R.I.P. threads, their meaning or value

Uncle Punk

I stand on both sides... I think it can be somewhat therapeutic to read the threads as many of times, people who DO know the fallen, chime in with decent stories or memories that make us smile, etc. Again, if you know the rider...

However, I also find it strange that people post RIP Fallen Rider who never knew them, never even rode the stretch of rode or even had a similar incident or knew someone who passed in a similar way.

When we see fallen riders like my memory of Simoncelli and Gary Nixon. I talked and had some funny memories of Nixon. I feel we lost a hero of sorts and a colorful character that makes up this sport. I also feel terrible to see a fallen fellow racer as I have seen a few of these first hand and feel we tend to have loss in our sport that leave us with a hole and a void that never seems to get filled. Ever... I run Lenz and Sic decals to remind me that they had passion and had a shortened life and we missed some truly amazing, yet to come experiences... We mourn our heros. We mourn our family and to some, I guess, family can be someone you didn't know.

I personally think that if there are Fallen Riders sections, etc., that they are simply postings and locked. Purely for reminder, maybe a note that someone passed and maybe it helps inform others that knew that person.

If famous, I think the posting can be made and allow for responses. They are famous and tend to touch us all in ways that speak to our hearts or our passions for the sport.

Dunno...

Or, just have people post stories of positive memories to keep the spirit alive...

If people respond with comments that they should have acted differently, shouldn't have done what they did, etc then that is fine also. Truth sucks at times and unfortunately, if you do something stupid, get killed and even possibly harm others, why are RIP threads even posted? I think if you post a RIP thread, it should be due to a tragedy, not ignorance...

RIP threads are devoid of any value whatsoever.

Most of us don't know the rider involved, so we have no personal connection with them.

Posting "RIP" or some little emoticon of a kneeling rider doesn't do shit for the family, friends, or anyone else attached to the situation.

It's the internet version of those stupid stickers people put on cars: "RIP Joe Blow 1995-2010". I care about Joe Blow's demise almost as much as I care about your kid being an honor student.

I do read the threads every so often just to get the details and locations of the crash, more for morbid curiosity than anything else.

So, we racers that run Lenz, Sic, Nixon, etc decals are stupid? I think that's a bit of a stretch. I think people that pay memory to those they enjoyed watching, lived with, were family or friends of, etc are awesome.

I run decals as seen here for a fallen family friend of a boy that fought a hard battle with a disease that took him from us all too early. Am I stupid for making this decal???

GSXRQuay.jpg

So, we racers that run Lenz, Sic, Nixon, etc decals are stupid? I think that's a bit of a stretch. I think people that pay memory to those they enjoyed watching, lived with, were family or friends of, etc are awesome.

I run decals as seen here for a fallen family friend of a boy that fought a hard battle with a disease that took him from us all too early. Am I stupid for making this decal???

I said the decals are stupid.

If it helps you cope by putting a piece of adhesive on your car window, knock yourself out.

Lenz, Sic, Nixon, etc

I don't know who any of those people are.

I said the decals are stupid.

If it helps you cope by putting a piece of adhesive on your car window, knock yourself out.

I don't know who any of those people are.

Wow... So, anybody that runs a decal to remember a friend, family member, hero, someone they looked up to, etc is a stupid thing to do?

You're a pretty cold dude and obviously never seen someone die in front of you, never had a fallen friend you cannot ever forget or maybe even had someone like Quay that I put decals on everything I have who would have thought the idea was awesome and would have been all about it.

I'll tell his older brother it is stupid he runs the decals on his helmet and bike also...

:rolleyes:

Don't get into bike racing much do you?

Not a bit.

You're a pretty cold dude and obviously never seen someone die in front of you, never had a fallen friend you cannot ever forget or maybe even had someone like Quay that I put decals on everything I have who would have thought the idea was awesome and would have been all about it.

I'll tell his older brother it is stupid he runs the decals on his helmet and bike also...

I am a cold dude. I appreciate the compliment.

I'm not so arrogant as to think that anyone else gives a fuck about something or someone I care about, so I'm sure not going to slather "RIP" stickers all over my ride to tell the world how thoughtful and caring I am.

But hey, do what you want. Put your friend's epitaph on the window of your Grand Caravan, next to the Sunoco free gas sweepstakes sticker. Actually, that may be appropriate... next to the epitaph for the dinosaurs...

• Upvote 1

Not a bit.

I am a cold dude. I appreciate the compliment.

I'm not so arrogant as to think that anyone else gives a fuck about something or someone I care about, so I'm sure not going to slather "RIP" stickers all over my ride to tell the world how thoughtful and caring I am.

But hey, do what you want. Put your friend's epitaph on the window of your Grand Caravan, next to the Sunoco free gas sweepstakes sticker. Actually, that may be appropriate... next to the epitaph for the dinosaurs...

So now we are all arrogant. Nice... You're a total tool bag, dude. I get it. I suspect that when you are dead and gone, not too many people will even know or care. Probably just the way you'd want it...

Sad.