WTB Mt. Bike

4DAIVI PAI2K5

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to Mohican on Sunday. Anyone has any tips on where to park and such. Buddies and I have never been there to we have no idea where to start at.

There's a designated parking lot at the intersection of rt 3 and something else i believe. It's key to start here because each mile is marked. the first 2 miles are up hill :) The first 8 or 9 miles (the first road crossing) is bi-directional. Mile 10-11 is the descent to the covered bridge. Mile 12-15 is back up the mountain and complete hell! Mile 15-24 has a lot down hill sections.

Enjoy!

Can we skip around the uphill parts LOL, We have never went for this long of a ride. Is there places we are able to fill up on water? We're can we park a car for when we're dead and can't make it all the way back to the other car LOL

Edited by 4DAIVI PAI2K5

Can we skip around the uphill parts LOL, We have never went for this long of a ride. Is there places we are able to fill up on water? We're can we park a car for when we're dead and can't make it all the way back to the other car LOL

One loop is 24 miles and is pretty brutal if you haven't been mtn biking or aren't in good shape. If you bring two cars I would suggest parking one at the covered bridge. That way, you can do 11 miles and see how you feel. If you feel decent, you can do the 11-15 mile section. At the end of this section you cross the covered bridge road. There's a big gravel lot here too. You don't need to park here for you can take the road (all down hill) back to the covered bridge.

I always ride with a camelbak and a bottle of something in my cage. I would suggest taking a few cliffbars with you too.

There are no places to fill up on water. I've seen people drop off gallons of water at road crossings before. I think these people were trail running for 8 hours or so.

If you've never done this before, I would say plan for a 4-5hr day on the trail.

One loop is 24 miles and is pretty brutal if you haven't been mtn biking or aren't in good shape. If you bring two cars I would suggest parking one at the covered bridge. That way, you can do 11 miles and see how you feel. If you feel decent, you can do the 11-15 mile section. At the end of this section you cross the covered bridge road. There's a big gravel lot here too. You don't need to park here for you can take the road (all down hill) back to the covered bridge.

I always ride with a camelbak and a bottle of something in my cage. I would suggest taking a few cliffbars with you too.

This was my plan after seeing the map. Glad to hear that its doable.

There are no places to fill up on water. I've seen people drop off gallons of water at road crossings before. I think these people were trail running for 8 hours or so.

If you've never done this before, I would say plan for a 4-5hr day on the trail.

Ok. Thanks for the time frame I was wondering that.

Damn I just got home and showered from Alum P1 and I can do it in about 40-50 minutes and thats only 6 miles. Gonna try it twice here soon. I would like to try to do mohican by the end of October and was figuring 4-5 hours estimate.

I was curious about this... Zorro how long did it take you to get that fast or build up the stamina to do more miles?

Damn I just got home and showered from Alum P1 and I can do it in about 40-50 minutes and thats only 6 miles. Gonna try it twice here soon. I would like to try to do mohican by the end of October and was figuring 4-5 hours estimate.

I was curious about this... Zorro how long did it take you to get that fast or build up the stamina to do more miles?

P1 has no elevation, but more obstacles than Mohican.

To get fast, I hired a coach. Started around Thanksgiving of 2011 and trained seriously until the Mohican 100. She had me do so many different things....running, hiking, stationary bike at the gym, stairs, rowing, and lifting. When the weather broke in the spring...I'd go to the trail and pedal all damn day. I lost like 24lbs (194 to 170) and 5 inches off my waist. It helped tremendously.

To put it in perspective, before training, I was able to do two loops around p2...33mins and about 38 minutes. a week in to training, i did 4 loops in 3 hours and felt like dying.

Fast forward to spring. I could do 4 loops in 2hr 20 mins. Felt like i could do more. By June, I felt like i could 30 min laps all day. They had a time trial race there in June or July....fastest lap. I did 27:46 i think at p2.

The best way to get fast is lose weight, do any type of cardio you can find, and lift weights...so you can do more cardio....longer.

P1 has no elevation, but more obstacles than Mohican.

To get fast, I hired a coach. Started around Thanksgiving of 2011 and trained seriously until the Mohican 100. She had me do so many different things....running, hiking, stationary bike at the gym, stairs, rowing, and lifting. When the weather broke in the spring...I'd go to the trail and pedal all damn day. I lost like 24lbs (194 to 170) and 5 inches off my waist. It helped tremendously.

To put it in perspective, before training, I was able to do two loops around p2...33mins and about 38 minutes. a week in to training, i did 4 loops in 3 hours and felt like dying.

Fast forward to spring. I could do 4 loops in 2hr 20 mins. Felt like i could do more. By June, I felt like i could 30 min laps all day. They had a time trial race there in June or July....fastest lap. I did 27:46 i think at p2.

The best way to get fast is lose weight, do any type of cardio you can find, and lift weights...so you can do more cardio....longer.

Damn thats getting it. Ive road P2 twice but like P1 better so I ride it more. I plan on getting back in the gym soon and dropping some pounds. MTB been fun so far and I am still progressing each ride. Hopefully I can get up to that one of these days but Id be happy right now to ride the entire course without putting a foot down.

Hopefully I can get up to that one of these days but Id be happy right now to ride the entire course without putting a foot down.

Do you clip in? If not, that will help you out...you'll be able to pedal more efficiently by pulling back + lifting up, in addition to just pushing down.