1st BAD Open Carry experience

crb

I said I don't know the law, but that's how I transport it. I hope no one calls the cops on me :rolleyes:

The magazine and the gun are separate and out of reach from everyone and eachother, but I also don't give the cops a reason to search my car and even if they did I'm sure they would not rummage through my full duffle bag and lift up the carpet in my trunk and look all the way behind and under the spare tire :lol:

Even if the permit holder is in the car?

The permit holder should have his gun on his person IMHO, or stored away with the magazines empty and ammo separated. They are responsible for securing that weapon, first and foremost. And don't ever put anything past what police may or may not do, that is a huge mistake and assumption. No matter what the officer "must in Ohio" be informed that a CHL holder is in the car with or without a weapon. Oh....and if you are a CHL with a weapon in a car, you had better make damn sure whomever is with you doesn't have certain felonies or you are FUCKED!!!!!

Edited by Pokey

when cars are searched, yes your bags and the spare tire well gets searched too. Anywhere and everywhere that is reasonable. all you need is the buddy that has some weed on him you don't know about to get your car searched.

I know how car searches work, but for my friends that do smoke weed I make them empty their pockets, I refuse to let that shit in my car. They CAN impound your car over that shit and the driver CAN get in trouble, fuck that, not worth the risk. Now sure they can hide it, but if a friend is willing to out me at risk knowing how I feel then he is no friend of mine. I USED to smoke, but I grew up and have a family to think about now, no need to do illegal shit to put my family in jeopardy.

The permit holder should have his gun on his person IMHO, or stored away with the magazines empty and ammo separated. They are responsible for securing that weapon, first and foremost. And don't ever put anything past what police may or may not do, that is a huge mistake and assumption. No matter what the officer "must in Ohio" be informed that a CHL holder is in the car with or without a weapon.

ORC 2923.126

If a licensee is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as the result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose and if the licensee is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle at that time, the licensee shall promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the licensee has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the licensee currently possesses or has a loaded handgun

Nothing about having to notify if they are not armed. That being said chances are good that they will know if the registered owner has a CHL when they run your tag. It would benefit you to state that you have a CHL and are not currently carrying a loaded weapon. Some officers believe that a permit holder is required to notify armed or not. (a LEO can't know every law and mistakes happen) Notifying even if your not armed would probably be a good idea.

I know how car searches work, but for my friends that do smoke weed I make them empty their pockets, I refuse to let that shit in my car. They CAN impound your car over that shit and the driver CAN get in trouble, fuck that, not worth the risk. Now sure they can hide it, but if a friend is willing to out me at risk knowing how I feel then he is no friend of mine. I USED to smoke, but I grew up and have a family to think about now, no need to do illegal shit to put my family in jeopardy.

If you know how they work why would you doubt they would search the spare tire well????? And he may not be a good friend but that's after the fact and now your in trouble for transporting a loaded gun without a permit. Genius.

Edited by chevysoldier

Notifying even if your not armed would probably be a good idea.

The more info you give them up front, the less they have to drag out of you. The more info they have to drag out of you, the more likely they are to be upset, and give you a citation for something!

Sorry you didn't quote my pm, so I can't posted it word for word.

I basically said that if you kicked me our out of your business for open carrying without posting a sign I would run an ad in the local newspaper, especially if it was a small business that did so.

You have a right to set the rules on your property, that I will give you. You have a responsibility in my opinion to communicate said rules.

Do you have a sign that reads not responsible for damage, accidents, or injuries? Most car washes have a similar sign.

So you want to be anti open carry, but don't want to appear anti open carry. How interesting.

I wish I knew where your car wash was, so I could visit your establishment! No sign means I can carry until asked to leave.

Sure glad I don't work for you!

here you go:

I assure you if I was kicked out of a small business while open carrying, simply because I was open carrying while no sign was posted. I would run an ad in the local newspaper about the incident. I still don't get how you can expect people to know what your rules are if they aren't posted. Your comment about the chainsaw doesn't apply because you don't have a constitutional right to carry a running chainsaw.

I guess some people have no respect for other people including their customers.

crb

As a business owner, I am exercising my legal right to remove anyone that I choose from my property. I have a feeling that you would get tossed out pretty quickly.

I'll let you know when I want your opinion on how to run a business.

In the mean time you are more than welcome to keep your mouth shut.

You have one hell of an attitude! Amazing you can keep a business! LOL

Dude' date=' seriously... what's your bag? You're kind of freaking out over nothing, don't you think? Since when is your 2nd Amendment right more important that Tpoppa's private property rights?[/quote']

It's not never said it was. He has drawn a firm line in the sand and said he would ask anyone open carrying to leave. He has that right, yet he doesn't want to post a sign to communicate that rule. That's my problem.

Oh and not freaking out just stating my opinion just as he and others have done in this thread.

Edited by crb

I make my buddies put their shit under my spare tire and their clip in my duffle bag. They always bitch about it, so we usually end up taking their car (and I end up saving on gas money :lol: )

You're an asshole. I'd make you walk before I let you ride in my vehicle after you threw me out of yours.

I don't know all the laws and I don't have a permit

And yet you always have something to input about the laws you don't know and situations you haven't experienced.

I guess...

...but' date=' I don't have a sign on my garage that says, "No EBT Accepted". Doesn't change the fact that I don't want welfare queens on my lawn. :dunno:[/quote']

Is your lawn a business that individuals frequent?

Sorry you didn't quote my pm, so I can't posted it word for word.

I basically said that if you kicked me our out of your business for open carrying without posting a sign I would run an ad in the local newspaper, especially if it was a small business that did so.

You have a right to set the rules on your property, that I will give you. You have a responsibility in my opinion to communicate said rules.

Do you have a sign that reads not responsible for damage, accidents, or injuries? Most car washes have a similar sign.

So you want to be anti open carry, but don't want to appear anti open carry. How interesting.

I wish I knew where your car wash was, so I could visit your establishment! No sign means I can carry until asked to leave.

Sure glad I don't work for you!

I agree with the idea here. The business owner has the ability to make whatever rules he wants, but he has to convey them to the customers. And not only when they violate rules they didn't know.

However, if I see a no firearms sign (Even if only for OC), I do not support that business, and I encourage my friends to do the same. I've annoyed groups before because we pick a place to eat, I see the sign, and we have to change venues.

It's not never said it was. He has drawn a firm line in the sand and said he would ask anyone open carrying to leave. He has that right, yet he doesn't want to post a sign to communicate that rule. That's my problem.

1 more time for the slow guy.

I said I would ask them to put it away, or leave. That is 100% within my rights and discretion as a property owner.

I also said, I have tossed people out for various reasons over the years. In EVERY case they have left quietly and without issue. None have threatened to call the newspaper or throw a hissy fit lilke a 12 year old girl...like you apparently want to do.

I also said that in 4 years and many thousands of customers (not going to post actual numbers here), no one has ever tried to OC on my property. It has not been as issue. I have no reason to post a sign for OC, chainsaws, meteors, honest politicians, etc

Edited by Tpoppa

Oh and not freaking out just stating my opinion just as he and others have done in this thread.

Because signs are always read, and followed... :rolleyes:

So, if he posts a sign, everyone will follow it. Just like criminal follow CPZ signs, and no carry signs? How about speed limit signs? EVERYONE follows those... :nono:

If I were to ever OC I don't think I would have an issue of any sort if someone like Tpoppa asked me to conceal my firearm while on their property.