electronics folks..what is this?

2talltim

That is a resistor

R1 just means resistor 1 for placement on the board. Kinda like coloring by numbers.

Why do you ask. Do you think you need or can actually replace it? Those connectors are awful damn close together and I think you will be hard pressed to right the right Ohm or size resistor to fit there. Size is your biggest problem.

surface mount resistors are not the worst thing in the world to solder

True but thats a little bastid. If its burnt up, you wont be able to tell the resistance of it and I dont know how well it will be marked on the R itself.

no no no im not going to replace it ...your going to laugh at me here but i thought maybe just maybe it was a led pod..you see this is the dimmer switch of my tahoe and it drives me nuts that it isnt lit up with the dash , well this was the only thing under there so apparantly it is not lit up by design. now im thinking about runing a 50ma incandescent to the switch housing

dont know why but it drives me nuts...i have to replace one of the HVAC bulbs so why ive got my shit out i might as well mod the dimmer...i also have 2 out on the radio but thats another days project