Who knows about the Ducati ST2?

Ryan_c_F

Found what appears to be a bitchin good deal on one... just want to make sure that I know what I'd be getting in to.

Are these finicky bikes? Unreliable (for an Italian)? Dangerous suspension quirks a-la-TL1000?

Adequate for a larger rider?

I know a guy that does great Ducati work.. but he's kind of an asshole.

I know that guy!

They're great bikes' date=' and very rewarding to ride, but ownership has it's irritations.. at times.[/quote']

could be said for all Ducati, (or other italian) no?

Finicky? Yes. Unreliable? Depends. Be watchful for failed charging systems. Suspension is adequate' date=' but not superb. Larger riders should be cozy on one, even for a distance. The 2-valve engine is less expensive to maintain than the 4-valve engine. No flaking rocker issues, that I can recall on that engine.

I'd buy the ST3, myself.. but for the right money the ST2 would be a close second. The ST4 is maintenance hungry and too much of a burden, in my opinion. Although, they're quite nice when properly tuned and running well. Sweet bikes.

I know a guy that does great Ducati work.. but he's kind of an asshole.

They're great bikes, and very rewarding to ride, but ownership has it's irritations.. at times.[/quote']

Oh, come on, you know I'd be going ducrx.

It's a '98, with 6300 miles, for just under $3400.00.

I'm a little wary that there are so few miles on a sport touring bike... smacks of either a lot of time in the shop or a lot of time in the garage.

The ST4 is maintenance hungry and too much of a burden' date=' in my opinion. Although, they're quite nice when properly tuned and running well. Sweet bikes.

I know a guy that does great Ducati work.. but he's kind of an asshole.[/quote']

HEY!!!! No slamming on the ST4 (says the guy who just got his bike back from Delaware after the rear wheel bearings went out.)

Here's a small snippet from Cycle World as a best used bike buy.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/03/22/ducati-st2-st4-st3-best-used-bikes/

Proper service by a trained tech is important on these bikes so make sure you get one with decent records. My friend has one but he always tried to do the service himself or have one of his friends do it and they royally messed it up.