First Week On The Vstrom....

jnor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've now got a week, and 1600 miles in with my Vstrom.... I bought it a week ago Saturday, and ride it last weekend to break it in, then changed the oil, and filter.

Headed down thru West Virginia on 2 lanes and stopped at Fancy Gap, Va. for the night, then down the BRP to the end, and to Robbinsville...Then back home here in Ohio.

I bought the bike for a sport touring use, I had a FJR, and never really "connected" with it..I didn't like the ergo's, it was top heavy...just never liked it, most/lots of people love them though. I have no intentions doing any "off roading/gravel etc. with the Vee.

I lowered it with adjustable links, and that all I've done to it.

My wife actually steered me to it, because she said the passenger seat looked comfortable, and she says it is. We have 2 Kawasaki Versys also, though she is done riding on her own. The Versys is a tie with Gen1 Yamaha FZ1's as my favorite motorcycle in 40+ years of riding...but the Vstrom is right there also. The only "issue" I have is that in dirty air behind a semi, the wind buffets the bike side to side some..I have the windshield in the highest setting, maybe that's it....

After 1600+ miles I love the Vstrom. I like the engine, the ergo's, the storage, and the handling...so far so good

P1010095.jpg

P1010108.jpg

• Upvote 1

So its a 1k (Vstrom) vs 6fiddy (Wee Strom)?

Both are Vstroms. Only the DL650 gets the nickname WeeStrom.

The bike pictured above is a DL1000. As mentioned you can tell because there are 2 exhausts, the DL650 has a RHS exhaust only.

Craig

Jnor,

Pick up the MadStad windshield bracket and spend a couple hours adjusting the snot out of it, a half inch at a time. :-) Once you get it just right, it will be SO much better.

You could also pick up the Givi windshield if you find your current windshield and a Madstad bracket aren't doing it for you. I have both and at 5'8" find them to be a great combo on my WeeStrom.

Good looking bike, glad you're liking it. I'll have to stop by and check it out sometime. Been kicking around the idea of finding my last bike, something like a Concours 1400, ST1300, something like that, but the more I look at the bigger touring bikes the more I like my VFR. Guess I just need to ride one and see how they feel.

The V-Strom 1k is a lot like the Beemer in its intended use and performance, though the RT version I ride has absolutely no offroad capability. So, I mostly appreciate where you're coming from. I hope you enjoy the bike.

I found I like the twin engine a lot for touring. It's more like a motorcycle should be, it seems to me, and somehow the vibration from a twin is more soothing than tiring. Not as smooth as the fours, though.

Is there a full faring for the Strom? I'm not sure it's the whole story, but the Beemer's fully fared and it cuts through dirty air completely true.

There are a lot of stroms on the road, but, as is true of most bikes, I don't see many of them up by the lake! Milwaukee iron seems to be the overwhelming mount up hereabouts.

Glad you got a bike you like. My brother likes his V-Strom 1000. I've ridden it & it seems that it would make a great all arounder. I felt like a long inverted pendulum when cornering but I think thats just because of the contrast to my CBRs. Many happy miles to you.

Jnor,

Pick up the MadStad windshield bracket and spend a couple hours adjusting the snot out of it, a half inch at a time. :-) Once you get it just right, it will be SO much better.

You could also pick up the Givi windshield if you find your current windshield and a Madstad bracket aren't doing it for you. I have both and at 5'8" find them to be a great combo on my WeeStrom.

+1 On the Madstad. I actually have a couple positions I use depending on the circumstances.

I have the stock screen and find that full up and forward provides good wind protection. Its best on the freeway or during the winter.

Full down a half back provides the the least buffeting with plenty of air flow for slower speeds and hotter days.

Most of the positions I have tried in between result in horrible helmet buffeting. However everyone seems to be different.

I think the full up and forward position would benefit me with a little larger screen but I have been too cheap so far.

Craig

Please give me my bike back. :p

StromonBridgeHDR.jpg

Just an opinion but when the time come to replace the chain and sprockets consider going to a 44 tooth rear. It is a dramatic difference in power and smoothness. Of course down side is that now your speedo is off by 14% instead of the factory 9%. :lol:

After having the Vee for a month, I love it !!!! I've made a trip down the BRP, and to the Gap...rode 2up enough to tell it's a perfect choice for us. I moved the top box back 2.5" with a bracket a buddy made, now with my wife on the back we have plenty of room. I ran into a guy in Robbinsville on a Vee, and he called it "the suv of motorcycles"...gotta point :D It's a "keeper"...

I put a fork brace on it, and it seems to have fixed the "buffeting" problem on the highway, as well as made it handle better in the twisties. I put soupy's performance adjustable links, and adjustable kickstand on it also.

I still have my green Versys also, which is also one of my favorite's......