Tongue weight question/trailer weight question

ama146

I have this trailer http://www.tractorsupply.com/carry-on-trailer-reg-5-ft-x-8-ft-wood-floor-trailer-2-000-lb-capacity-1012438#product_tabs

I have the chocks mounted maybe 6-8 inches away from the front of the trailer and I haul 2 bikes with them like that. I am using a Kia Sorento which is not at all made to tow anything. This past trackday I noticed it was sagging more than usual and the trailer was actually at a downward angle at the tongue.

So I figured I have way too much tongue weight. My question is what is the best way to get the proper tongue weight? I want to keep as much weight off my car as possible since it isn't made for towing. I did the math and I am hauling a total of around 950lbs. WITHOUT the trailer weight included. TSC doesn't have the trailer weight on the website, so does anyone happen to know how much the trailer actually weighs? If so, anyone have any ideas on proper tongue weight for my setup?

Thanks for any help

I am curious on this as well. I just put the bike on the trailer and lifted the tongue to see if it felt heavy to me. Felt like maybe 70-100lbs of down force but that is just my guesstimate. My hitch says no more than 200lbs tongue weight, 1200lbs towing weight I think but how do you know if it is too heavy?

From the looks of that trailer and where the axle is, I would say that will be a lot of weight for a kia to pull. Most of the weight is going to be on the tongue due to the axle being so far back. Mine on the other hand is closer to the middle and I may have a foot of wiggle room to get the center of gravity closer to the axle if I need to.

Edited by JStump

I have this trailer http://www.tractorsupply.com/carry-on-trailer-reg-5-ft-x-8-ft-wood-floor-trailer-2-000-lb-capacity-1012438#product_tabs

I have the chocks mounted maybe 6-8 inches away from the front of the trailer and I haul 2 bikes with them like that. I am using a Kia Sorento which is not at all made to tow anything. This past trackday I noticed it was sagging more than usual and the trailer was actually at a downward angle at the tongue.

So I figured I have way too much tongue weight. My question is what is the best way to get the proper tongue weight? I want to keep as much weight off my car as possible since it isn't made for towing. I did the math and I am hauling a total of around 950lbs. WITHOUT the trailer weight included. TSC doesn't have the trailer weight on the website, so does anyone happen to know how much the trailer actually weighs? If so, anyone have any ideas on proper tongue weight for my setup?

Thanks for any help

Does your Kia have the v6 or 4 cyl. engine in it? If it's the V6, you should be good for pulling up to 3500 lbs., the 4cyl. is rated to pull 1650lbs. If you can lift up the tongue of your trailer, you should be fine on tongue weight for the Kia. I can't imagine its much more than 200lbs. If the trailer tongue is at a downward angle, you may need a different draw-bar for your hitch to bring it up level.

Yeah I didn't think about that when I mounted the chocks. I think if I center the bikes on the trailer axle, the weight should be pretty close to perfectly distributed. I am reading online that the weight should be distributed 60% front to 40% rear.

My wildcard that is going to make things difficult though is that I have a 120lbs. generator that I need to fit on the trailer and can throw off the weight distribution... I am thinking maybe move the bikes back pretty far, maybe 6" away from the tailgate and then put the generator in the front of the trailer...

I just can't seem to think of any easy way to experiment with the weight and mounting without drilling a ton of holes in my trailer for mount the chocks, etc.

EDIT: It is the 4 cylinder Kia. I also have a 1-1.5" rise drawbar as well. But the Kia is sagging more than I like in the rear. That is why I want to move everything back, take some tongue weight off to help balance it a bit. I am just trying to figure out the right way of figuring out how far I can move it all back without having it sway on me.

Edited by ama146

what year sorrento? The engine options changed considerably when they updated the sportage and sorrento. But the brakes are the limiting factor either way.

That trailer probably weighs a solid 500 lbs with decking and the rails. I generally estimate my HF folding trailer is 300 with the decking...

But as others have said, If you can pick up the trailer and walk it around by the tongue, you're probably well under that 200 lbs. limit.

I have pulled 2 bikes with the kia 2.7 v6. They claim the towing capacity with the I-4 is 1,000 lbs, and with the v6, it's 2,000, but only if you have trailer brakes. sure. I'm going to put brakes on a 2,000 lbs. trailer...

Anyway, 2 bikes placed over the trailer axle should be fine. I would just get a buddy or two to sit on the bikes with teh brake on and have them move forward and backward to see where you get ~100 lbs. of tongue pressure.

Hell, if you chock the trailer wheels and put the tongue on a jack-stand, and sit the jack-stand on top of a bathroom scale, you can probably do it yourself. Just remember that chocking the wheels part, and have a second jack-stand under the BACK rail of the trailer in case you shift the weight too far back and start to rotate the trailer up around the wheels.

I may do this now... just do see how my weight is distributed.

But 200 lbs. on the tongue is probably a conservative "limit" anyway. If you get 2 fat friends in the back seat and a couple of kegs in the hatch, that can't be any less stressful than having more than 200 lbs. on the hitch, leverage or not!

But 200 lbs. on the tongue is probably a conservative "limit" anyway. If you get 2 fat friends in the back seat and a couple of kegs in the hatch, that can't be any less stressful than having more than 200 lbs. on the hitch, leverage or not!

Good point, I could really feel the weight of the trailer driving home after I picked it up from HF in boxes. But with it assembled and the bike on it I could barely feel it when I was towing. The big thing I am concerned about is warping the rotors from the extra weight pushing the car when stopping. I tend to use the engine to do about half the braking though, is this still ok to do when towing a trailer? I don't want to roast my clutch.

Alright thanks guys. I am going to mess around with this for sure this weekend. So the general rule is with everything loaded, I should have no more than 200lbs on the tongue? I can use a scale as well for this to help...

Standard rule of thumb for single-axle trailers is that you should have approx 10-15% of the total weight on the tongue. So, according to the numbers you and IPapa have posted, your tongue weight should measure between 145-220#. I'd shade that to the light side based on your observations. Be aware that too light in the tongue can result in self-induced sway under certain conditions (cross-wind, braking, cornering). Your proposal of loading the front and rear of the trailer isn't a great solution, either. Result is larger rotational mass around the pivot (axle). Place the heaviest items (bikes, generator) nearest the center of the trailer/close to the axle and load the front/rear with lighter items.

Good point. With the axle on the trailer pushed so far back, I feel I can put the bikes all the way to the back of the trailer and they will be pretty close to centered over the axle. I would then put the generator in the front of the trailer to add to any lacking tongue weight.

Also, it is a 2010 Kia Sorento if that changed anything.

Edited by ama146

Also, it is a 2010 Kia Sorento if that changed anything.

it does. if you have the 4 cylinder, the published limit is indeed the 1650 someone else posted.

If it's the V6, you can TOW 3500, but you still can't stop more than 1650...

But like Pauly said, just leave yourself a lot of extra room.

If you've got too much of a rearward weight bias, the first sign i have noticed is more noise from the hitch pulling UPward on the ball under normal (small) bumps.

And empty trailer is loud. A loaded trailer should be pretty quiet. The generator will severely sway the weight distribution though. I would try to keep the generator right over the axle (or inside the tow vehicle) if possible, and then use something lighter (5 gallon gas can seems about right) to redistribute weight on the trailer. Remember, the further you are from the wheels, the more the mass multiplies as it relates to force on the tongue.

lever/fulcrum effect.

Yep it is the 4 cylinder. I guess all I can do now is just mess around with it this weekend and see what I can do. The problem with the generator is that it is too big to fit between the bikes in the middle of the trailer. So it either has to go to the front of the back of the bikes. And there is no way I can fit it in the back of the car haha.

Yikes. 4 cylinder with 2 bikes is ambitious. But then again, your Kia has a 2.4 I-4, and mine has a 2.7 V6. Without even doing the math, it's clear that your enginge has larger cylinders, and quite possibly more torque.

But I would keep as much additional weight off that trailer as possible. I always estimate 500 lbs. per bike, and your trailer is probably closer to 500 as well. You're within 150 lbs of your tow limit WITHOUT the generator...

Well my bike is 417lbs. wet and my buddies can't be much more. So that's 150lbs. right there we got back. But we did towed like this already 4-5 times. 2 of which were to Grattan. It doesn't have the easiest time stopping but I always give myself alot of room to stop.

• 2 weeks later...