First gun

Hutch

Theres plenty who know more than me but...

Any basic cheap ammo should work well through it. Tul-Ammo or Wolf for real cheap if your range/backyard allows steel cased ammo.

For a defense round....I personally use Hydra-shock but recently bought some Hornady Critical Defense as it is supposed to expand more reliably.

I will get flamed for this but i have had good luck with the Blazer ammo for range time, i would stay away from shooting that steel case stuff but thats just my opinion. As far as what to load your magezines with for defense that is personal preferance. There are a lot of nice rounds out right now and all that hit a body will do substantial damage.

Haven't seen the reason in writing, but have been told by the range that it messes up their recycling of the spent cases and actually damages the back-stop.

I can't find anything but metal ammo for my Mosin (haven't looked very hard though). That's the reason the range gave me for denying it, almost verbatim.