Verizon to Scrap Unlimited Data

Cdubyah

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Verizon Wireless is planning to force customers to give up their unlimited data plans when they move to its high-speed wireless service, a top executive for parent company Verizon Communications Inc said on Wednesday

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/verizon-sees-revenue-increase-shared-plans-190235445--finance.html

Verizon is about to pork their loyal customers.:nono::nono:

Perhaps they should contact netflix and see how well that worked out for them.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm staying with my current device and have no plans to ever change...so my unlimited data plan is safe!

^^This^^ I have been with Verizon since '04. I do not intend to ever get a iphone or droid based smart phone that requires a data plan. I have unlimited text/data right now and for 4 phones my bill is $130/month. If I were to upgrade it would be $30 more /smart phone /month.

I'm staying with my current device and have no plans to ever change...so my unlimited data plan is safe!

I dunno if that's the case or not... :dunno:

Not that it matters anyway, once you reach their "limit" they will just throttle you so bad as to make your device nearly unuseable anyway.

Maybe. Or, when your existing contract is up you will get a notice letting you know what your new data plan is. Or if you are not on a contract now you will get a 30 day notice this summer with everyone else.

Our unlimited data is gone.

If you read the terms of service (I did, this morning), Verizon reserves the right to change any terms of service (e.g. # talk minutes, data co$t, et al) at any time.

You cannot currently upgrade your phone (at least to a 4G) online at VerizonWireless.com and keep your unlimited data plan - it forces you to chose one of the tiered plans.

However, Amazon Wireless allows to upgrade your phone (to a 4G phone) and keep unlimited data - it's one of the choices when you choose a plan. Still doesn't matter, as they're allowed by the contract you sign to change whatever they want to change, whenever they want to change it.

...as they're allowed by the contract you sign to change whatever they want to change, whenever they want to change it.

Yes, but when they do make that change if it is a significant change you can bail on your contract with no penalty.

So then how does this work if your grandfathered in like we are. I just buy a new phone been doing it now for a few years and has not changed my phones data. We've got unlimited everything but mines only a 3G dont really care it does what I need it to do.

So then how does this work if your grandfathered in like we are. I just buy a new phone been doing it now for a few years and has not changed my phones data. We've got unlimited everything but mines only a 3G dont really care it does what I need it to do.

you're not grandfathered in, as soon as you upgrade, they make you pick a tiered plan.

Just checked Verizon again (last check was 3 weeks ago and unlimited was NOT an option), looks like unlimited IS an option again, at least for me as a "grandfathered" customer.

Hmmm.

If they do change the rates, I have 60 days to tell 'em the change has "a material adverse effect" on me and I <should> be good to go. Allegedly.

I was do for a upgrade on a new phone back in November. Even if I chose a phone that did not include a data plan they would not let me upgrade without changing to one of their tier plans. I decided to just purchase phones on fleabay or clist from then on. I don't believe I am in contract now because my previous 2 year contract has expired. Do you think this will cause my plan/bill to change?

you're not grandfathered in, as soon as you upgrade, they make you pick a tiered plan.

I got no intentions icon upgrading while my line is up for one next month. Like I said and we were told from Verizion that we could just buy phones how we chose to and we'd be good and still have our unlimited data. I posted a thread a while back on Verision being a douche or me see if I can find it.

I know I'm opening a can of worms but...Sprint has unlimited data and have never throttled my service back either.

yeah niether does cricket. I have cricket and get service everywhere everyeone else does and I pay $58 with tax. just 3g though. fast enough for 99% of what I do anyway.

oh and it's Unlimited EVERYTHING. you guys paying what you do for your service with contracts and limited data are morons.

let me get this straight, I have to uphold my end of the contract, but verizon does not? gay!

Nope. Sounds to me like if you are moving from a 3G unlimited data (the grandfathered plan) to a 4G LTE data plan, the fact that you are grandfathered into a unlimited plan means nothing anymore, where earlier it meant something. You always have the option of not changing phones (and therefore not moving to the different network and rate plan), waiting until your contract is over and bailing to Sprint (who has unlimited, non-throttled data), or jumping ship early and paying the early term fee of $350 (if you got a smartphone).

It doesn't appear to me like they are automatically forcing everyone off the unlimited data plan, it just sounds like this is a move of attrition where all the people who want the ZOMG 4G LTE! phones that are coming off-contract and eligible for the upgrade will have a choice to make: pay more and re-up for 2 more years, or leave.

yeah niether does cricket. I have cricket and get service everywhere everyeone else does and I pay $58 with tax. just 3g though. fast enough for 99% of what I do anyway.

oh and it's Unlimited EVERYTHING. you guys paying what you do for your service with contracts and limited data are morons.

Wait...what is cricket? Never heard of that carrier?