How do open track days work

GotBoost2JZ

I've read what is required of the bike and the necessary gear but how does the actual track riding work? I've never raced a bike. Do you have to line up in a grid and race from the start or are there open track days where you can just go out on your own and go at your own pace?

I love riding down in the hills and feel that doing a track day is necessary at some point to have a some fun and improve my riding skills som. I won't lie though, the idea of lining up with a bunch of veterans and going at it makes me a little nervous. Cars are one thing. I've been on a track in a car several times. And I dont care if I'm slow my first time. I just don't want to get in other people's way and jack up their lines.

Sorry for the extremely noob-like question. Just trying to figure this all out.

Take a couple novice days to start. It will very depending on how quickly you pick up things. Then when you're ready the instructors can let you know when to move up to I/O group. From there you'll be on your own, but staff members will always be there to help you no matter what group you'll be riding in.

Then we all go into Craigs trailer and shut the doors, it only hurts for a second. Or any trailer really will do, sometimes we use Brandons and include Jinu's dog Gatsby, he likes peanut butter.

This is why I roll in Kev's open trailer. The gheyz won't get me there.

Seriously though, there's really no reason to be intimidated, although I know how you feel. I did my first track day last year after riding way too hard on the street for a few years, and it was the best thing I could've done. Sign up for novice/instructional, and they'll teach you everything you need to know about the track from bike prep to the proper lines. Pace will be nice and easy at first and then ramp up to as fast as you're comfortable with. No gridding/race starts at a trackday, you'll just roll out onto the track with your instructor. With three different groups based on skill level, you won't have to be out there with the crazy fast guys. Seriously, it is well worth the money and you'll probably progress more in one day than you can in a year on the street.

However, you will get addicted and probably end up spending all your money on track time and the things that come along with it. :D (I now have a full race season planned this year and a full on track bike, well worth it though)

I highly recommend Motoseries, the instructors are great and it has a really laid back, family feel to it. Pretty much anyone out there will be willing to help you out with whatever you need. It will be hard to avoid the gheys that heavily populate Motoseries, however. Just keep your cheeks clenched and don't let them lure you into any of their trailers and you'll be fine! :wtf:

Hit me up if you have any questions.

Edited by Hollywood33
  • Upvote 1

i too wish to do at least one track day just to know what it feels like ..... and of course for a video

but the part of bike prepping and hauling your bike to the race scares me away, both of which i dont/cant know/do at this time

oh and 100% people who talked about track here said "just the tip promise " but in the end getting full on blasted away and addicted for life. i am talking about the racing part of course not the trailers :D

i too wish to do at least one track day just to know what it feels like ..... and of course for a video

but the part of bike prepping and hauling your bike to the race scares me away, both of which i dont/cant know/do at this time

oh and 100% people who talked about track here said "just the tip promise " but in the end getting full on blasted away and addicted for life. i am talking about the racing part of course not the trailers :D

I promise bike prep will take less than 20minutes, and someone can help you get your bike there. It's is an experience that is not to be missed. Even better if you get lucky with the weather.

I promise bike prep will take less than 20minutes, and someone can help you get your bike there. It's is an experience that is not to be missed. Even better if you get lucky with the weather.

jbot speaks the truth. I used to wonder about the prep work until after I did it for the first time. Then I wondered why I wondered so hard about it. Motoseries novice class is fantastic. There is that minute percentage of it that humbles you, especially when you see a dude that could be your nearest mall's Santa Claus smokecheck you on an SM, but that same dude breaks down the nuances of riding into digestible servings that make you faster and better. The CRs are guys who started the same place you did, so you're not dealing with egomaniacs (except Craig - he's a cock, but he's funny and will let you be the big spoon once the trailer door closes (allegedly)) You can get as much or as little instruction as you want, and there's ample opportunity to practice what you have just been taught. And yes, if the sun is shining, its even better!

Noted. Invest in personal trailer if I wish to do track days. That's the biggest thing I've taken away from here

while these guys are kidding (but not really) about the trailer, you really don't need to get your own trailer. Plenty of people on the board from all over the state go to trackdays and many of them would be more than willing to trailer your bike if you chip in a few for gas.

i think that's one of the things that scares away most first timers is the perception of a large up front cost when really it's very minimal until you really get into it.

By that point, you can justify the costs by not eating, using minimal electricity and walking to work to pay for tires and tracktime ;)

^I'm kidding, don't do this.

I do trackdays and race on the cheap.

It's still expensive, but not as expensive as people make it sound.

My first track bike was a 1993 Honda F2 that was someone's old race bike. It had everything you could ever want on it but a steering damper. Cost me $1450. Other people spend $6k-$15k track prepping their bikes... The bike ain't what makes you fast. That F2 was a great way to learn. My 600RR still only cost me $3300 a few years back. I believe it came with a second set of rims that I later sold as well... It's nearly 10 years old now, and I know I will beat people on much newer and more expensive bikes. If you're really serious about riding a lot, sell your "nice" bike and buy something that's reliable, but cheaper. Use the excess funds to hit the track. Owning a "nice" bike is less fun than riding a less-nice bike, IMHO.

Up until this point (I'm comfortable in any org's "Advanced" group, and finish in the top 1/3 in a WERA Novice grid) I have always run street tires (Pilot powers, or Q2's) $240/set rather than $350+ per set. Again, I also never ran warmers ($160-$400) or owned a generator ($100-$900).

Even now that I'm running race tires and warmers, my warmers cost me $185 for used woodcrafts, and I spent $275 on an inexpensive generator.

My open trailer probably cost me about $450 to set up, including the trailer itself, pit-bull trailer restraint system, and all the wood decking and rails. This is a far cry from spending $1300-$2500 on an enclosed trailer.

I 'camp' in the back of my tow vehicle, and eat $5 foot-longs, or bring my camp grill and a pack of frozen hotdogs.

my first set of leathers cost me around $150 on ebay. My current set was $650 used. (i'd consider that a splurge, although safety gear is never a bad investment)

I run less expensive helmets, because a lot of what you pay for in the Arai and Shoei models are comfort features that I just don't need in a sprint race... For street riding or endurance, I might change my mind, but Scorpion EX700's and the Bell Vortex have served me well for around $100 each.

Cortech gloves are the shit. I haven't crashed them yet, but Pegram ran the same set i'm wearing in the AMA in 2010. They set me back $65 on clearance.

So yes, track riding is expensive, but you don't have to go "all-in" and get the best of everything. Buy good safety gear, and then skimp on the less important stuff.

I'm probably riding almost exclusively with MotoSeries this season. Their fees are reasonable, there's no membership, and if you go racing, you get a STEEP discount on the saturday track days.

Plus the fact that 8/10 rounds are within 100 miles of my house means that my fuel costs are practically non-existent. (did I mention my bike is mapped for 87 octane?)

Just get out and do it once. You'll find ways to pay for more if you want it badly enough. I cleaned toilets and emptied garbage cans at a pre-school for 2 years to accommodate track plans. Next week I am interviewing for a job that might require me to wipe handicapped adults' asses.

...but it will cover my whole race season.

Newbie setup (much of which you should have):

Uhaul trailer - $24 a day

Uhaul hitch - $200

Eze-up tent - $60

Tie downs - $20

Chair - $30

Leathers - $500

Gloves - $125

Boots - $125

Helmet - $300

Back protector - $150

painters tape - $10

Advil

Cooler

gas can

Novice bike prep = tape lights and remove mirrors (if you can). Change out antifreeze for some WaterWetter or other. Your done. 2-piece leathers with 360 zip will work for most orgs.

Int - now you start needing the 1-piece and no antifreeze. Org rules vary with some requiring some wiring of parts.

:bow: Advanced - worry about that if an ever I make it.

while these guys are kidding (but not really) about the trailer, you really don't need to get your own trailer. Plenty of people on the board from all over the state go to trackdays and many of them would be more than willing to trailer your bike if you chip in a few for gas.

I know, I was only kidding so I don't have to use everyone elses "trailer" lol.

I have a truck. I lugged my bike around in the bed several times when going on vacations or simply when I first picked my bike up out of state.

I don't assume the cost would be all that bad really. Like I said, I do car racing so I have a general idea of costs.

Thanks everyone for chimming in btw. I feel a lot more comfortable about giving the track a try now.

Have empty spot on trailer if someone gets desperate, and room for at least a couple of extra people under my canopy pretty much at all times.

I also bring 3 chairs to every event, and usually roll solo.

My first trackday I showed up with no canopy, no suntan lotion, and I don't think I had a chair. I know for sure that I didn't bring a plastic knife to spread the PB&J I had brought to feed myself all weekend.

I offered my pit-neighbors a couple beers in exchange for some plastic utensils, and 5 years later, I still regularly ride and talk with 2 of those guys.

They provided shade, seating, advice, and homemade salsa. This is beyond common (okay, maybe not the homemade salsa part).

Don't show up every weekend expecting to mooch off others, but if you're just getting started, people will almost always help you out. You can pay it forward some other time.

I don't live far at all from Mid Ohio. I was really just planning to do one day my first time. Get there in the morning, ride some, then pack up and head home.

If I like it enough then maybe I'll venture out and do weekend events further away from central Ohio.

I'm pretty excited about this now actually. It really sounds like the scene is quite accommodating and there are a lot of good people involved.

I don't live far at all from Mid Ohio. I was really just planning to do one day my first time. Get there in the morning, ride some, then pack up and head home.

If I like it enough then maybe I'll venture out and do weekend events further away from central Ohio.

I'm pretty excited about this now actually. It really sounds like the scene is quite accommodating and there are a lot of good people involved.

Yes, speaking from experience from myself, as someone that was in the car scene and racing before getting into motorcycles, the motorcycle race group is much more welcoming. They are more laid back and willing to help, where I always felt the car scene was filled with drama and stuck up pricks most of the time.

Have empty spot on trailer if someone gets desperate, and room for at least a couple of extra people under my canopy pretty much at all times.

I also bring 3 chairs to every event, and usually roll solo.

My first trackday I showed up with no canopy, no suntan lotion, and I don't think I had a chair. I know for sure that I didn't bring a plastic knife to spread the PB&J I had brought to feed myself all weekend.

I offered my pit-neighbors a couple beers in exchange for some plastic utensils, and 5 years later, I still regularly ride and talk with 2 of those guys.

They provided shade, seating, advice, and homemade salsa. This is beyond common (okay, maybe not the homemade salsa part).

Don't show up every weekend expecting to mooch off others, but if you're just getting started, people will almost always help you out. You can pay it forward some other time.

Redkow speaks the truth. I remember my first trackday. I showed up with my bike, safety gear and a U-haul trailer. He and my other "neighbors" helped me out and I still talk to them. Great friends to have!

Hi and welcome to the world of track days. Just be prepared, its like Lays potato chips. Bet you can't have just one. Or Pringles, once you pop you can't stop.

Of course I'm talking about your trailer initiation but the track riding part is fun too!