Tire Cuping

Jst2fst

I have a 180 rear Contimotion with around 3200 miles if that. My tire is not rounded its got a high spot in the center. I'll post pics when I'm not on my phone how can I fix this if I can thanks.

Edit here's the picture:

Before 23.1 psi

photobucket-4100-1333853201682.jpg

After 42 psi

photobucket-5127-1333903612404.jpg

Not sure if you can notice the difference but the rear feels a bit more firm.

Edited by Jst2fst

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of tire pressure you run? And what riding style?

I wanna say the pressure is between 36-42 and riding style so far mainly commuting highway and some backroad riding on the weekends. I'll have to check the pressure in the morning to be exact. Also to add the 2ct I had on it before did not look like this.

Edited by Jst2fst

The only FIX is gonna be replacement, but I have zero experience with Conti's so cant say much about their quality - I'd say you may be running the pressure too low and not cornering as much as you're straightlining?

my old tires did this, i think. if so, it's low pressure and high temps i believe. the rubber flexes so that the edges of tread blocks wear more than the rest. seems like it's worsened because of the flat spot being right on the edges of the sipes...

but i'm just pulling crap out of my ass. :D

I mean I dot notice any problem with it other than the look of the tire. I lean fairly far in corners when I bought the tire new it had a high spot on it not sure if that's how they are first Conti I've bought. Not sure if the amount of chicken strips helps but I've got less than a inch on both sides not used up.

They have plenty of tread so nothing dangerous, just gonna flop into corners.

Run the shit outta them and then get some fresh ones before the trip.

To be honest the only cocern I hve really is the front close to 8,000 miles michelin 2ct need to find a decent used one till time for new tire. Yes the rear has plenty left next meet and greet if you're there you'll see what I'm talking about on the tire.

Then Id just get a new set now. Get the Michelin Pilot Road 2's and you wont need to be concerned with them being cooked by June. I have 2k miles on mine already and they look like new.

Yea, I know I should I'm just gonna have to take it easy till I can get other things straight first.

Honestly, I don't like Continental tires. I have had all the major brands of tires on my bikes (Dunlop, Michelin , Bridgestone, Conti) only the only one I can say that I didn't like were the Continentals (didn't even try the Shinko though, sold it immediately). With that said, cupping is a result of something with the bike usually, not just the tire. Can you see your wheel weights still on?

It's all about PSI and suspension setup. The cupping is from air pressure. Has nothing to do with the leaning in on turns, etc. You are loading the tire on acceleration and weight of rider. These tires may react differently than your Michelins did and should have been adjusted accordingly.

You have some serious wear going on. I think the suspension is probably also lacking preload and reb/comp. I don't think you are riding the tire hard by the wear on the edges so, I am not sure you can save that one at this stage. You might, but it looks to be a lesson rather than a save and continue.

I'd mess with air pressure to see if you can prevent it from getting worse. That way, if you do go back to that brand, you can have notes for it and allow it to last longer. The way that thing is cupping, you GOTTA feel it in transition and in the corners...

Honestly, I don't like Continental tires. I have had all the major brands of tires on my bikes (Dunlop, Michelin , Bridgestone, Conti) only the only one I can say that I didn't like were the Continentals (didn't even try the Shinko though, sold it immediately). With that said, cupping is a result of something with the bike usually, not just the tire. Can you see your wheel weights still on?

Yea, the weights are still on the wheels.

It's all about PSI and suspension setup. The cupping is from air pressure. Has nothing to do with the leaning in on turns, etc. You are loading the tire on acceleration and weight of rider. These tires may react differently than your Michelins did and should have been adjusted accordingly.

You have some serious wear going on. I think the suspension is probably also lacking preload and reb/comp. I don't think you are riding the tire hard by the wear on the edges so, I am not sure you can save that one at this stage. You might, but it looks to be a lesson rather than a save and continue.

I'd mess with air pressure to see if you can prevent it from getting worse. That way, if you do go back to that brand, you can have notes for it and allow it to last longer. The way that thing is cupping, you GOTTA feel it in transition and in the corners...

I'm gonn look into the tire pressure here in a few and see what its at. Not sure how well you can see it but the ridge is not much look like it can be brought down to make it rounded. I guess I'm just gonna have to run dual compound tires the contimotion is only a mono compound.

do a nice big ol burnout to level it out:D

I had actually thought out doing this not sure if it work though. Like I said to KTM the cotimotion is a mono compound.

Thannks guys for. The input I'll post up the pressure in a few annd what I decided to do with it.

how to fix:

step 1 - order pilot road 2's

step 2 - have hoblick mount

step 3 - ride with a confidence you've never had before

I'm working on it

This sounds likely, along with a lot of straightline highway riding.

My commute last year went from five minutes to twenty on the highway