Rider Mistakes and Lessons Learned

abdecal

I can definitely see riding in a group as a problem. I wouldn't want to be left behind and would probably push past my own ability in order to keep up. I went out today for my first long ride. Rode about an hour around town and some country roads. For some reason I can't make the connection in my brain that I have to turn the turn signal off... Used to it turning itself off... :nono:

Leaving it on is just asking for someone to pull out in front of me...

I can definitely see riding in a group as a problem. I wouldn't want to be left behind and would probably push past my own ability in order to keep up. I went out today for my first long ride. Rode about an hour around town and some country roads. For some reason I can't make the connection in my brain that I have to turn the turn signal off... Used to it turning itself off... :nono:

Leaving it on is just asking for someone to pull out in front of me...

As mentioned before don't worry about being the last person in the group. Hell I still am sometimes. Rather have a cautious new rider than picking up the pieces left. Think of riding as a pool. You start off in the kiddy pool then move up to the deep end with experience. Example I went on a ride with Hutch, Midget Todd and UP. All three way above my skill level and will be for a while. I thought that I could keep up but my ego was put in its place quick. They waited for me up ahead as I was the last one. Now I've gotten better and I'm not so far behind as I was when I started riding. Just some food for thought.

As for the turn signals you'll get use to it I forget sometimes to cancel it until I look at my signals then go oops.

If you can't go and take the test and pass it then you shouldn't be on the roads there is nothing that difficult about the test.

Haha I figured. Although they were pretty harsh when I took my regular driving test. In Lebanon I stopped at a stop sign then had to pull up and stop again because I couldn't see around the corner and they deducted points. Easily passed but w/e.

Anyways... back on topic... I had to make a hard stop today at a light and did what (forget who) told me in this thread to do. On both brakes hard but not all the way as to lock them up. Stopped pretty quickly, good advice for a n00b. Good to know that in the "oh shit" moments I still remember what you guys have said. Love the experiences everyone is sharing.

Parking lots are your friend. All these tips, if taken to heart, can and will save your life/bike/self.

I also think it's a good idea to practice low speed maneuvering...like stuff you do in a parking lot. Know how everyone pulls out in front of you in your car when you head down to good ole Wally World? Way worse on a bike.

Also worth mentioning, mostly just because it ticked me off, my friend just got his first bike, a 250 like yours...and on our first ride I just followed him around the neighborhood/backroads. Going around a slow curve he stuck his inside leg out like it was a dirtbike. It's not a dirtbike.

^^^^ Go to a big parking lot or empty backroad and practice your "oh shit" braking moments.

That's what I did, also they have you lock the rear in the State MSF class. It's important for you to know what that feels like, locking the rear is something that's relatively easy to do.

Also, if you ever get a tankslapper (where the bike is wobbling side to side and it feels like you're going to get thrown off like a bull). let off throttle and grab a handful of clutch. Touching brakes is going to send you over the edge, let the bike right itself.

That's what I did, also they have you lock the rear in the State MSF class. It's important for you to know what that feels like, locking the rear is something that's relatively easy to do.

Also, if you ever get a tankslapper (where the bike is wobbling side to side and it feels like you're going to get thrown off like a bull). let off throttle and grab a handful of clutch. Touching brakes is going to send you over the edge, let the bike right itself.

Good advice I didn't even know this

*Don't ride in front a VROD

*When you put your feet down make sure its not in wet leaves

*When moving the bike when not on it, be very aware where the balance point is and best place to hold it by and practice on level ground

*ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure tire pressure is where it needs to be. Its easier to check and be sure before a ride than having to find out the hard way you need air

*In group rides ask a ton of questions if you're noticing things other people are doing. 99% of people here will be happy to oblige and help

*Don't ride in front a VROD

*When you put your feet down make sure its not in wet leaves

*When moving the bike when not on it, be very aware where the balance point is and best place to hold it by and practice on level ground

*ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure tire pressure is where it needs to be. Its easier to check and be sure before a ride than having to find out the hard way you need air

*In group rides ask a ton of questions if you're noticing things other people are doing. 99% of people here will be happy to oblige and help

To expound on the tires thing, don't expect to be able to ride hard right when you leave the garage. The tires need time to get up to temp before they get to maximum grippiness. I'm not saying that it's going to feel like you're riding on ice for the first 15-20 minutes, but try to avoid real aggressive turns until the tires warm up. You should feel a little difference in grip and bike response when the tires are at temp vs. when they aren't.

To expound on the tires thing, don't expect to be able to ride hard right when you leave the garage. The tires need time to get up to temp before they get to maximum grippiness. I'm not saying that it's going to feel like you're riding on ice for the first 15-20 minutes, but try to avoid real aggressive turns until the tires warm up. You should feel a little difference in grip and bike response when the tires are at temp vs. when they aren't.

As well as on new tires, I believe they are supposed to have a break in period of like 300 miles or something to get all the coating off the surface that they use to remove the tire from the mold.

As well as on new tires, I believe they are supposed to have a break in period of like 300 miles or something to get all the coating off the surface that they use to remove the tire from the mold.

Dawn dish soap takes the release agent right off the new tires

Good advice I didn't even know this

It's simple physics, the bike (at speed) WANTS to stay upright. There's a variety of reason why tankslappers happen, but until that front wheel calms down and stops wobbling (the source of the slap), touching brakes (front or rear) is going to cause all kinds of fuckups. If you grab clutch (letting the bike move under it's own momentum) and relax your arms on the bars, the wheel will calm itself down in no time.

Dawn dish soap takes the release agent right off the new tires

I haven't leaned enough to rub it off the whole tire while riding. I will clean off the sides of the tires when I get home. I can definitely tell the release agent is there still.

Park it near the lane in a parking lot. I had a car almost run me and my bike over because they didn't see me and assumed the parking spot was empty. Park in first, and turn your bars left. It makes it a little more stable.

In the left lane of the highway, stay on the right track. It puts you in mirrors better as you pass people. Right lane, left track.

Stay out of semi wake. its a scary place.

Stay to the inside of circular ramps. Shit flies off trucks all the time.

As stated, wet leaves are like oil. Also tar strips can get you a little squirmy. I almost lost it making a left turn at an intersection, because I didn't expect the tar to give as much a it did. I also wave back and forth when nearing intersections. The left turners are blind sometimes. And downshift so people hear you better.

As a newb, it takes time to build core muscles. Do it though. It hurts much worse when you cant write because your wrists are so sore.

The best and probably too simple to appreciate is simply enjoy riding. Yes, always try to be safe, but if you aren't having fun, don't do it.

Which reminds me, check your emotions before you ride. Angry is exhilarating. Until you're coming up to a red light at 100, trying to honk and stop and not flip over the end or low side. Ride happy, not angry.

• Upvote 1