WTB Mt. Bike

4DAIVI PAI2K5

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better question is what do you want to spend and what do you intend to use it for?

I've been riding MTB for several years and can help ya out with any questions. Personally, I'd go 29er.

I have a Niner right now and will never turn back. I started with a Gary Fisher Paragon to test the waters on 29ers as I have always been a custom 26 guy. But, rode the Fisher a few times and started to totally revamp everything into what I expected and wanted. Ended up being twice the bike it started out as.

I then decided to ditch my 26 and my Fisher and just get the Niner. I am looking at a new XC hardtail also.

Here's my Niner:

SideRIP.jpg

PM me or ask some questions. A LOAD of great bikes out there that can be had new and within a reasonable budget.

Buddy has a Trek 4500 disc. Im trying to get him to sell me. Are they any good?

Trek makes good bikes, if you like it buy it. Sometimes it's just a preference for what you like Grip shift (twist shifters) V Shimano Rapid Fire. My favorite is still Old School thumb shifters. My Cannondale pictured has XT 7 speed thumb shifters and I love them.

Look on craigs list too and I bet you can find a deal. The only thing that loses value faster than boats is bicycles. :D

Buddy has a Trek 4500 disc. Im trying to get him to sell me. Are they any good?

I'd recommend that model in the disc. It's a solid bike and is a great frame that will hold up for a long time.

The components are what you pay for essentially as with that family for example, they have different levels and as you get more expensive, the frame is the same through the line, but the components get better.

What you want to look for used is a good component group. Too often companies will use combination of components as it is cheaper. X9 rear with X7 shifters for example. All fine, but to find a common family is nice.

Twist shifts are terrible and most do not use them. I would advise against. Typical top line shifters are thumb operated. Also understand that just because it states XTR or X9, etc, doesn't make it great. There's some pretty old stuff out there and usually, the newer lower end is as good as the top shelf stuff just 5 years ago.

The newest XT is WAY better than XTR stuff just 5 years ago. Same with X9 is better than X0 was a few years ago, etc.

It's like computers. The updated stuff changes every year and they get better and better. I was going to go XX complete front to rear on my build this year, but went with the X0 as it was superior and stronger actually. It's all what you are going to do with it also.

You might also consider buying a frame and building, but it is usually a lot more. Look on Craigslist and chime in with some bikes you find. If you want to spend around $300-$400, I can find you an awesome machine. What size frame would you run? I am thinking a Medium as you are a hair shorter than I am and I ride a LG usually.

Anyways, the Trek is a great choice for the money. What year?

I'd recommend that model in the disc. It's a solid bike and is a great frame that will hold up for a long time.

The components are what you pay for essentially as with that family for example, they have different levels and as you get more expensive, the frame is the same through the line, but the components get better.

What you want to look for used is a good component group. Too often companies will use combination of components as it is cheaper. X9 rear with X7 shifters for example. All fine, but to find a common family is nice.

Twist shifts are terrible and most do not use them. I would advise against. Typical top line shifters are thumb operated. Also understand that just because it states XTR or X9, etc, doesn't make it great. There's some pretty old stuff out there and usually, the newer lower end is as good as the top shelf stuff just 5 years ago.

The newest XT is WAY better than XTR stuff just 5 years ago. Same with X9 is better than X0 was a few years ago, etc.

It's like computers. The updated stuff changes every year and they get better and better. I was going to go XX complete front to rear on my build this year, but went with the X0 as it was superior and stronger actually. It's all what you are going to do with it also.

You might also consider buying a frame and building, but it is usually a lot more. Look on Craigslist and chime in with some bikes you find. If you want to spend around $300-$400, I can find you an awesome machine. What size frame would you run? I am thinking a Medium as you are a hair shorter than I am and I ride a LG usually.

Anyways, the Trek is a great choice for the money. What year?

Im a hair under 6'2

not sure what year it is maybe a 08 or 09? He has had it for a couple years

just go to your local bike store, even their cheapest one will be crazy better than anything a big box store will have, I think I paid just shy of 300 for my Raleigh, I forget the model but i've given it quite the beating and it takes it in stride! She goes to the bike shop everyspring for a once and tune up, well worth it!

Fox racing guy. Do you have road bikes or components?

Only 2, My old Cannondale 3.0 "crash a terium" with Campagnolo Record components & tubular tires. If your not familiar with tubular tires these are where the tube is sewn into the tire casing then you glue it on the wheel.

My old Cinelli fixed gear is in my attic. I use to live in San Diego and rode at the velodrome there frequently.

Better question is what do you want to spend and what do you intend to use it for?

I've been riding MTB for several years and can help ya out with any questions. Personally, I'd go 29er.

I have a Niner right now and will never turn back. I started with a Gary Fisher Paragon to test the waters on 29ers as I have always been a custom 26 guy. But, rode the Fisher a few times and started to totally revamp everything into what I expected and wanted. Ended up being twice the bike it started out as.

I then decided to ditch my 26 and my Fisher and just get the Niner. I am looking at a new XC hardtail also.

Here's my Niner:

SideRIP.jpg

PM me or ask some questions. A LOAD of great bikes out there that can be had new and within a reasonable budget.

nice niner, you doing any ombc races this summer?

Throw in a BJ and I bet you could work a deal Parks! I still have my Specialized Rock Hopper from my 6th grade year in elementary school. No lie. Only thing I've ever had to change is tires/tubes, brakes. Going to take it in this spring and get the whole thing redone though. Cables, brakes, tires/tubes, etc.

Thing is nasty nice and I wanna get to Hocking with it.

After moving back to the Midwest, I find myself missing my old hardtail.

I would take a Moots YBB if I could find one but I have been thinking about a carbon rig.

I haven't followed the bike manfs for a good 10 years and the last time I was in a decent bike shop, most of the new rigs were going for over $3k.

Single speeders are tempting but not shifting can cure that desire. Any thoughts or reviews on which way to go for a current hardtail? I am not sold on the benefits of the 29's but then, it didn't think a full suspension would be worth the weight until I got one.