Verizon to Scrap Unlimited Data

Cdubyah

I have a bad feeling AT&T will be doing this soon. I got a 4G LTE phone a few months ago and they grandfathered in my unlimited data. I'm sure they're gonna force me to a tiered plan at some point though. I would switch to sprint also but their coverage is by far the worst I've seen. My roommate has sprint and he has to stand outside the house to make calls.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got no intentions icon upgrading while my line is up for one next month. Like I said and we were told from Verizion that we could just buy phones how we chose to and we'd be good and still have our unlimited data. I posted a thread a while back on Verision being a douche or me see if I can find it.

I upgraded a couple of months ago and was able to keep my unlimited. I even switched to 4g and had no issues.

Interesting to see how they handle folks that were grandfathered in with a 4G device.

My question also, as I was grandfathered in with 4g. We are put of contract until next year I believe. If they screw us around I will contemplate straighttalk. We will probably drop smartphpnes anyway but I will leave on principal. I won't go back to ATT after their service went shitty and they dropped me.

I would be with sprint already if their service didn't suck where I live. my work phone is sprint and it doesnt even work at my house in the middle of CW.

sprints service absolutely sucks.

I travel the country for work and I get service just about everywhere I go.

What kind of phone do you have? If do you have a smartphone you can hack it and make it go to Verizon towers in the area. Another option is to call sprint and tell them you don't have service. They will give you an airwave that you can hook up to your home internet service and it makes a tower in your house.

The way I read that story, Verizon will have one plan that you can use several devices with...not that it's going to affect someone such as myself that only has a phone, and never plans to have anything else connected to my data plan.

I'm a grandfathered 4G unlimited data user, and I have five phones total on my Verizon account.

If Verizon does away with my unlimited plan, I will move to another carrier.

One thing i've found since i've been a Verizon user (since 2001), no matter what the main policy is, things can be individually negotiated.

I'm not worried I'll loose my unlimited data plan.

I've also never noticed my "speed" being slowed down due to usage (about 4GB per month).

I will most likely give up on Verizon before too long.

ATT's network has gotten a lot stronger in the last 6 years.

Cricket is the equivalent of Revol in Cbus. They both have decent coverage in town, but their networks do not reach out very far. I can't remember who they have roaming rights with...

i talked to them yesterday and they told me whenever i decide to upgrade to a 4g phone, my unlimited data will carry over with me. even said if i kick my mom and her bf off our family plan, they will both get to keep their unlimited data, even though they need to sign a new contract

i talked to them yesterday and they told me whenever i decide to upgrade to a 4g phone, my unlimited data will carry over with me. even said if i kick my mom and her bf off our family plan, they will both get to keep their unlimited data, even though they need to sign a new contract

Yes, as long as you deal with a person either at a store or on the phone you can keep your unlimited if you upgrade. And that will remain true until sometime this summer when this new plan goes into effect.

And Verizon just issued a statement clarifying how this is going to work. They are not going to force it mid-plan.....and if we buy full retail we get to keep our plan....now think this through gang...if we buy at Best Buy or online or from the soon to be announced Google Nexus store we will get to keep our plans.

• Customers will not be automatically moved to new shared data plans. If a 3G or 4G smartphone customer is on an unlimited plan now and they do not want to change their plan, they will not have to do so.

• When we introduce our new shared data plans, Unlimited Data will no longer be available to customers when purchasing handsets at discounted pricing.

• Customers who purchase phones at full retail price and are on an unlimited smartphone data plan will be able to keep that plan.

• The same pricing and policies will be applied to all 3G and 4GLTE smartphones.

Edited by Tonik
Because I can.

Wait...what is cricket? Never heard of that carrier?

Cricket...

http://www.centralohiowireless.com/prepaid/refill/CricketPAYgo.htm

T-Mobile seems to have pretty good price on their family unlimited plans...

http://www.centralohiowireless.com/contract-phone/carrier/tmobile.htm

My wife and I are both on the grandfathered unlimited plan, but I don't think

we use that much data at all and I consider myself a pretty heavy user.

Just checked our current data usage and its like this

(currently day 8 of 31 day billing cycle)...

David: 105.42MB of Unlimited

Melissa: 136.65MB of Unlimited

Edited by SWing'R

I see it as all hype....they been saying this shit forever. They will start negotiating it as some type of perk to get you to sign away your soul for another 2 years. "Well, I'll go ahead and transfer your unlimited data if you sign up for 2 more years"....if theres a way to do it for full retail price, there will be a way to do it for discounted.

i dont believe half the shit i read online....hell, i remember everyone crying that gas prices were going to be $5/gal by this time of year, back in january...and they were all sooo positive.....yea...whatever

I will most likely give up on Verizon before too long.

ATT's network has gotten a lot stronger in the last 6 years.

Cricket is the equivalent of Revol in Cbus. They both have decent coverage in town, but their networks do not reach out very far. I can't remember who they have roaming rights with...

97% of the places I've been to I have coverage. if there's a cell tower close I have service. that's with a smart phone. the old flip phone I had (samsung) had shit reception compared to the one I have now. I've been to places that my buddy didn't have service and I had full bars. he has cincinnati bell. cricket isn't all that bad honestly. I'd rather pay $58 than verizon's $100 something with limited everything lol. to even come close to the same unlimited plan I have you have to shell out $170 plus taxes a month for verizon.

my dad has verizon internet and he lives 20 min outside the 275 loop and barely has service. in fact he doesn't have 3g service but only normal service. same as my cricket phone at his house. and what's he pay......

Edited by serpentracer

Cricket...

http://www.centralohiowireless.com/prepaid/refill/CricketPAYgo.htm

T-Mobile seems to have pretty good price on their family unlimited plans...

http://www.centralohiowireless.com/contract-phone/carrier/tmobile.htm

My wife and I are both on the grandfathered unlimited plan' date=' but I don't think

we use that much data at all and I consider myself a pretty heavy user.

Just checked our current data usage and its like this

(currently day 8 of 31 day billing cycle)...

David: 105.42MB of Unlimited

Melissa: 136.65MB of Unlimited[/quote']

cricket paygo is garbage. you want the regular service.

http://www.mycricket.com/

I know I'm opening a can of worms but...Sprint has unlimited data and have never throttled my service back either.

^^^THIS^^^

I've been with Sprint for 2 years now, plan to re-up this summer and have had perfectly good service. The only place I have trouble catching 3g is out deer hunting in BFE Iowa. This is the only place I've seen a difference between Sprint and Verizon, my previous carrier. My family and I got in a plan for $40/mo. with unlimited data on my EVO. They give out a lot of different company discounts, IIRC. Not to mention keeping business away from Verizon/ATT keeps the competition up.

Minor, but noteworthy bit was Verizon blocks my friends from installing tethering apps on Android like FreeTether and PDA Net. Sprint does not, so if you tether and don't root you may have more options. This could just be my own observation.

Edited by smashweights

If you read the terms of service (I did, this morning), Verizon reserves the right to change any terms of service (e.g. # talk minutes, data co$t, et al) at any time.

You cannot currently upgrade your phone (at least to a 4G) online at VerizonWireless.com and keep your unlimited data plan - it forces you to chose one of the tiered plans.

However, Amazon Wireless allows to upgrade your phone (to a 4G phone) and keep unlimited data - it's one of the choices when you choose a plan. Still doesn't matter, as they're allowed by the contract you sign to change whatever they want to change, whenever they want to change it.

Actually we all (every carrier) reserves that right, for any reason at anytime.

I just called into Verizon about upgrading my phone and questioned about this service change. As of right now they aren't locking people into new plans if you call vs doing the online part ( I tried it and got that same problem).

In the end, with my promotions... I just upgraded my phone from a Droid X to a new Droid Razr Maxx for $136 and kept my unlimited data plan with a 2yr agreement. The lady explained that if they change plans in the future, I would be locked into my current contact until it expires...then subject to the increased price. (thought I know the ToS means they could change it at anytime)

...In the end, with my promotions... I just upgraded my phone from a Droid X to a new Droid Razr Maxx for $136 and kept my unlimited data plan with a 2yr agreement...

Did she offer that price willingly, or were you threatening to go somewhere else? I ask because the online price is $199, I have a $30 "we love you" discount from Verizon, and I would mind chopping another $30-some off that price.

How do you like the Maxx so far? It's what I'm looking at moving to, also from an X.

Just offered it too me, no threats made to leave. I've had an upgrade on my account for a while since I've been month to month, then they added the $100 current rebate they are offering. She said that as of right now, they haven't received any info about the new policy change so they can't enforce it yet. So I jumped on the bandwagon now to change my phone and lock into a contract with the hope that it would stay the same until end of contract.

I don't have it yet, I did it all on the phone then, so the Razr is on 2 day delivery. Since I'm out on work till Friday, I won't get it till then. I tested one out a few months ago at a verizon store and liked it.

Edited by SJC1000rr