what do we think of iranian kamikaze boats?

magley64

kamikaze boats can be a problem in a harbor or narrow passages but in open water I would expect they would just be target practice for Navy guns or missiles. Current ship defenses are designed to defend against surface hugging missiles at near super-sonic speeds. Any surface ship would be an easy target.

Electric mini-subs and shore launched surface to surface missiles are much more of a threat in an open combat.

Craig

In the first gulf was the Lybians had 4 subs. I remember my captain was hoping they would come out. He was itchin to put all that war game training to practical use.

My understanding is that electric subs in shallow/confined waters is a much more difficult target than Nuc subs in the open ocean. They are quieter because they dont have moving parts in the engine plant and the sea floor provides additional cover. Not saying he wasn't hoping for action but it could have been a dangerous task.

Craig

I like how they said it in the article.

Iran now has 10 small submarines, he said.

Military experts say the U.S. Navy's Fifth Fleet patrolling the Gulf - which always has at least one giant supercarrier accompanied by scores of jets and a fleet of frigates and destroyers - is overwhelmingly more powerful than Iran's navy.

I like how they said it in the article.

Iran now has 10 small submarines, he said.

Military experts say the U.S. Navy's Fifth Fleet patrolling the Gulf - which always has at least one giant supercarrier accompanied by scores of jets and a fleet of frigates and destroyers - is overwhelmingly more powerful than Iran's navy.

:lol: this reminds me of ricky gervais on falklands...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo0Pz0wTSZw

Let's not forget the USS Cole...

There is a lot of boat traffic, both big and small, in the waters around Iran. A half dozen fishing boats could move relatively close enough to one of our boats, do it with the same boats for a few days and people stop paying attention to them.

Day three dawns, and right at a change of shifts, two boats (with big motors) dart towards one of our ships and... Hopefully we're ready.

Our Navy is geared up for deep sea activity, in shallower waters with less room to maneuver, our power is decreased significantly.