Title Questions on an abandoned Ninja

alleycat1975

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong forum.. i'm new :o

Ok situation:

Friend of my guy flips foreclosed houses. In one particular home there was a Ninja 900. Dude contacts the previous owners that have no clue who it belongs to. This has been about 5 years ago and dude has had it in his possession ever since. He's an up and up kind of guy and said he's done some research but never got anything solid. So he offered the bike to my guy and I.

I haven't seen the thing yet and don't have vin details yet, and we do know it has no key so don't even know if it runs. But I want to do the right thing first which includes making sure its not stolen etc. So once I go through all of that and we find out everything is straight, I need to get the correct protocol for obtaining the title.

I know i have to contact the title agency and give them the vin number, then contact the BMV with the details as to how this thing came into my possession and they will send me info back in the form of a letter in which i have to take this to the court of common pleas for the judge to review. But I have to type all of the documents myself from creating the complaint to creating the actual entry that the judge will sign off on.

Have any of you gone through this process already and be willing to share a sample of your complaint and entry so i know I'm doing this correctly? or have a place online or otherwise I can find samples?

Obviously, the first step is making sure everything is kosher first, if it was stolen i definitely want to see it returned or attempt to contact the title holder etc... shoot, it could be someone hid it from repo guys even.. I don't understand how the homeowners don't know why it was at their house LOL..

Anyway. comments, suggestions?

900 ninjas are abandoned for a reason. Not worth the time.

LOL.. you're probably right.. but i just got my license like last weekend so if I'm going to crash one.. let it be this one and not one I put a lot of money into..

Learned on a 250.. need something bigger.. obviously if it costs a small fortune to get it running then no, not worth the effort. If it runs or only needs minor fix then its worth it to pay the 500 ish bucks (150 for new key 180 for court cost for title)

Learned on a 250.. need something bigger.. obviously if it costs a small fortune to get it running then no, not worth the effort. If it runs or only needs minor fix then its worth it to pay the 500 ish bucks (150 for new key 180 for court cost for title)

Then I suggest 500 ninja. You will have more than 500 wrapped up in getting an abandoned bike that has sat for better than 5 years running not to mention trying to get it titled.

Thanks MT.. if i go buy, I'd just as soon not get a Ninja lol.. this is just a circumstance of convenience and someone else is doing all of the work-- i just get to do the paperwork end. And CN you're probably correct in that it's possibly a hot mess. Guess we'll find out.

Cheapest way is to just get Vermont plates. 42 bucks, just mail in the paperwork and get plates and registration within 2 weeks. I did that with my cb200 that didn't have a title. You can transfer that registration to ohio and get a title. Vermont doesn't title anything older than 15 years old, and they don't care if you even live in vermont or not. My Vermont registration has my Indiana address listed on it.

http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/pdf/DMV-VD119-Vehicle_Reg_Tax_Title_App.pdf

This is the form you need to fill out. Don't listen to all the naysayers. My 200 was free (abandoned), I put about 150 bucks in it, not including the VT registration, and i just got back from a 2500 mile trip on it.

2000 is the year so i'm told. I think the plan is to see if there is any spark and go from there. I can guarantee we won't spend too much on it if its worth more for parts. It would just be "nice" to have a title.