one of the 4wd modes.

The transfer case switch (in the dash) is all 12 volts. You should get 12 volts out of the white wire when you press 2wd, 4-hi should get 12 volts on the gray with black stripe wire, and 4 lo should be the dark green with white stripe. If that checks out, the switch is good.

This is why I love my old Yota. Lock the hubs, pull the lever and you are in 4wd. Why did things have to get so complicated?

complicated makes my life easier...love being able to switch from 2 to 4 on the fly :D

This is why I love my old Yota. Lock the hubs, pull the lever and you are in 4wd. Why did things have to get so complicated?

While you're out digging around in the dark, possibly in the snow or mud, the guys with the "complicated" system are wheeling on down the road!

Actually, I like the manual transfer case of the older Chevy's with the front axle actuator. Still don't have to get out to lock in the hubs, but have a LOT fewer electrical parts to fail.

From a technician's view, I like the electronic stuff. It gives me more work! :lol:

Whats the big deal? :dunno:

Just jump out of the truck and twist the lockout like a man, Nancy. Or, lock them out before you leave. It doesnt hurt anything.

I have the fancy shit on my 4Runner and Suburban. Its just more shit to break.

Getting older and don't like to get cold and wet. :)

For the record, I don't have a truck, just a Honda Pilot. It's 4wd or awd or something like that. :lol:

If the transfer case is engaging, making the front driveshaft lock with the truck in park, the switch is working, at least enough to get it into one of the 4wd modes.

I know it doesn't sound right but every stinking one of them did exactly that. sounds like it locks in but the dash lights blink.

every stinking time it was just the dash switch.

we found this out because his buddy owns a transmission shop (collins transmission here in cincy)

I"m keeping an eye on this thread. I'd be surprised if it turns out to be something else. but hey, I've been fooled before lol cars are a bitch sometimes.

Just jump out of the truck and twist the lockout like a man, Nancy. Or, lock them out before you leave. It doesnt hurt anything.

Im with you on this I test drove a new tacoma with 100miles on it when the stripped down 4wd 4banger came out with push swich fuck up & I coud not get a 4wd stick in it any more & that was what made me not buy it took 5min to put it in 4wd low

True, but if you are going down the road, and come upon road conditions where you need it in 4wd being able to just switch it over without stopping on the side of the road or waiting until you get to an off ramp is very handy.

• 2 weeks later...