Hope for us "mature" track-day guys

motociclista

The motorcycling population is aging and so am I, so it's natural that I've thought to myself, how many years of riding do I have ahead of me? At what age will I have to give up track days?

I recently talked to a guy who gives me hope that I've got lots of years of track days ahead: Owen Edwards still does 6-10 track days a year at age 74!

Click here if you want to read my profile of him at Accelerate magazine.

My dad will be 60 in July and he is an instructor and rides in A group everywhere. I can't post pics at work, but will when I get home.. He still runs solid times!

You forgot to mention that he's faster than you also.

And he likes his bananas in the afternoon when someone doesn't leave them at home.

:D

But for real, pops is quick.

damn I was hoping this thread was going to turn into an epic one of bashing the Bro-mosexual group of track day guys :D

Would you buy a goddamn track bike already, or stop buying street parts for the CBR?!:D

Would you buy a goddamn track bike already, or stop buying street parts for the CBR?!:D

the cbr is gonna pull double duty so long as this house doesnt cost me more money than I'm budgeting for! The FE I got for it makes it 2 bolts and 2 connectors to remove for track use :)

the cbr is gonna pull double duty so long as this house doesnt cost me more money than I'm budgeting for!

HAHAHAHAHAhahahahaha :lol:

So you're saying you're never going to do a trackday then?

Why do you think some guys wait until they're 50 or 60 to get on the track? The only way they can afford it is without a mortgage!

Why do you think some guys wait until they're 50 or 60 to get on the track? The only way they can afford it is without a mortgage!

I should've said initial cost. It helps that I'll also have 2 other people paying rent and sharing bills so my current lifestyle isn't changed much!

I've rode with Dub's dad 2 or 3 times now, 3 total and I can say this dude is FAST and smooth. It's actually an honor to ride with someone like him because of what he brings to the table. He actually has helped me more times than I can say with all kinds of track things. Not to mention he's just super legit, friendly, funny as heck, and a good man.

60 and still ripping stuff up at the track!

Well, in their 20's, most are chasing female tail on the weekend.

In their 30's, they catch that tail and then go through all kinds of hopes to secure that tail (house, car, kids)

In their 40's, they stop getting tail and reminisce about getting tail and doing the financial cost/benefit/breakeven analysis of removing the defective tail.

In their 50's. they realize they have no chance of eliminating current tail or catching any new tail, the tail they have is not worth the cost and death doesn't sound like such a bad deal.

So, they go back to chasing tail which is all we were ever designed to do.

(ok, I started in my mid-40s, but I am still slow)

Edited by Revelstoker