Rider Mistakes and Lessons Learned

abdecal

ADVICE FOR NOOBS FROM EXPERIENCED RIDERS

-Always respect your bike, Respect others around you, and ALWAYS be ready to react

-Always watch for gravel in turns and intersections.

-There is always more traction on the asphalt than in the grass.

-Even if you think you're going to blow a turn, look where you want to go, and lean in. 90% of the time, you'll make it

-Safest riding is as far away from cars as possible

-No matter how weak or strong your horn is, use it often even when it really may not be called for

-Watch for oil slicks at intersections

-Always leave yourself an out

-Never ever try to keep up with someone if you aren't 150% comfortable with the pace

-Never go fast enough in a corner that you can't turn tighter in response to debris on the road

-Don't tailgate. Just because the car in front of you didn't swerve, doesn't mean there's no obstruction

-When you stop at an intersection behind a car favor one side not the center so you have an out if a car approaches from behind and doesn't see you

-Just because there is a yellow line in the middle of the road doesn't mean an oncoming car wont cross it.

-When riding in the country take extra care during the times when farmers plant and harvest their fields.

-Try to avoid jabbing the brakes, squeeze them progressively harder and nice and steady they will stop that bike a lot faster than you think if you don't lock them up

-If you find yourself on a dirt/gravel road or driveway avoid the front brake

-Always assume you are invisible

-Be sure to not get in anyone's blind spot

-Stay in the car's tire tracks...it tends to be cleaner there

-Take the MSF Course

-Learn how to really relax on the bike. Drop your elbows & grip the bike with your legs. The bars are for control inputs only. If you are using the bars for anything else such as weight support it will cause you to make unintended control inputs

-Eye contact with another driver in an intersection does NOT mean that they see you

-If you ever get a tankslapper (where the bike is wobbling side to side and it feels like you're going to get thrown off like a bull). let off throttle and grab a handful of clutch. Touching brakes is going to send you over the edge, let the bike right itself.

-ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure tire pressure is where it needs to be

-Stay out of semi wake. its a scary place

-Park it near the lane in a parking lot

-In the left lane of the highway, stay on the right track. It puts you in mirrors better as you pass people. Right lane, left track

-The tar strips are also commonly referred to as "road snakes", and they will give a LOT more than they appear to

-Steel manhole covers can be slippery when dry. Same for steel plates over road construction

-Wind is disconcerting, but you're not going to crash. Loosen up on the grip, let the bike sway, it's 95% the top of the bike moving while the wheels stay in one place tracking as they should

-Watch for slower vehicles and know what they are doing before you make a move.

-Leave it in gear at a stop. You don't want to grab the clutch and fumble for 1st. When sitting and the guy behind you isn't stopping.

-If going on a group ride find out what is expected. And let it be known what you expect. Even if its only one other guy.

-Practice your panic stops at the beginning of every season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start of thread...

I'm one that would rather learn from someone else's mistakes before having to learn from my own. Since I am a brand new rider I would like to hear some mistakes that you guys made and learned from.

Some things I learned from driving (not riding) over the years...

*When entering or leaving an intersection, if you're not sure you can make it... don't go.

*Just because someone has their turn signal on, doesn't mean they are going to turn.

*Always assume you are invisible.

*If possible, watch what the driver is doing in the car that is entering the roadway. (This has saved me quite a few collisions)

What I learned from riding the past couple of days...

*When you think you know what you're doing, you don't.

I'm really interested in hearing rider specific issues but all driving/riding lessons are welcome.

Edited by abdecal
  • Upvote 1

You have two sets of handlebars, the ones you grab onto and your eyes.

Wherever you're looking is where you'll go.

Don't believe me? Try it (in an empty parking lot)...

***edit - what Grape said... :D

We all like to defend our right of way sometimes, to drive tactically to prevent someone doing something stupid, to get a little close to the back of the guy who just pulle dout so you can make a point about how close they made you get, to keep someone from cutting in line after you've been waiting for 30 minutes etc...

That sh!t is all well and good if you drive an SUV, but not on a bike. I tmay be that the driver didn't see you, so you could be defending your ROW with your life.

I've had a lady who was to my right (in a dedicated right-turn lane) continue on straight and wind up in the shoulder to my right. When she realized she was on the shoulder she signalled left and looked at me - our head were level. She motioned for me to slow down. I shook my head and stayed my course. She flipped me off then changed lanes anyway, almost pinning me between her Excursion and a dump truck. Locked up the wheels trying to avoid getting sandwiched - nearly got rear-ended for my troubles. at the next light I pulled up next to her. That's a s close as I ever got to pulling someone out of their car. Shook my head knowing that the law protects her more than it protects me, and just rode on.

• Upvote 1

Newton hates bikers.

That is, when you get ever into a physics competition with a car, you WILL lose. Maybe you'll lose your deductible. Maybe you'll lose your life. But you WILL lose.

Safest riding is as far away from cars as possible. If I'm in a group of cars I'll punch/weave/GTFO out from the middle and get myself set up in an open space. Cars tend to form clumps as slower cars trap faster cars so you'll generally find a nice safe gap between the clumps.

Edited by Scruit

Target fixation was the cause of my very first accident. I can't overemphasize the last two comments enough.

Listen, and understand. Road gravel is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead. Never, ever stop scanning for it.

Target fixation was the cause of my very first accident. I can't overemphasize the last two comments enough.

Listen, and understand. Road gravel is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead. Never, ever stop scanning for it.

Cyberdyne Gravel Systems, huh?

should have taken her plate number and called the cops. that's attempted murder, brotha!

"But officer, I was in my lane and he tried to lane split..."

My word against hers. Everyone else just drove away. Another reason I've got more cameras on my bike than the columbus freeway system.

No matter how weak or strong your horn is, use it often even when it really may not be called for. But always be ready to react just in case. My horn has saved me once or twice and i have been riding only a couple months last year and a month this year........ so far.

Never go fast enough in a corner that you can't turn tighter in response to debris on the road.

Don't tailgate. Just becuase the car in front of you didn't swerve, doens't mean there's no obstruction. Cars can straddle bricks, roadkill, mufflers etc and show no reaction - the first you know about it is when the car in front suddenly appears to sh!t a dead groundhog on the road in front of your tire.

• Upvote 1

Watch for oil slicks at intersections

Always leave yourself an out

Bingo.

Never go fast enough in a corner that you can't turn tighter in response to debris on the road.

aaaand this was the cause of accident number 2. Hit a decreasing radius turn in Newark WAYYY too hot trying to keep up with a group of people I had no business riding with to begin with, the experience gap was way to large. Long story short, I didn't lean enough and put the bike into the guardrail, walked away with not a scratch due to gear.

Watch for oil slicks at intersections

Always leave yourself an out

I think that's one I will need to remember. When you see a car is entering the roadway and you have the right of way to always make sure you plan what you will do if they were to pull out in front of you.

This will probably be different than a car because for one... it will happen more often.. and 2.. in a car you don't have much room to avoid other than slamming on your brakes.

if you do fall, be slow witted and have dull reflexes. that way, by the time you realize you've crashed and tense up and do something stupid mid-slide/flight/tumble, the slide/fall/tumble will be over and you will be mostly unharmed (provided you are wearing suitable gear and you aren't about to hit a guardrail/post/unicorn).

your bike on the other hand... well, that's what insurance is for.

if you get a wild hair up your ass and want to ride fast, get off the street and do track days. then you can enjoy riding quickly on the street, moar safely like.

Stay away from Coshocton group rides till you get seat time.

Stay away from releasing the demons rides till you get even more seat time.

Stay away from Gixer riders in flip flops.

Ride your own pace instead of trying to keep up with the other guy.

Ride with your helmet on your head not your subframe, contrary to that flip floped Gixer riders belief its not a slider.

Given the choice between being Ringo or That Dude.....be Batman, he's not a douche bag.

if you get a wild hair up your ass and want to ride fast, get off the street and do track days. then you can enjoy riding quickly on the street, moar safely like.

and you can also waive the aforementioned gravel advice on a track. knees down for everyone!

Even if you think you're going to blow a turn, look where you want to go, and lean in. 90% of the time, you'll make it.

+1

Took an unsuspecting carousel like turn a little hot and freaked out and looked at where i was going to die. Quickly heard a voice in my head that sounded strangely like Pauly's saying "look through the turn you dumbass" so I did and never even left my lane. That was the day I learned to look through turns even if I couldn't see where the road actually was due to trees or cliff side or whatever obstruction there was